New Chicago OEMC Public Safety - 800 MHz P25

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Blanton already posted a thread about this article, but I thought I'd share it here since it does talk a lot about Chicago. Joe Casey of the OEMC was quoted, among other things, as saying "[the OEMC is] on schedule with a plan to secure public safety radio channels...We believe that the benefits of securing the system outweigh the disadvantages.”

So...are we allowed to discuss this here?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes...? I was just pointing out that someone from the OEMC was quoted in the article talking about this system that thought it was worth bringing it up...

Usually encryption and streaming in the same post is frowned upon is why I asked.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It's OK to talk about ENC / "securing" as long as it's productive, AFAIK. If it were me, I'd be emphasizing to Chicago elected reps that the Washington Post was able to disprove claims being made by federal officials in the recent DC protests by reviewing the non-enc radio transmissions by a partner law enforcement agency (the feds are 100% enc.) Transparency trumps secrecy in my view as a citizen.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
O'Hare Communications Center (OCC-CFD) is now patching between the 800 analog system and the P25 system on CFD TGID 2506 (P25-Phase 2) as of this morning. Airport Training Officers (2-9-xx series) are the only mobile units heard so far, but that will change soon.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
O'Hare Communications Center (OCC-CFD) is now patching between the 800 analog system and the P25 system on CFD TGID 2506 (P25-Phase 2) as of this morning. Airport Training Officers (2-9-xx series) are the only mobile units heard so far, but that will change soon.

Patch is still active today. Was able to log some RID's this morning during testing. 134xxxx, 190xxxx series have been CFD companies. No specific pattern similar to Midway when it went on line (6-5-3 RID:1342718 as an example). Testing was ARFF Rescue-1 companies.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
I just started listening to this system, is there a centralized list of RID mappings anywhere that can be added yet? I was going to start working on recording them and figuring them out but I was not sure if there was a collaborative list already

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks @werinshades I had read through that before and saw the ranges but missed the individual ones!

Your welcome. I try and add them when I can confirm them so your list will be very accurate. I'm reluctant to edit the list at this time, trying to confirm these were the assigned apparatus radios they were using today. They don't fit the city "pattern" of radio ID's most of the time, but Midway uses their own pattern too.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
As of the 0845 Hrs. daily radio check, all CFD operations have migrated to the new system. Telling companies "switch to the new radio" and "you're still on the old J, switch to the new radio" would confirm this is permanent.

I was able to log and confirm many of the radio ID's with the exception of a few, which won't be a problem with the 0845 Hrs. radio check. This talk group is in Phase 2.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tip on the wiki and keeping it up to date. @werinshades I just had a request, would it be possible to log data in a more structured format for copy and paste into scanner management tools? I was inputting them in last night and due to the spacing the import tool in ProScan needed many adjustments.

Maybe in this format?

UID:Description-[ENC]

1234:CTP TAC-[ENC] if it was encrypted putting Encrypted at end so other part is not cut off or
1234:Transport Portable Radio if it is not

ProScan capture from clipboard example allowing me to copy the Wiki list and import it easily. I believe ARC and the others have similar clipboard capture as well so structure data makes it easier.

Example:
1234:CTP TAC-[ENC]
1235:Transport Portable Radio

I was going to copy them locally and format them to re-import but I wanted to see if you would like to update it centrally on the page so everyone can do it?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tip on the wiki and keeping it up to date. @werinshades I just had a request, would it be possible to log data in a more structured format for copy and paste into scanner management tools? I was inputting them in last night and due to the spacing the import tool in ProScan needed many adjustments.

Maybe in this format?

UID:Description-[ENC]

1234:CTP TAC-[ENC] if it was encrypted putting Encrypted at end so other part is not cut off or
1234:Transport Portable Radio if it is not

ProScan capture from clipboard example allowing me to copy the Wiki list and import it easily. I believe ARC and the others have similar clipboard capture as well so structure data makes it easier.

Example:
1234:CTP TAC-[ENC]
1235:Transport Portable Radio

View attachment 87533

I was going to copy them locally and format them to re-import but I wanted to see if you would like to update it centrally on the page so everyone can do it?

I don't have control on how they are formatted. I just enter everything in.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok, then if you don't mind I'll just update the formatting there so anyone can copy and paste them in easier :)

You might want to check with one of the database administrators before you make any WiKi format changes.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
You might want to check with one of the database administrators before you make any WiKi format changes.
Oh, oops. Sorry I guess I should have checked that since I thought it was open to all members. Thanks for the reminder, I'll go and look at the instructions.

TangoBlue

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for calling it out. I did post in the wiki forum about it and it sounds like it is good.