New BNSF switchman...can you guys help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegas34

My Kenwood packset was stolen last week, and it's quite a process (police reports, admin crap, etc.) to get another one SO i was hoping you guys could let me know what kind of radios we use. I never paid much attention, but I really need to replace it. Figured I'd buy one, and then when my stolen one is replaced, I'll have one for a backup. thanks...

Rob
gounlv98@yahoo.com

I have seen most other switchmen use Motorola packs, and yes the newer Kenwoods. As long it can transmit and recieve over AAR allocated railroad channels, you should have no problems.

You may also check with the radio shop to see if they have any loaners around. We had a guy at Lincoln Yard left his at home by accident and was able to obtain a loaner.

Hope this helps and good luck!
From a former BNSF Conductor, Lincoln, Ne. Nebraska Division....

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
you might be able to get by with any handheld that uses your common freqs,

But I think New BNSF conductors are getting Kenwood tk-2180's same with UP conductors.

not cheap by any stretch of the imagination

EDIT: Found this for ya... Buy at your own risk

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-VHF-TK-...ryZ46539QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have the software and BNSF config file for both the 2180 at 290 if you can find somebody to program them for you.

Last edited:

Cowthief

Packsets?

Hello.

I have never seen a Kenwood packset.
The very last of the packset I saw was something built for a MX-3xx series Motorola talkie.
I took a STX radio and put it in the MX talkies place, worked fine right up to the switch to EDACS.
Is the Kenwood like a newer Motorola, where the packset is a housing for a talkie?
Or, is this like the older units, where boards are a part of the packset?

karldotcom

My buddy used to work at Diesel Service in Commerce, CA.....he would find a radio in a cab about once a month. I think he had four last time I asked. If you are near a servicing point you might try that route.

Nasby

I would go on Ebay and buy a classic Motorola MT-1000 16 channel VHF radio. They cost about $100-$150 and often include the battery, charger, and speaker mic. Many sellers offer free programming of the radio with a purchase. The MT-1000 is very rugged and has excellent performance. It also has a scan feature that allows the user to scan 8 channels at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.