• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New CCR brand?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I started watching that video, but stopped a few minutes in.
  • The color display is interesting, but difficult to read because the digits have been crammed together with almost no spacing in between.
Sorry. This radio is a "hard pass" for me.

Nailed it with that one. I never understood why CCR's insist on using such awful fonts for displays. They have stolen everything else, why not steal a decent readable font, instead of using a horrible open source one?

hbillsmith

AK9R, interesting observation. I wonder if some of the readability issues had anything to do with youtube resolution. I have the actual radio and find the color screen and it's fonts to be very clear. Even the tiny display icons like channel '001' or 'H' for high power etc. I am 73 and wear glasses. In any case, your opinion and reply are welcome. Thanks.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This seems to be a common problem with display designers. They don't understand the concept of maintaining space between digits. From a distance or at a bad angle or in low light, the digits run together.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
This radio take a standard-issue Baofeng/prolific cable?

hbillsmith

Chirp Beta Driver for Radtel RT-490 posted yesterday at danplanet Click here for link to download Chirp RT-490 Driver

The Chirp development team posted the RT-490 driver yesterday 2022/May/6. Currently it is available as a developer 'Load Function' and should be incorporated in the production Chirp release soon. The Chirp driver and Instructions on how to do 'Load Function' in Chirp are at the link above.

As many have observed the RT-490 is an identical clone to the MMLradio JC-8629 and others. The Chirp test team tested the Chirp driver on the following radios (all worked identical, no special tweaks were required for any of these models). All have been added in as supported models (Example: When in Chirp doing a radio read, the drop now includes Radtel, then for Model RT-490).

The Chirp RT-490 included testing where Chirp radio writes were read back into both the vendor's Multiband software and the Super Walkie Talkie Bluetooth APK for confirmation that settings remained the same and that no bad bits caused any problems. Likewise, Excel imports and exports also worked perfect.

Testing included taking a radio that is NOT a clone to these (used a Baofeng UV-5R) to load and importing its memory collections into the Radtel and others (Perfect). Saving and swapping Channel collections works great. Used the standard 2-pin K-style programming cable plugged into the RT490 and did a write, moved the cable to the MML JC8629 and did the same write (actually moved that cable back and forth across multiple radios many times).

During the driver build the team validated additional settings that were not available in the other software. So after testing, those were added (a simple example is in addition to selecting FM Radio On or Off, a field was added so a radio station can be specified in settings).

Lastly, another good thing that came out of this process is that the team was able to identify the settings necessary to have up to 10 of these radios programmed as a group capable of doing real-time GPS updates within the group (this may be analog APRS).
  • Radtel RT-490
  • MMLradio JC-8629
  • JJCC JC-8629
  • Socotran FB/JC-8629
  • Boristone 8RS
  • HamGeek HG590
  • Jianpai 8800 Plus (new model has USB-C charging)
  • Abbree AR-869 (new model has USB-C charging)

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Compulsion finally got the better of me and I ordered one. 🙄 A real channel knob and scan button sold it.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Got it. It's nice for a CCR. Couple of caveats though. It's a little 'off.' Not as sensitive as my other radios and when I plugged in the Baofeng cable that threw it into transmit and I missed it and don't know whether I wiped out the final or not. Antenna connector isn't straight so neither is the antenna. It is very recessed and if you use a Nagoya you'll have to modify the base of the antenna.
I still really like it, but I'm returning it for a replacement just to see. Oh, and Chirp worked fine otherwise.
Keep you posted.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Got it. It's nice for a CCR. Couple of caveats though. It's a little 'off.' Not as sensitive as my other radios and when I plugged in the Baofeng cable that threw it into transmit and I missed it and don't know whether I wiped out the final or not. Antenna connector isn't straight so neither is the antenna. It is very recessed and if you use a Nagoya you'll have to modify the base of the antenna.
I still really like it, but I'm returning it for a replacement just to see. Oh, and Chirp worked fine otherwise.
Keep you posted.
Updates?

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Nope, I made a mistake, the radio was fine. In fact, I like them so much I kept the replacement and the one I was gonna return, cancelled the return. I use a different programming cable - Amazon.com: Baofeng Programming Cable for BAOFENG UV-5R/5RA/5R Plus/5RE, UV3R Plus, BF-888S, 5R EX, 5RX3, GA-2S, UV-82 (39 inch Mirkit Red, Version 2022, This one Works!) : Electronics - and that took care of any getting locked into transmit problems.
I do not use Chirp now for this radio. The factory software permits custom characters-*+/, etc in alphanumeric channel naming, plus more in quantity-and Chirp does not, nor will they address it, and they never released the release version of the driver incorporated into the software-instead you have to load the driver separately in developer mode, at least this is where it was at last month but gave up checking then since I'm fine with factory software.
Rx audio is hi-fi for a CCR-pleasant to listen to and not shrill. Love the color display. Build quality good. Motorola XPR7550 knobs fit fine, I changed out the originals to get the grippability of the Motorola knobs. And aircraft band works really good. I'm close enough that I can hear both sides of an ATC conversation, ground station is 10-15 miles away from me.
The antenna connector really isn't straight-I cut a piece of scrap and laid it in the "low" side of the socket and screwed in the antenna snug until the scrap (plastic sliver, whatever you wanna use) compressed and now the antenna sits nice and straight. I'm anal about little stuff like that.

golftango

anyone have a link to a manual for any of the brands of this model? i just got one in and the IOS app is useless. no, i'm wrong, what worse than useless? antagonistic? adversarial? i have a chromebook and an android tablet but google play store doesn't register any hits for the chinese characters which are all that is supplied to find the app.

having a usb-c charging port is a revelation and now i have two dozen radios i consider worthless because i have to keep up with a battery holder and a power cord for every single one of them.

i will say that the radio doesn't feel cheap and the display is bright and crisp. the buttons respond well. based on zero real use or tests i think $60 was well spent on it--i've paid much more for total trash name brands.

chirp doesn't work on my mac because apple in their infinite wisdom deprecated python and chirp won't work without python 2.7. but i had to install python 3.1 for a device and now chirp won't load. i do have chirp on a parallels image of win11 so i can fall back on that if i can't get a bt app to work.

[later note] found the radtel rt-490 manual here: file:///Users/sysop/Desktop/Radtel%20RT490%20User%20Manual%20English%20Expanded_Bluetooth_vKevin.pdf

and this chirp developer ?blog? is about the most useful information i've found. pretty well everything you'd ever need in this long post:

/guy (73 de kg5gt | wqpz784)

Last edited:

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
anyone have a link to a manual for any of the brands of this model? i just got one in and the IOS app is useless. no, i'm wrong, what worse than useless? antagonistic? adversarial? i have a chromebook and an android tablet but google play store doesn't register any hits for the chinese characters which are all that is supplied to find the app.

having a usb-c charging port is a revelation and now i have two dozen radios i consider worthless because i have to keep up with a battery holder and a power cord for every single one of them.

i will say that the radio doesn't feel cheap and the display is bright and crisp. the buttons respond well. based on zero real use or tests i think $60 was well spent on it--i've paid much more for total trash name brands.

chirp doesn't work on my mac because apple in their infinite wisdom deprecated python and chirp won't work without python 2.7. but i had to install python 3.1 for a device and now chirp won't load. i do have chirp on a parallels image of win11 so i can fall back on that if i can't get a bt app to work.

[later note] found the radtel rt-490 manual here: file:///Users/sysop/Desktop/Radtel%20RT490%20User%20Manual%20English%20Expanded_Bluetooth_vKevin.pdf

and this chirp developer ?blog? is about the most useful information i've found. pretty well everything you'd ever need in this long post:

/guy (73 de kg5gt | wqpz784)

Not to cop an attitude, but use a PC with Windows, get the cable listed in my previous post and go to town. And forget the Android app-it's junk. You wouldn't get very far until it crashes horribly. Tried it on several Androids.
Here's a link to the latest software: https://rugbyradiosuk.com/collectio...mming-software-for-jc8629-v1-5-2-2022-english

I messaged you also.

Last edited:

golftango

rts to save day as usual. i've probably spent enough there to buy those guys a couple of beach houses! there's a funny caveat though--rts won't let you enter airband freqs although if you save one on the radio it will read it in.

i've used a mac since 1987 and those who use windows deserve what they get, imo. i remember long ago i showed up to a cisco router class with a powerbook and the instructor flat told me i wouldn't be able to complete the class unless i had a windows laptop. on the last day of class his laptop crashed and they had to use my powerbook as a tftp server.

having said that, via the genius of 'emulation' i've always run multiple operating systems. in fact, i was at a ham radio flea market and saw a guy running dos 3.1in a window on a powerbook and i immediately traded him 3 handie-talkies for it and never looked back! i have about two dozen radios i configure on the mac and from about two years ago rts is now porting their programmers to the mac--so even less incentive to run windows. :)

/guy

Last edited:

Les1986

There is around 7 of those radios available under different make and model number

But all of them are the exact same radio

Just deferent names printed on to the radio

sinisternm

this is by far the best info ive found about these clones, but as time passes so the firmware and models seem to grow. ive got an abbree ar-f8 that has the radtel rt-490 display but no Bluetooth. the NOAA feature is in the menu but it wont show up in the key programming options, and the gps transmit function seems useless until i get another radio. the user manual is also completely off, i have a programming menu completely separate from the settings. the but my main problem is i can't get any software ive found to work with it, ive tried chirp, multiband, wlt-100, and 2 or 3 other software i was pointed to from other forums. i use an old baofeng uv-5r cable and have resigned myself to manually programming it. firmware ver: v02.01.007.

w2xq

Mentor
Found this thread on the Jianpai 8800 and RadTel RT-490. Here is another thread on the 8800:

I am quite pleased with my 8800. The most important feature for me: Bluetooth programming. The Android app doesn't have the spit and polish found in most things in the Play Store, but it is entirely useable for programming the radio. I don't have to find a Windows computer, a programming cable and a driver. (I totally dislike Windows...)