Icom: New D-STAR handheld: Icom ID-52A/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DJC

It has to do with memory structure. I could never scan the way I wanted to with the 74D, with Icom I could use bank linking on the fly based on my activity or location at the time.

That is a good feature, I used it quite often on the R-30.

I never used the programming software when I had a 51, I don't typically keep a lot of frequencies in memory. I hate using Parallels and Windows on a Mac, it works but it's a clunky workaround. I just upgrade the firmware and D Star by moving the data files to the MicroSD.

dmaria

That is a good feature, I used it quite often on the R-30.

I never used the programming software when I had a 51, I don't typically keep a lot of frequencies in memory. I hate using Parallels and Windows on a Mac, it works but it's a clunky workaround. I just upgrade the firmware and D Star by moving the data files to the MicroSD.

RT Systems does have the software for all three versions of the ID-51A for the Mac. So far, they only list the ID-52A for Windows.

N4DJC

Icom FB page says the ID-52 has shipped. Maybe orders will be filled next week.

I was on both the DX and HRO list but paid for my order at HRO a week earlier, the email from DX stated there would be a small initial batch with others trickling in. They are already shipping to customers in the UK. Fingers crossed :)

palmerjrusa

Pre-ordered and paid for my ID-52A from HRO.

I emailed HRO yesterday regarding my order, they emailed back saying they'd not yet received their shipment of ID-52As from Icom but are expecting them any day now.

N4DJC

I’m seeing some 52’s show up on D Star R30C, UK and EU hams. Audio sounds pretty good but I didn’t get a chance to ask which mic gain setting they used (1-5) it should be pretty low for the best audio. I have my 705 set at 20%.

Hit_Factor

Reading the Advanced Manual, it seems that the sub band mute will behave differently than in the ID-51+2.

I'm hope this means DV and FMN can be received simultaneously on both receivers. The clicking while scanning both bands always bothered me on the ID-51.

N4DJC

DV on Main band and FMN on Sub band? I’m not sure if I’m understanding….

Hit_Factor

The ID-51 can't do both simultaneously. If you are receiving DV (or FMN) on primary band, and a FMN (or DV) is on the sub band it will be muted. If the sub band is scanning, you'll hear a click when the sub band channel is muted.

There is a table in the ID-51 advanced manual that describes this in more detail. Search for sub band mute in the PDF.

The ID-52 advanced manual doesn't have this table.

Status
Not open for further replies.