New DPS callsign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0doz

I just heard a unit number "2020" on the East Metro channel, and someone referred to "2022" taking over a call. Who are they? Thanks in advance.

KB7MIB

2020 came up on 460.5000/CI Central, so I can only assume they're a detective. From which bureau/squad within DPS, I couldn't tell you.

John
Peoria

JohnSpartan

Premium Subscriber
I've heard 20xx series call signs in all the metro districts, D6 and D8. Are they the new night watch call signs? In each instance I've heard them they were conducting routine patrol duties (stops, collision response, etc.)

n0doz

I've heard 20xx series call signs in all the metro districts, D6 and D8. Are they the new night watch call signs? In each instance I've heard them they were conducting routine patrol duties (stops, collision response, etc.)
You know, I think you might be right. I only hear the 20xx's late night/early morning. That makes sense.

n0doz

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I don't think so. I heard an Ida car heading in to the office this morning. That's investigators, isn't it?
The truth will come out!

I have "Ida" units as Intelligence Units. "David" units are Investigations. These units are dispatched on 460.500 (CI 2) in the Phoenix area.

I have not heard a 20xx unit yet, but I'll listen a little more closely to DPS traffic this weekend.

KB7MIB

It has been suggested on the Arizona Scanner Enthusiasts Facebook page that 20 units could be 1) South Mtn freeway patrol, 2) Rovers between Metro East and Metro South, or 3) a new Nightwatch squad in addition to District 19.

If it is a new Nightwatch squad, maybe District 19 and District 20 are splitting the Valley into Nightwatch West (Metro West and Metro Central) and Nightwatch East (Metro East and Metro South)? Just a thought.

It is odd though, that if they're a patrol district, that I would have heard them on the CI channel. I thought it was rare for a patrol trooper to come up on CI? That's why I was thinking it was Tac or GIITEM troopers, rather than regular patrol troopers.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I heard my first 20xx callsigns just a few minutes ago. 2029 is involved in a foot pursuit near 101 & University. 2014 is en route to assist. This is being heard on Metro South which is patched to CI 2 currently. The hot tones are only coming across Metro South channel, so this is likely the "primary" channel of the patch. I'm thinking that you might be on to something with 20xx being East/South night watch.

Keep in mind CI 2 is almost always patched with another district channel at night. This would explain why you hear 20xx units on CI 2 if they are in fact night watch units.

On a side note, I am hearing 19xx units on Metro West tonight.

KB7MIB

I'm hearing that incident on CI Central (AZWINS). I thought they were Zebra units? Zebra 118 King is one of them.

They've gone to RWC G1 Interoperability.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
CI Central on Az Wins (talkgroup 1013) is linked to CI 2 UHF (460.500 100.0 PL). Those are the same channel.

Zebra 118 King is a K9 unit that they asked to assist in the search.

The dispatcher just gave an update and asked all units involved in the pursuit to switch to Metro South which is now patched to G1 on the RWC. Mesa and Tempe PD are involved too.

CI 2 UHF / CI Central on AZWINS is now patched to Metro East.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I left a radio recording overnight on Metro South. East and South were patched over night. I heard these callsigns doing traffic stops, responding to possible drunk drivers, road debris etc. 2011, 2013, 2018, and 2029. No 19xx callsigns. Around 5:00am, 13xx and 18xx started coming online.

I’m pretty confident that 20xx is Night Watch for East/South

n0doz

Hey cellphone, thanks for the correction. Also appreciate the 20-unit input.
As an aside, I spent 35 years in policing and I think we changed callsigns maybe twice in that time. Interesting how DPS responds to changing conditions much more rapidly than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.