New DOD 5G system coming to Albany GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The Department of Defense’s (DOD) 5G-to-Next G Initiative (5GI), overseen by the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, successfully demonstrated an advanced 5G network for logistics modernization exclusively designed and built in the United States. The $90 million prototype, Smart Warehouse Technology Early Capabilities Demonstration, delivered high-speed downloads of 1.5 Gbps and sub 15 msec latency using 380 MHz of spectrum in the mid-band and mmWave.

Once completed, the prototype will deploy in Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, Georgia as a private 5G network and use up to 750 MHz of available bandwidth for higher performance.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
My father once served on this base x2 this base has been through up's and down's with the Tornado that ripped through MCLB - Albany and caused serious damage to the buildings. How would i know this? I went to visit the damage there at the base it was very sad to see what happen there and the surroundings. I am glad to see MCLB - Albany will be deploying a radio system.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Just FYI, the article mentions millimeter wave (25 to 40 GHz) and "mid-band", which is between 1 GHz and 6 GHz.

And this will all be broadband data, so there won't be any monitoring via a scanner.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.