New bcd996t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I live in quartz hill ca. And am starting from scratch with zero knowledge, any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get police fire and things of that nature

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This is an older scanner, but LA County is mostly using older conventional systems all of which can be received by your radio. I never had a 996T, but I do have a 396T which is the handheld equivalent. You should get a programming cable and some software like Freescan. You can then load frequencies from the Radio Reference data base. You will be able to receive LA County Fire, Sheriff and the CHP to name a few. Also aircraft if you are interested in that. The 996 receives some trunked systems. It only does P25 phase 1 digital. However, LAPD is using that so you can receive them as well (may not be in range at your location). If agencies move to the new county wide trunked system you will be out of luck so enjoy the 996T while you can.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The newer scanners add more system types that can be copied (and are also more expensive), but unless the database shows them as being in your area, and if you have no interest in monitoring them, then the answer is no, you really don't. Getting a good antenna up away from obstructions and feeding it with the correct coax type will help you 'get more'.

Mike

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As long as the scanner you have is capable of receiving your local systems, then learning how to program it will be more beneficial than buying a new scanner.

The newer models are more convenient to program, and have more features, but are also more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.