New Computer and Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobFam

I am buying a new WIn10 computer. I have a BCD436HP programmed with Sentinel on WIN7.

What exact files do I have to backup and install on the new computer with my Profile and all my Favorites?

Thanks, Bob.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
First you need to make a copy of the Uniden folder that's stored in your Documents Folder on your present computer. I use a thumb drive. After you download Sentinel on new computer, insert the drive and drag and drop it in your Windows 10 Document Folder. {This is the default folder that Sentinel is stored}. It will ask you if you want to replace the current files in the folder, click yes. Your new Computer will have the same setup as in your old computer. I do this all the time between my desktop, laptop and tablet to keep them all identical. If this isn't clear enough, maybe someone else might chime in. I have no problems with Windows 10 and Sentinel.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Do it the easy way install sentinel on the new computer update the database on the computer then read the scanner and save the file.
That would work if all Favorites lists currently in Sentinel on the Windows 7 have been downloaded to the scanner. But if only some of them are, then the manual file transfer captain suggested would be the best way to proceed.

For that matter, if the OP has a card reader, then use the Windows 7 pc to write all favorites lists to a spare SD card (after using the 'clear user data' to set up the card). Once all lists have been downloaded to the card (in a card reader) then eject the card reader correctly from the Win 7 pc, and plug the reader into the Windows 10 machine (after Sentinel has been installed). Then use 'read from scanner' in Sentinel to get all the lists moved over.

I have several dozen Favorites lists set up. Some for normal use in my area, some for areas I go to often enough to create a specific list, and other lists set up for a single "new" system that I'm trying to document. Gneally, I have a half dozen or fewer lists (at one time) on any of the scanners.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My vote is for copying the contents of the Documents folder. Especially if there are additional Profiles that have been created.

You probably got a boatload of other things in the Documents folder in addition to the Sentinel stuff that you probably want in your new computer as well.

freqs

Question don't know much about computers .Bought a new computer it won't download sentinal software says I need a .flex net something ? .old computer says Sentinal stopped working tried to reload in that one get same thing ..is there an issue with Sentinal .again not much of a computer person .

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Question don't know much about computers .Bought a new computer it won't download sentinal software says I need a .flex net something ? .old computer says Sentinal stopped working tried to reload in that one get same thing ..is there an issue with Sentinal .again not much of a computer person .

Assuming that the message you are seeing concerns the needed .NET Framework version not being in your computer, (a VERY specific, word for word description of your error messages is always important when asking for help)...

In Windows 10, go to:

Control Panel --> Programs and features --> Turn Windows features on or off (in the upper left corner)

once that window populates, click in the box that says ".NET Framework 3.5 (Includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)”. You don't need to select the 2 sub-headings under that main one.

Click OK, and it will be installed. Then you can use Sentinel.

freqs

Forgive me for not wording things correct I have real basic understanding of computers .Its new Computer it has it says it has the net framework ive got someone to help me that is pretty good with computers .
we will try this thank you

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Forgive me for not wording things correct I have real basic understanding of computers .Its new Computer it has it says it has the net framework ive got someone to help me that is pretty good with computers .
we will try this thank you

Sentinel needs a specific version of .NET framework (2.0). Your computer may have a version of .NET framework already in it, but unless it has the specific version Sentinel needs, it won't run. Newer versions of .NET framework are not cumulative updates. The procedure I posted above will install the correct version that Sentinel needs.

freqs

Ok sounds good .Daughters boyfriend is good with Computers I'll show him this info and hopefully he can resolve it for me ..I am thankful for your help .just want to Reprogram and update my 436 .

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Way back when, I had the same problem. It's an easy fix, especially if you know a little bit about computers. If you feel uncomfortable, get the daughter's boyfriend to do it. It'll take about 2 minutes or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.