New BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianAZ

I recently purchased the Uniden BCD436HP, I am a long time listener of the Tucson Police Department. ..although now digital I made the purchase, but I am having a hard time understanding the simple things. I would consider myself tech savy, but what gives? I add the zip code and do not hear Tucson Police Department. Any help will be appreciated.

I made sure that I included Dispatch in the settings, etc.

I feel like I covered the basics, but not able to get it working.

joeuser

The Wretched
I recently purchased the Uniden BCD436HP, I am a long time listener of the Tucson Police Department. ..although now digital I made the purchase, but I am having a hard time understanding the simple things. I would consider myself tech savy, but what gives? I add the zip code and do not hear Tucson Police Department. Any help will be appreciated.

Update the radio with the sentinel software yet? The stock antenna ain't that great, have you replaced it?

BrianAZ

I cant win.
I downloaded the software and the PC sees it, but the software doesnt. I try and connect via serial and mass storage, the PC (windows 8.1) does but the software doesn't show the device. Assuming you can download the data or upload to the device.

It just seems like it should be so much easier than this... like I am missing a key, but simple step?

Thanks for your help!

joeuser

The Wretched
I cant win.
I downloaded the software and the PC sees it, but the software doesnt. I try and connect via serial and mass storage, the PC (windows 8.1) does but the software doesn't show the device. Assuming you can download the data or upload to the device.

It just seems like it should be so much easier than this... like I am missing a key, but simple step?

Thanks for your help!

Simple when you get used to it. When you plug in the scanner, it will ask Serial or MASS STORAGE - you want mass storage. Then run Sentinel. Go to update database & that section - you should see your radio. Remember, always remove the scanner from Windows like you would any USB memory device.

Serial is used when you want to run software with the radio &/or draw power from the USB connection.

When you goof up, its best to unplug the radio from USB & power the radio off. That might be why it didn't see it when you went from serial to mass storage.

Seriously, make sure you stop the unit from within windows USB & then unplug it. Its a memory device & if you forget - its not the end of the world but there is more work ahead. Serial mode its not an issue.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
BrianAZ
Hang in there. These new x36HPs are anything but easy to use. I have had many scanners, and these are among the toughest to master. At first, they can be a real PITA. However, I think they are great scanners, and once mastered (that is a relative term, at least for me), they are the best scanners I have used. Some seem to disagree, but among those actually who own these units, the majority opinion is that they are great.
I find the zipcode thing a waste of time here in Los Angeles. Spend time learning favorite lists, service selection, quick keys, and you will find the 436HP (and 536HP) to be very flexible scanners.
My daughter and son-in-law live in Phoenix. Have had my 436HP there several times and find it great for digital trunking of RWC and TOPAZ. Also excellent results in Vegas.
BTW, not a Uniden fan boy, just a scanner fan boy, believe me, I will have the new higher end Whistlers (never owned the PSR-800) when available and give them a good comparison here in LA.
Steve AA6IO

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hello Brian,

One of the things that you need to make sure is that you have enabled the different service types that you want to hear. By default, I believe, only a few are enabled.

So, make sure that you have enabled "Law Dispatch", "Law Tac" and "Law Talk", for example to hear the law enforcement TG's on PCWIN.

You would turn on the same for the Fire activity, etc.

If you are unsure which service to enable, look at the service type you need, take a look at the PCWIN database tag. That correlates to the service type that must be enabled, "on" in the services area of the radio, for you to hear the traffic associated with the desired TG.

Hopefully, it will be as simple as that :) If that does not solve, it I'd be happy to help you out in person.

FLANO

BrianAZ

Thank goodness, I used the Sentinel software. I knew it was something simple, HomePatrol software looks like it will work, but it doesnt. :) Figured I would post that here.

Now for fine tuning, I was adjusting the squelch, but I noticed that some of the audio for TPD sounds like they are under water. Any easy adjustments that make the audio more clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.