NEW BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

yankees6161

I just purchased the 436 and installed a Diamond RH77CA antenna and alot of what in hearing seems to start in mid conversation. Im new to the whole scanner thing. for now I have programmed the scanner with my zip code untill I get Sentinal figured out. I have updated fir and software. Any advise will be greatly appreciated

SCPD

QRT
Try playing with the P25 adjustments(p25 mode 8 not auto) or the delays on channels(set to 2).On important channels,set them to priority and turn on Priority DND.this way when the channel talks it goes right to it(dont be afraid to put alot of channels in priority)

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
"Full Database" scan (by zip code as you have it) is definitely your problem. I have no doubt you are catching conversations in mid sentence and completely missing others because the Full Database loads everything it "thinks" is possible into your scanner. Depending on the user selections you have such as Range, Service Types and how many systems/ channels there are in your area, they can all slow the scanning down.

In my area of Virginia for instance, I can set the range to a zero and it will still load trunked systems that I cannot receive, such as West Virginia SIRN. It will also load every Virginia STARS site that it thinks I may receive, even if I can't. It will also load some state frequencies that are 2-3 hours away that there is no way I can receive. Each site/ system scanned takes an extra 1-2 seconds of scan time. Every conventional frequency takes extra time as well. It is better to limit what you are scanning to what you can actually receive- for a faster scan time. This only compounds the wider of a range that is selected in the scanner.

While the zip code/ Full Database method is OK for traveling, it is better to create Favorites Lists in Sentinel (as I think you are figuring out). Sentinel was a little awkward for me at first, but I have virtually no problem now. Just try updating your database in Sentinel and then creating a Favorites List by "dropping" the portions of the database you want into your FL. Also, while you're in Sentinel, update your scanner firmware to make sure you have the latest.

The scanner may be overwhelming at first, but ask questions as you have them. Also, visit your state's forum here on RadioReference. They may be able to answer some more local questions about programming. Keep asking and you'll be fine!

SCPD

QRT
Why would the scanner drop a signal if its in Full database? That would mean you cant use the 436HP in that form? I had no issues when the scanner was in Full database mode,aside from hearing the occasional
nonsense chat from the DPW and taxi services.Just set the sccanner for the service types you want.Lockout anything you dont want to hear.
True it is more useful if you make your own scanlists with the towns you want to hear but having full ldatabase on shouldnt hinder hearing a transmission.

rwier

yankees6161;2805021 " ... [B said:
I have programmed the scanner with my zip code untill I get Sentinal figured out[/B] .... "

My opinion only:

Well, there's your problem. Don't wait. Start simple.

Assuming a fixed (home) location, or if travelling, within 10 miles of home:

1) In the Sentinel Database, find Systems, Agencies, Departments, Channels, etc., that you desire to listen to.

2) APPEND, APPEND, APPEND!!!!!!! I recommend more FLs instead of less. Remember, you will be able to turn FLs on/off with a few simple keystrokes. For MOST CASES, I recommend limiting the number of entities (TGs or Channels) per FL to 20 (10 is even better). Be creative in naming your new FLs so you will know what entities they contain.

An example of 1) and 2) above: Assume a large Trunked System. Append the Entire (I will get some flack here) System multiple times to multiple different named FLs. The FLs might be named in a manner like:

Big City PD North
Big City PD East
Big City PD West
Big City PD South
Big City PD Central
Big City FD North
Big City FD East
Big City FD West
Big City FD South
Big City FD Central

3) In Sentinel, Top Row of Icons, 5th Icon from the left, a Gold Star with a Little Pencil. This is where it happens!!! Avoid,delete,rename (etc.) TGs, Channels, Sites (etc.) in the individual FLs to make them conform to your liking.

In the FL Editor, assign QKs to your FLs (01 to 10). For each FL, Options, Location Control, set to No. For each FL, Options, FL Quick Key, Select QK 01 to 10, as desired. Type up a "cheat sheet" showing the FL/QK relationships. Print the "cheat Sheet".

Be sure to Save your Editing.

In Sentinel, Top Center, Scanner>check Erase FLs on Scanner and Force Write Full DB.
When turned on, the Scanner should start out scanning only your selected FLs. Turn FLs ON/OFF by FL number followed by E.Yes.

Caveat: It is probably not possible for me to organize the above instructions without making a serious error and/or leaving out something very important. Do not worry, several RR experts will jump at the chance to make corrections. If you run into a "snag", identify the problem as completely as possible (be very specific and indicate the exact step that appears to be the problem.

Note: Don't be intimidated by the verbose instructions above. The most difficult part of the above sequence was typing out these instructions. With a little practice, you can Create a new FL, Edit it, and Write (it) to the Scanner, in 5 minutes or less.

Again, these are just my personal recommendations.

Last edited:

GeekNJ

Why would the scanner drop a signal if its in Full database? That would mean you cant use the 436HP in that form? I had no issues when the scanner was in Full database mode

The response to the original poster was that the time to scan everything loaded in the full database takes a while to cycle through. That would mean one is more likely to miss or catch a transmission in the middle vs catch the majority of a conversation on a frequency.

The suggestion was to create favorite lists with the frequencies you are most interested in, most likely much less than everything in your range in the full database, and you will cycle through each list faster.

The full database won't cause anything to drop once the scanner stops in a frequency and that's not what the original poster reported.

yankees6161

Thanks guys, I have managed to make 1 favorite list (for now) with sentinel and got it down loaded to the scanner. Much better, still trying to find the p25 adjustments on the scanner. This whole experience is pretty overwhelming

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Make sure you are updated to the latest firmware through sentinel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou9155

i just got a bcd436 too its a great scanner ..just take your time..explore the menus .see marksscanners.com for great info on the software too my rh77ca is ariving tomorow

yankees6161

For some reason I cannot get the p25 adjustment to work but I will keep messing with it. Some times my scanner will pause on a frequency but I hear nothing. I'm assuming that frequency is encrypted. Am I correct in thinking that?

SCPD

QRT
Enc

If it doesnt say ENC on the display no.
Try changing the delay to 2 for That system.
A great idea is to get a better quality SD card for the 436hp,that solves alot of woes.
Dont get too big or it will load slower.

yankees6161

Can some one please get your crayons out and draw me a picture on how to make p25 adjustments. I have read the manual and tried to find videos on YouTube. I'm plumb confused

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Dont get too big or it will load slower.

Not true.

Boot time has no relation to card size, it depends on card speed, the size of your active Favorite Lists, and the number of recorded audio files on the card if you have recording turned on.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
Can some one please get your crayons out and draw me a picture on how to make p25 adjustments. I have read the manual and tried to find videos on YouTube. I'm plumb confused

Press Menu then scroll to Manage Favorites and press E/yes.
Scroll to the Favorites List and press E/yes.
Scroll to Review/Edit System and press E/yes.
Scroll to the System you want to edit and press E/yes.
Scroll to Edit Sys Option and press E/yes.
Scroll to P25 Threshold Mode and press E/yes.
Scroll to Manual and press E/Yes.
Scroll to P25 Threshold Level and press E/Yes

Enter the number you desire and press E/Yes.

yankees6161

After I get to edit sys options I have nothing that says anything about p25 threshold mode on any of the sites I have listed although some sights I listen to are p25

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
P25 adjustments are under Edit Site, not the Edit Sys Options menu.

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jon, my bad - I copied/pasted from the manual, I should have double checked on my radio before pressing reply.

yankees6161

Thanks for all the help. some times the scanner will stop on a sight with no sound. Do I need to adjust those settings to hear something

Status
Not open for further replies.