New Computer -Old Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Purchased a new computer and re-downloaded Win96, i was using the old "grey cable with a serial connector now i have only USB ports...Can i use the cable that came with my GRE500 for the RS2096 with Win96...Thank You....Do i need any "drivers??, or will i just be able to "plug and go".....

DonS

Purchased a new computer and re-downloaded Win96, i was using the old "grey cable with a serial connector now i have only USB ports...Can i use the cable that came with my GRE500 for the RS2096 with Win96...Thank You....Do i need any "drivers??, or will i just be able to "plug and go".....

You can use the "blue" USB cable that came with your GRE PSR-500 with the RadioShack PRO-2096. If the cable is already working with the PSR-500 (i.e. you've already installed the drivers), then it should work just fine with Win96.

However, you'll have to verify that Win96's COM port setting matches the COM port that Windows assigned to the cable. Look in Device Manager, under "Ports (COM & LPT)", to see what COM port number Windows has assigned, then set Win96 to use the same value via Win96's "Configuration -> Serial Port" menu item.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Purchased a new computer and re-downloaded Win96, i was using the old "grey cable with a serial connector now i have only USB ports....
I have been able to use a generic USB to COM port converter cable with the COM version scanner cable. Those come with their own drivers. Then I looked to see what COM port it was assigned and put that in to the WIN9x software. If you look you'll find these converters for less than $10, which is a lot cheaper than buying the $35 cable RS is now selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.