New Digital APCO25 MSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
I now own a pro-96 and am wondering on programming my area in the scanner. In this list: I put a P for the Primary Control Channel and S for the alternate Control Channel. Do I only need the Primary freq to receive everything from that area or more than just the Primary in this bank. I am a little new to this APCO 25 so I hope I explained it correctly.

115 Nashville* (866.38750) (866.88750) (867.38750*S) (867.88750*P) (868.70000)

InlandAZ

Just code the CC's for the system (Primary and Alternate) - the scanner will do the rest. It is not necesary to code all frequencies on the Pro 96.

Skud

Feed Provider
I bet that is my problem as I am only putting in the Pirmary.
both channels still are set a MOT correct?

InlandAZ said:
Just code the CC's for the system (Primary and Alternate) - the scanner will do the rest. It is not necesary to code all frequencies on the Pro 96.

Last edited:

Skud

Feed Provider
I forgot, you know of the problem wih having two MOT channel next to each other? I know you have to seperate two MOT channels with like a FM so channel 000 would be my Primary, can my secondary be channel 001 or do I have to put in an dummy Fm channel then make channel 002 my secondary channel
InlandAZ said:
Yep - Both the chanels and bank should be set to MOT.

Skud

Feed Provider
Yes that is it. I have this problem, I put in 3 primary in chn 000 001 and 002 and when I hit scan it would only stay on channel 000 and if I enter in a dummy channel then it works.

InlandAZ said:
Nope - If it's the same system just code all the primary and secondary CC's for it - no separation required.

I believe you're refering to this:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13495

Actually, I don't even use this when entering multiple "sites" into the same bank - never had an issue with it.

InlandAZ

Appartently some have an issue, others do not. I apparently do not.

What system are you monitoring, and how many sites does it have. I don't see it in the RR data base...

Shackman

Looks like he is monitoring the Michigan State Police system from Barry county. Site 115 is the nashville Mi. tower. If so depending on where you are located, you may want to put in some of surrounding towers such as Plainwell, Battle Creek, and Kalamazoo. I often hear Barry from here in Kalamazoo. Good listening

Skud

Feed Provider
No with the pro-96, if I put in three Primary CC it will only stay on the first channel. when I hit scan then hit manual it stops on channel 000 everytime. If I seperate then with a dummy freq it will randomly stop on different channels.

InlandAZ said:
Appartently some have an issue, others do not. I apparently do not.

What system are you monitoring, and how many sites does it have. I don't see it in the RR data base...

Skud

Feed Provider
Yeah I noticed that too. I get Barry Sheriff(3187) on different Primary CC
Still learning this new APCO 25 stuff.
The reason for this thread is because I hae sperated the primary CCs I can get to document which talk id's i get from which Primary CC
right now I get 10 Primary CC's good and 3 more so so that I need to be in teh certain of the house to get reception.
Just making sure I know what I am doing with entering Primary secondary CCs and the ones in the list that show nothing.
Shackman do you have a pro-96?
Shackman said:
Looks like he is monitoring the Michigan State Police system from Barry county. Site 115 is the nashville Mi. tower. If so depending on where you are located, you may want to put in some of surrounding towers such as Plainwell, Battle Creek, and Kalamazoo. I often hear Barry from here in Kalamazoo. Good listening

mikey60

Skud said:
The reason for this thread is because I hae sperated the primary CCs I can get to document which talk id's i get from which Primary CC
right now I get 10 Primary CC's good and 3 more so so that I need to be in teh certain of the house to get reception.
Just making sure I know what I am doing with entering Primary secondary CCs and the ones in the list that show nothing.

99% of the time if you have the primary control channels entered you'll be good to go. On occasion there will be a reason for a tower site to have to use the alternate control channel. In those cases if you don't have the alternates programmed in, you won't hear anything.

As far as which talkgroups are on which tower sites, with a few exceptions, talkgroups are not limited to only one tower site. The majority of the primary talkgroups are enabled statewide for any tower site. A talkgroup will only be heard from a particular tower site if there is a system radio affiliated to that talkgroup on that tower. That's why you don't normally hear MSP Detroit area posts in your area on a regular basis.

For the best chance to hear any particular talkgroup, you'll need to program in all of the tower sites that are near the agency that you want to hear. The nearest tower site will almost always carry that agency's talkgroup, but that's not a guarentee.

Mike

InlandAZ

That's a rather large system (by anything local in these parts) - but, none the less, as I understand it (and I'm not a radio guy - just a scanner enthusiast) it should work just as Mike stated above.

We have a multi site system (PRWN) and basically what I've done is dedicated a bank to each site (city) I want to monitor (CC's for the nearest tower go first, and the talkgroups are limited to the agencies I want to monitor - in closed mode). Seems to work well enough in my case. However, PRWN is no where near the size of your own.

Last edited:

Shackman

Skud said:
Yes I do. Just curious, do you have the control channels in separate banks right now or are they in the same bank?

Skud

Feed Provider
Right now in two seperate banks because I have to put in a dummy Fm channel in between each of thePrimary Towers and I acutlly have all the Twoers from Michigan in two banks,
I did some testing putting in 1 Primary CC in each bank and it didn't seem to get as much traffic as when I have multile Primary CC seperated by a FM channel
Shackman said:
Yes I do. Just curious, do you have the control channels in separate banks right now or are they in the same bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.