New Braunfels PD

KG1ADP

Moto
Premium Subscriber
Anybody else notice that New Braunfels PD Primary is in the clear now. I am listening to it on the calls platform and hearing dispatch.

NC5267

I'll check it out. Haven't monitored LCRA in a few days. Dispatch has been in the clear a lot in the past month or two. A year or two or ago, they were in the clear, then went back to full encryption the next day.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
When I was living down there I remember occasionally hearing dispatch in the clear and units encrypted. Sometimes it would happen for a few days and then go back to full-time encryption.

Did they recently have a leadership change? If so, its possible that they may have unencrypted for transparency?

tkowalik

Banned
Back to full encryption today 3/19/23
Probably figured out criminals were listening.

Not sure which is worse, seemingly blindly leaving dispatch in the clear and strapping when people on RR pointed it out, or having someone on RR monitoring.

Of course all could be coincidence. Doubt it.

NC5267

They have done the same thing a few times over the years. Clear for about a day then back to FTE. Probably something on the console they hit then next shift or a supervisor notices encryption isn't on then switch it back.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Back to full encryption today 3/19/23
Or someone saw this thread and fixed it. Sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut when you discover something.

(Not referring to you NC5267, just in general)

tkowalik

Banned
Or someone saw this thread and fixed it. Sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut when you discover something.

(Not referring to you NC5267, just in general)
And if that’s true, that’s pretty sad and sick. Goes against the whole reason to strap it, doesn’t it?

W5HLM

Premium Subscriber
Has anybody heard the rumor that they are moving to OpenSky (I think through the an LCRA system) later this year (2023)?

NC5267

Yeah, they have pretty moved as far as I know all public safety to the P25 system from the OpenSky system. I also heard they were going to phase out OpenSky.