New BCD536HP DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellykeeton

well this sucks.. took the scanner out of the box. tried to set the time zone and cant.
cant do anything actually seems the "push Function key" is broken.

do I return this to the place I purchased it or uniden direct..

I dont fault uniden but this is rather ****ty, I took a day off work to play with it.

I updated the firmware.. nothing.. I thumped on it a little, nothing. I cant rotate the knob - and get any feedback from the unit. While typing this it started beeping and the time zone selection was going crazy.. but it wont let me select anything.

Edit 536 not 636 that is a typo

Mod Edit to correct typo in thread title

Last edited by a moderator:

NFR85

Where did you buy it from? I would contact them and ask them where to return it to.

kellykeeton

if it looks impressive how its packed into the box - its even more "fun" to try and cram it back in there after you spent all your pennies on it.. then to have to pay shipping to send it back.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
well this sucks.. took the scanner out of the box. tried to set the time zone and cant.

I dont fault uniden but this is rather ****ty, I took a day off work to play with it.

I updated the firmware.. nothing.. I thumped on it a little, nothing. I cant rotate the knob - and get any feedback from the unit. While typing this it started beeping and the time zone selection was going crazy.. but it wont let me select anything.

Which scanner do you actually have 536 or 436?

If it is a 536 have you tried to use the DC power adapter for your car? Maybe the wall wart power supply is bad and you are not getting enough voltage. However, getting it replaced will be a problem since they have been recalled for all the dealers and soon users.

If it is a 436 have you tried different USB cables some folks got bad ones.

kellykeeton

Yea typo 536

Using the factory wart - I will try on my bench supply but if the voltage is that sensitive to failure - I will just return the product and not get another.

I will give it a shot - little pissed at the moment so it's sitting in the shipping box

Yes, well the return process isn't really my problem - either HRO will refund or uniden will replace the unit.

dmaria

Edit 536 not 636 that is a typo

I'm a little confused. As I remember, you turned the dial to to MOVE the cursor and then pressed "E yes" to enter the character. Why would you need to push the function key to set the date and time. Of course, my memory may be malfunctioning also.

Dave

kellykeeton

That's what the key is called on the front panel of the radio "the big knob"
I can "dial" it and it won't "rotate" my selection.
The scanner beeps like it's turning - but can't select the time zone I want I can hit 'e' to DST and the default -6 time zone and the next option is set date but I can't set the year and get a error "out of range"

That's as far as I can get. I can press buttons and get to the main scanner screen
I can press menu and get to the menu but I can't select anything there.

The unit is likely defective on the electronics for the "big knob"

I did open the unit as there is no stickers that say "void of opened" and all cables look in place and connected - after the kids go to bed I will see if I can't safely take the face plate off and try a "real power supply"

Also note as a life time uniden scanner owner this scanner on my opinion has a manufacturing fault. I own every other scanner in the lineup.

N8IAA

That's what the key is called on the front panel of the radio "the big knob"
I can "dial" it and it won't "rotate" my selection.
The scanner beeps like it's turning - but can't select the time zone I want I can hit 'e' to DST and the default -6 time zone and the next option is set date but I can't set the year and get a error "out of range"

That's as far as I can get. I can press buttons and get to the main scanner screen
I can press menu and get to the menu but I can't select anything there.

The unit is likely defective on the electronics for the "big knob"

I did open the unit as there is no stickers that say "void of opened" and all cables look in place and connected - after the kids go to bed I will see if I can't safely take the face plate off and try a "real power supply"

Also note as a life time uniden scanner owner this scanner on my opinion has a manufacturing fault. I own every other scanner in the lineup.

You just voided the warranty. And stated it on RR.
Larry

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a rotary encoder issue, maybe a bad connection to it. I'm sure Uniden would appreciate letting them diagnose and isolating it themselves. It sucks I'm sure... but for the greater good and all. They'll make it right for you.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest a factory reset.
Turn on scanner while pressing 2-9-department keys
Now try entering time see if that works .

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I seriously don't understand why somebody would tinker around with a radio when they take it out of the box and it does not work at all. If the radio is DOA when Sorry **** happens. When companies make 50K of these at a time there are going to be a unit here and there that is DOA.

Instead of opening the radio and messing with it on your work bench and start to run your own tests, WHY I ask WHY. Just put it back in the back and take it back to HRO and be done with it and exchange it and get another new one and issue is over with.

Help me understand WHY people? Am I missing a bolt somewhere?

kellykeeton

yes you are missing something, your part of the disposable nation. you throw away things because you dont care. help me understand what is wrong with you. I must be missing a bolt somewhere.

there are a lot of good reasons, first I spent $600 bucks on a broken brick. I have every right to open it and see if I can fix it. No where in the warentee or product is there a "DO NOT OPEN THE CASE" clause. It saves me shipping, It saves HRO time and money, It saves Uniden Time and Money. If it was simply a loose cable for example. I happen to like Uniden and HRO and want to save them time and money.

I am sorry that you dont have the ability to fix things, or even comprehend why someone would try and save a company time and money - let alone try to solve a problem without making it someone elses problem. Your welcome over to my workbench to get some missing bolts back.

kellykeeton

just got off the phone with support.. trying to see if they cant "do the headphone repair" if I send it to them direct. (saving me a future shipping package times two) rather then going to HRO for the repair.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Honestly I still don't understand why you would want to fix something that you paid 600 bucks new for an item which should be in perfect working order when you bought the radio?

What happens when you open the radio and you start to try and fix it and by accident you make an honest mistake and then Uniden can prove that you opened it up and broke it and they say " Well sir since it was a new item and it was DOA on arrival, why didn't you just call us and we would be happy to excahnge it for you for FREE and Sorry for the DOA item???????????????

Help me here? I am being completely serious right now.

Trust me I can fix a lot of things that I buy as a "Used Item" to where the warranty does not exist.

But for a new item out of the box and there is no use-able information on the internet for a fix since these unit are two weeks old you must be living in your own world somewhere on this earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.