New Buncombe Digital Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
I've touched on this a little but wanted to get others ideas. I live in Haywood County and rarely will I pick up on traffic on the digital frequencies from Buncombe with my 996XLT, much more in the analog stuff. Would I have better luck inside the county, do others have good luck monitoring this set?

kd8x

I drive through Buncombe 2 times every day and hear the East and West sites but they are pretty much limited to Buncombe County....

trumpetman

Database Admin
As mentioned before you're not going to hear traffic on the 700 MHz system unless you're in the county, and once you're in the county it's still going to still be difficult to reliably hear the system. Between the already prevalent simulcast issues, you also have to deal with severe multi-path that bounces the signals off the mountains on top of that. These new P25 systems are designed to be highly directional and fall within the jurisdictional boundaries as well as possible to maximize the reuse of spectrum and achieve smaller buffer zones.

I've been able to hear the system fairly well on the south end of town since they haven't saturated the area with an overwhelming amount of signal. Busbee Mtn. covers well down the valley following I-26 & Hwy 25. Once I'm in the city or anywhere else around the county all bets are off as there are numerous sites providing coverage to a single point.

fyrboy

At 3 PM today, Buncombe EOC said that "due to maintenance", and "until further notice", they would be unable to receive transmissions on the 700 MHz system.

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
Being witihn 10 miles or less to the county line, I had hoped that I could get more 700 traffic but it looks like that may not happen...I do understand that analog and digital are 2 different animals too. I was curious though to see if anyone could tell me why I am able to get such good reception of the Bearwallow Mtn.transmitter (Henderson County) where I am in Canton/Clyde. Viper/digital and analog both seem to be heard often and well while I get much less from the other surrounding counties/transmitters besides Chambers Mtn. near me.

trumpetman

Database Admin
These systems are engineered down to a mile or two, or it's just dumb luck and the site they picked on the west side of the county is shielded to the west.

Bearwallow is an impressive site, I hear it in here in Charlotte with little to no effort. If I'm on the west side of Charlotte I can work the 105 machine mobile as long as the atmosphere isn't awful. 800 coverage is surprisingly exceptional as well. RF is tricky to say the least.

AlphaFive

Buncombe 700 mhz

The west system (WQPL588) has a repeater, site 4 on Pisgah Highway. The three systems I have found are WQPL588, WQPL590, & WQPL591. I'm up in Weaverville and it works great

kd8x

Here of late the 700 MHz system has been really hot on hwy 74 between Pea Ridge Rd exit 170 and Forest City, NC...The coverage has been better even reaching down into Hendersonville area....Somebody much have hit the high power switch somewhere....

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber
These systems are engineered down to a mile or two, or it's just dumb luck and the site they picked on the west side of the county is shielded to the west.

Bearwallow is an impressive site, I hear it in here in Charlotte with little to no effort. If I'm on the west side of Charlotte I can work the 105 machine mobile as long as the atmosphere isn't awful. 800 coverage is surprisingly exceptional as well. RF is tricky to say the least.

Wow, that is impressive! What antenna set are you using?

thrownout27

Premium Subscriber

Do you ever run into simulcast problems with their system?

Status
Not open for further replies.