• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New cb user in Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hey everyone just ordered a new Uniden CB from the source up here.

Just trying to figure out what a new user might need (antennas, licence, etc...)

Any input would be great!!

TheSpaceMan

The antenna is the essential component of any station. A good base antenna will make all the difference in the world! Depending on your budget, you may want to go for a basic A99, or something more expensive like an IMAX 2000, or one of the fine Mako or a Sirio verticals.

mrweather

No licence is required. Industry Canada did away with the General Radio Service licence (which CB was officially called up here) in the late 1980's.

As far as what to listen to in Mississauga, a lot of it will be channel 19 around the 401.

Unit243

I see you are in Mississauga , I dont know about am , but on sideband a lot of people hang out on lower 38 , which is basically the skip channel anyway lol . For an antenna I run a Maco alpha 58 5/8 ground plane , it's a pretty good omni..

SCPD

QRT
On thanks for the info guys looks like I found a little Wilson at Radio world might go pick that up once I can get the radio installed in my vehicle...

And one more question, where can hook my cb up for a power supply been doing some google searching and so far I've found stuff about hooking up the DC cables to the engine? Sounds quite complicated. Is there maybe a DC adapter for the cigarette litre that I could hock up instead...

mrweather

Using the cigarette lighter/auxiliary power outlet will certainly work (CB radios only draw a couple of amps on transmit) but don't be surprised if received signals are noisy. The best (and quietest) power source is a direct run to the car battery.

SCPD

QRT
Yeah not a big fan of radio world (were very rude when I bought my PSR 800) maybe Durham radio can install it for me apparently it says on there website there the “cb experts"

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Yeah not a big fan of radio world (were very rude when I bought my PSR 800) maybe Durham radio can install it for me apparently it says on there website there the “cb experts"

Really isn't that hard to install. Red goes on red. Black goes on black. And plug in the cig lighter adaptor. Or direct to the battery as suggested. And away ya go.

Just have to find an out of the way place to mount the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.