New Class of Troopers Hits The Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 70 to 80 new CSP Troopers/Graduates are hitting the road in their newly-assigned cruisers tonight.

Signing on one-by-one to enable their radios...

Just think of all that radio equipment and gear!

Now add in the cost of the Pensions for all the retirees they're replacing!

Welcome to Connecticut!

Drive Safely!

(y)

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
One thing that always confused me about CT is the lack of police. Growing up in Dudley, next to Thompson, CT I soon learned that most of the quiet corner of Northeastern CT has maybe 2-5 troopers on patrol acting a Primary Police force for multiple towns and patrolling the highways.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Dont know about CT but NY recycles the Shield numbers...a friend of mine and his class received about 6 3 digit numbered ones.....i've heard numbers as high as 5xxx

P25andstuff

Dont know about CT but NY recycles the Shield numbers...a friend of mine and his class received about 6 3 digit numbered ones.....i've heard numbers as high as 5xxx
Yeah there are some interesting badge numbers, CT doesn't go to high, but i'm not exactly sure on their process for choosing badges.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Yeah there are some interesting badge numbers, CT doesn't go to high, but i'm not exactly sure on their process for choosing badges.

They are assigned their badge number as to what is available in the "trooper pool" for lack of a better term. I can't remember the exact number but the highest available badge number for a trooper I believe is in the 1350 to 1399 range. I also believe in an event of a LODD, that trooper's badge number is retired, again I cannot remember correctly.

If I remember the badge cutoff / split correctly, it should be along the lines like this;
1 - 100 - Colonel, Lt. Colonels, Majors, Captains, Lieutenants
101 - 300 - Master Sergeants and Sergeants
301 and up - TFCs and Troopers

I'm sure one of my friends who I used to work with when I dispatched for CSP will see this and fill in the correct info. :)

I'm sure one of my friends who I used to work with when I dispatched for CSP will see this and fill in the correct info
Yeah, your memory is consistent with what I've observed over the years.

I log their badge numbers along with their radio UID's.

Lately it's a full time job! :ROFLMAO: I've got 3 scanners following them.

They have a whole new batch of portables in the 4XXX range.

P25andstuff

Yeah, your memory is consistent with what I've observed over the years.

I log their badge numbers along with their radio UID's.

Lately it's a full time job! :ROFLMAO: I've got 3 scanners following them.

They have a whole new batch of portables in the 4XXX range.
Speaking of portable radios, I was watching the new academy video, and Many radios looked like APX8000s, or just a 6000 with the 8000 speaker grill. But Im thinking Motorola gave them a new deal for 8000s. And I never used to get CLMRN at my house and I just started hearing regular traffic from B simulcast. I think they've been doing some repeater work around here due to how rural it is.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Did they make a video of the entire graduation or just that slick recruiting thing?

chris

Did they make a video
Apparently, you need to be a creative web developer to be a good candidate.

83 graduates!

P25andstuff

They have the press release but one year there was a video of the entire ceremony. I suppose it could have been an individual filming it and the CSP posted it.
They just made an academy video, but I believe that the 129th graduation is on youtube somewhere as it did go live on youtube.

csp662

Premium Subscriber
Hey Joe, you’re right. I did see this and I will correct some of the info. Troopers get assigned the badge numbers by what is available. Also, they can request a particular badge number if available, based on if it was previously assigned to a family member or other circumstance. The academy staff will make an effort to make that happen. The available badge numbers used to be assigned by the academy staff based on class ranking, which was a combination of class grades and peer reviews. The lowest available badge numbers would be given to the highest ranked recruits.
Road troopers were assigned from 300 and up. We had a couple troopers in the 1445-1449 range.
Sergeants are assigned 100-299.
Master Sergeants are 70-99
Lieutenants are 40-69
Captains are 20-39
And the command staff are 1-19

Some troopers have also been known to swap their badge for another when it came available, say..when someone retired and they wanted that badge number because their father had it at some point. (I also thought this was bad mojo)

The radio system has certainly come a long way. I didn’t even have a portable radio issued to me when I graduated in 1998. We had to share.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Hey Joe, you’re right. I did see this and I will correct some of the info. Troopers get assigned the badge numbers by what is available. Also, they can request a particular badge number if available, based on if it was previously assigned to a family member or other circumstance.........
Thanks Matt! Hope all is well, and I'm back on the air again on the Woodbridge repeaters mostly and some DMR. Hope to catch up with you soon!

APX7500X2

Speaking of portable radios, I was watching the new academy video, and Many radios looked like APX8000s, or just a 6000 with the 8000 speaker grill. But Im thinking Motorola gave them a new deal for 8000s. And I never used to get CLMRN at my house and I just started hearing regular traffic from B simulcast. I think they've been doing some repeater work around here due to how rural it is.
They are APX6000s The APX6000 BN came out 5 years ago to replace the APX6000 AN and the BN has the same grille as the APX8000

Status
Not open for further replies.