New Castle County "Squads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I notice while listening to New Castle County that on Tac 3 I hear some companies designated Squad such as Squad 14 and Squad 9. Are these fire apparatus? And how does this match up with the apparatus designation ( I.e. Engine 14-2 Engine 14-3) or is it a special services unit?

Septa3371CSX1

I notice while listening to New Castle County that on Tac 3 I hear some companies designated Squad such as Squad 14 and Squad 9. Are these fire apparatus? And how does this match up with the apparatus designation ( I.e. Engine 14-2 Engine 14-3) or is it a special services unit?

I'm thinking it's a Rescue pumper.

delaware74b

With the adoption of 'plain language' vs 10-codes, a lot of companies are using descriptive names instead of the station-number system. For example, 45-6 may be announced as 'Rescue 45', although Kent Center will recognize it as 45-6 from it's radio ID on the P25 system.

delaware74b

Typically, rescue/rescue-pumpers are designated as -6. I was looking through Kent County's stations, there are some that are numbered other than -6. With that said, numbering is at the discretion of each fire company. I can tell you they were -6 in the early 80's through mid 90's as a standard.

firechaser51

Premium Subscriber
I believe there is a difference between a squad and a rescue engine. I think squads carry some extrication equipment while rescue engines carry more, such as Hurst tools. If you go to Christiana's website, they have a Powerpoint presentation regarding the changing of apparatus ID's. They also have a checklist for the rescue engine.
Documents - Christiana Fire Company

In Newark, a few of the engines are now called squads, such as 9-5 and 7-4. It was interesting when they first switched over. Fireboard had to correct them when they went on air with their old designation.

Status
Not open for further replies.