New DPS Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone here know what the DPS is actually going to do for their new system? Are they going to be part of an expanded RWC, or do something different? I have seen a few documents that talked about plans, but they are a few years old. They were calling for interop on 800mhz, but that was a few years ago when AZ had money.

AZ_RADIO

The New DPS Radio system will be on 700 Mhz which will be IP Based, similar to Open Sky. I would expect to see some activity on purchasing equipment and provisioning within the next 5 years.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
The New DPS Radio system will be on 700 Mhz which will be IP Based, similar to Open Sky. I would expect to see some activity on purchasing equipment and provisioning within the next 5 years.

So by being similar to Open Sky, I take it that means there will be no way to monitor it correct?

Any idea on why they would go in that direction?

Thanks for the info.

BCFlash

I wonder how they will get statewide coverage at 700mhz? Las Vegas Metro has a new Open Sky type system and they still use their VHF channels for rural areas. Nevada Highway Patrol uses the state's 800mhz system where they can but in some areas still use their VHF channels. It just seem to me that in large, mountain states like Arizona and Nevada using these 700-800 mhz systems requires an extremely large repeater network and associated high costs. I've always been impressed with the coverage that DPS has with their UHF system, too bad they want to leave it.

2wayfreq

Sounds like a Harris P25 Trunking system in the works. Nevada has a statewide EDACS 800 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.