new discone antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

farfle

just got her shipped up to me but i need the correct adapter . it came with coax cable, with whatever fittings the cable comes with. ive never seen them before, ive got a uniden BTC8 scanner. which i think had the BNC male antenna plug. can anyone give me the name of the adapter i need to hook up the coax to the scanner?
the antenna is a comet model # DS-150S

BC_Scan

the scanner will have the female end on it right ?? you need what is known as a PL-259 connector (aka UHF) to BNC adaptor as that is what the cable should have on each end (generally) so you want to drop down to the bnc male that goes into the scanner, btw if you get lightning in the summer do not put up your antenna without grounding it !

check-out
RP Electronics - Test Instruments , Power Supplies , Inverters , Electronic Project Kits and more!
for adaptor # 193-015-1
double check to make sure the end of the coax is PL-259

farfle

yes thanks it is the PL-259. whats the best way to ground it as we do get quite a bit of lightning here.

BC_Scan

You would have to find the ground rod on the side of the house where the Hydro meter is , if none is available you would have to bury 5/8" by 10" long galvanized iron rod placed vertically in the ground. when you put the antenna up you have to have a length of copper wire at least # 8 guage going from the base of the antenna mastto the rod then attatched to a ground clamp. PITA ? you might want to consult a licensed electrician or the local ham club
Club Name:
Oliver ARC

City: Oliver
Serving Areas: Oliver

RAC Region: British Columbia & Yukon

www3.telus.net/oarc

Club Callsign:

Jim Whiteside VE7WAJ ve7waj@telus.net or 250-495-2530
Box 295 Osoyoos, B.C. V0H 1V0
Club Mailing Address:
c/o P.O. Box 444
Oliver, BC V0H 1T0

Meeting dates, times, locations;
The club meets every Thursday at 0930 local time for coffee at 350 Ave. & 99th St. in Oliver. The regular club meeting is the 2nd Thursday of each month.

Classes Offered:
Yes

Accredited Examiner(s):

Repeaters:
VE7RBD 147.160 (-)
VE7RMK 145.01 Packet

RAC Affiliated Club Number:

RAC Liability Insurance expires:

Club Events:

:

Club Notes:

Last updated: