New "Director of Scanner Development"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooligan

I know there are plenty of self-appointed Uniden SDS spokesmen here, a few of them might actually know what they're talking about, BUT does anyone know WTF Uniden has done/is doing to replace Paul Opitz and provide firmware updates to the SDS line? With Whistler having bowed-out, public safety comms encryption looming & Opitz croaking, I can see how it may be tempting for Uniden to not put much/any effort into scanner RDT&E & updating firmware for a while, and that seems to be the current case, 9 months after Paul's death.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm actually considering buying some 200s & a 100s, but am not going to do-so until I can confirm that Uniden is going to support the
series with firmware updates, etc. coded by a competent person. Until then, they're still the Unidon't "SOS" series to me.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
BUT does anyone know WTF Uniden has done/is doing to replace Paul Opitz and provide firmware updates to the SDS

Yes, Uniden knows. They are the only ones that know.... and they haven’t made any announcements.

And as always, any other answers are nothing but speculation and rumors.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If you don’t like what you see, then don’t buy it. It is simple.

prcguy

Are the 100s and 200s not working properly and need a firmware update?

I know there are plenty of self-appointed Uniden SDS spokesmen here, a few of them might actually know what they're talking about, BUT does anyone know WTF Uniden has done/is doing to replace Paul Opitz and provide firmware updates to the SDS line? With Whistler having bowed-out, public safety comms encryption looming & Opitz croaking, I can see how it may be tempting for Uniden to not put much/any effort into scanner RDT&E & updating firmware for a while, and that seems to be the current case, 9 months after Paul's death.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm actually considering buying some 200s & a 100s, but am not going to do-so until I can confirm that Uniden is going to support the
series with firmware updates, etc. coded by a competent person. Until then, they're still the Unidon't "SOS" series to me.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
What are the "issues" which require a firmware update to resolve?

Activate or do something with the mysterious microUSB Port! :)

Really, SDS100 has been working really well for my needs. Maybe one feature (not break-fix) that I would like to see is a way to tone-out standby on P25. I see and can do it on VHF and tracking one channel, but our local fire department switched to P25 and I feel like the VHF simulcast days are numbered.

sfb88

I'm not concerned enough to look myself, but I wonder if any financial types could check to see if Uniden had to file any reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission that might shed light on their plans.

xilix

Premium Subscriber
I'm not concerned enough to look myself, but I wonder if any financial types could check to see if Uniden had to file any reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission that might shed light on their plans.

Uniden is a Japanese-held company, operating under ticker symbol 6815 on the Japan Stock Exchange. I may be wrong, but I don't think the US SEC would have any filings for them. But yes, it would be good to have some type of indication the product line is not "dead". If for some reason they decided to discontinue the product, I would hope they would open the code to let 3rd party developers continue working on it (doubtful, I know.).

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
series with firmware updates, etc. coded by a competent person.

Both Uniden and Whistler are struggling to keep up with the demand for scanners right now. If you choose not to buy one, it will be OK. That will be one more that a more eager purchaser can actually find available.

Status
Not open for further replies.