New dpl tone for IREACH in illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Its been out for a while. The problem is there are towns in the Chicago area that use it as a chit chat freq

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Its been out for a while. The problem is there are towns in the Chicago area that use it as a chit chat freq

Sorry, a little slow here since some of these guys (leo's) don't even have ireach in their cars,much less their portables.

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Is Woodford County dispatch center still using IREACH to contact their ambulances while enroute to calls or did they stop doing that?

Not sure, since I've never heard them do that.

n9zas

N9JIG

Sheriff
I had suggested to the IREACH Board a year or so ago when they were considering a patch petition I presented that they adopt a tone code for IREACH as part of the narrowbanding. At the time there was discussion of 156.7 but I think there were users in nearby states already using that on 155.055 or one of the adjacent channels that would have been an problem.

The DPL code was chosen since it is more unlikely that others would be using it on the actual or adjacent channels. Also, since IREACH is solely an Illinois operation the use of 156.7 is not needed.

As with the adoption of new tone/codes for mutual aid and shared channels (IFERN, Firegrounds and others) it is standard procedure to set it up as PL/DPL transmit only until a certain date when all transmitters are supposed to be sending the tone then users can start adding it to the receive side of the radios. This way users don't get locked out of messages they may miss due to the transmitter not having the proper tone.

gewecke

Banned
Thanks for clearing that up rich. It does explain a few things.

n9zas

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Repost:

THANKS!

This is the confirmation I've been looking for. D156N makes sense if there is a reason. Discussing the topic with other area techs has shown the same confusion; most thought it was a typo- office staff doesn't always speak geek. Some have been putting in 157.7 CTCSS.

Perhaps a follow-up memo of clarification might be in order. I will spread the word to the folks in NE Missouri that I work with.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
I took a quick look through the SCIP document for mention of a PL/DPL tone for IREACH but only found it listed with carrier squelch. If someone could let me know what the PL/DPL tone is that is being referred to I'd appreciate it.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Kevin: It may not have made it into the SCIP yet, it was proposed to and adopted by the IREACH Board as part of the narrowbanding issue resolution.

cifn2

Feed Provider
Yeah the bad deal is that narrowbanding has already started in some areas. And the calendar shows some agencies should be switching over soon, but there is no clear timeline etc on adding the IREACH tones. What a mess this is going to be trying to narrowband and add a PL when all agencies have not been informed of time lines and the tones. Should they notify agencies or wait until that agencies start complaining about not hearing others?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Yeah the bad deal is that narrowbanding has already started in some areas. And the calendar shows some agencies should be switching over soon, but there is no clear timeline etc on adding the IREACH tones. What a mess this is going to be trying to narrowband and add a PL when all agencies have not been informed of time lines and the tones. Should they notify agencies or wait until that agencies start complaining about not hearing others?

That is exactly why they tell you to program in the tone for Transmit only until such time as everyone has programmed it in, then you can program it in for receive as well. This way everyone can still hear each other during the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.