New Computer and new Micro SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
On Sunday, my desktop computer ate the farm. Won't even boot up. So, I purchased a latop. Works pretty good, but anyway, the Sentinel software was installed on my now deceased computer. If I hook up my BCD536 to the laptop, will it automatically install the software and if so, can I transfer my favorites into the new computer if I select "write to sentinel" or whatever the proper option is?
Also, my new 32GB micro SD card has arrived. What will I need to do it to get it to work in the scanner? This is to replace the 4GB card that came with the scanner. Thanks!

durangoGreg

The BCD536Hp will not automatically install the Sentinel software on your new laptop.

The best way is to download the latest version of Sentinel and the latest USB drivers from Uniden's website. Install the software and drivers.

Once installed you can connect the 536 by placing it in USB mode (connect to USB laptop port, and press yes on the scanner keyboard when prompted to enter USB Mode).

Start Sentinel on the laptop and immediately, read from scanner. Save this profile to your laptop hard drive. This is your backup of any alterations, favorites, or customizations you made to the scanner. Next you can update your database and firmware and write the new information to the Scanner.

As for using your new card, it is probably best if you read the manual because you will have to go through a lot of steps. You will need to format the MicroSD card and write the initial set of files to the new MicroSD card so that it is usable by the radio. Then you will swap the MicroSD card in the radio and Update the new card with the profile from your old card.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Also, my new 32GB micro SD card has arrived. What will I need to do it to get it to work in the scanner? This is to replace the 4GB card that came with the scanner. Thanks!

If your replacement computer has a slot to accept a SD card, it is a little easier. (You may need the adapter card so the micro SD card will fit into a "regular" SD card slot.)

You should download the freeware program SDFormatter:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/

Then format your new 32 GB card with this utility. Afterwards, using Windows Explorer, copy and paste all of the files on your original 4 GB card on to the new 32 GB card.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone! Wow, that was almost too easy. I'm not used to things to working so quickly. I could get used to that. Its working like a charm. I can't wait to just start recording and have a record of everything it scans. I read somewhere that 32gb will record for about a week until its full. We'll see.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
My problem is a little different.

The SD card became "corrupt" and "unreadable." I D/L the Formatting tool The card is now readable.

The question is, where can I find the files needed for the SD card to make it usable in the scanner? I have the Sentinel on my computer already.

Thanks!

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Update, with solution:

After formatting the SD Disk, I hooked the radio up to the Sentinel. I did the "Clear User Data" on the formated SD. After that, I just uploaded the saved Favorites, clicking on the "Force Overwrite" check-box (don't know if that was necessary, but there were no 'ill effects" from it).

I had to do this to two radios, a 436 and a 536, and both are working properly.

Thanks.

Voyager

The force overwrite should not have been necessary, but as you said it can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.