New BCD996P2 Scanner - Waterloo Region P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner1971

Hi:

I just got a BCD996P2 scanner delivered today. I have programmed it three times now to receive the new Waterloo Region P25 system but it isn't working. The signal is 5 bars.

The first time that I programmed it I was able to get the police talkgroups but of course it is gobbley-goop due to encryption. I was also able to receive a digital talkgroup 5805 10-2. The fire talkgroups only got picked up a few times. I have installed the latest firmware 1.08.01.

The 2nd and 3rd programming resulted in only picking up one or two fire transmissions over a period of hours. The fire channels were quite active on Broadcastify during this time.

Please bail me out.

Thanks much.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
How'd the few times you did get fire sound? Distorted at all?

What sort of antenna setup is going here? Just the factory one?

Wondering if it's a simulcast issue since Waterloo P25 is only one site.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you programmed by hand so we can not see your programming.
#1 If it is programmed right you are still in a SIMULCAST SYSTEM AREA and that scanner is not designed to work with those systems.
#2 Look at the SDS200 the only scanner on the market designed to work in SIMULCAST SYSTEM AREAS.

BC_Scan

What about using the stock antenna and try to collapse it to the desired freq, then move it around on axis to orient towards a tower?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What about using the stock antenna and try to collapse it to the desired freq, then move it around on axis to orient towards a tower?
None of that is likely to help. The whole reason the SDS models were developed was to deal with simulcast reception issues. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you got the wrong tool for the job.

gary123

Actually, some of the simulcast issues can be fixed IF your able to reduce the amount of incoming signal to a level where one site is strong enough to capture the receiver. This can sometimes be done by either pointing an antenna at one site and getting a strong enough signal from it to capture out the other site. Or reducing the incoming signal to a point again where one site only is heard.

If your unlucky enough to be in a spot where both sites are the same strength or so close they bounce between them selves for the strongest signal then you are stuck having to look at a SDS.
I would try playing with antennas before making the switch to a SDS.

NOTE: ultimately it would be better to get a SDS as this would permanently fix the issue and not be subject to future changes or signal variations on the system over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.