New DSD+ Fastlane v2.242 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArloG

Maybe there are some missing files you may have. What kind of errors are you getting?
Oh, Im a total noob here. Guessing I have all of the files.
I use Notepad++ as a text editor for xml file edits on projects here. It somehow associated and appended .txt to the 'missing files'.
Leaving the working directory with DSDPlus-dot files That's all fixed now.

Trying too hard maybe. Expecting too much 'out of the box'.
And with a week old IC-R8600 trying to relate the decoders and functions built into it with fastlane.

This morning in the 461-462 freq. range there was a lot of traffic. I let DSD+ sit on a NXDN96 channel for some time.
Any voice that came through at all was very short 'bvrrrrt's'. More than the 8600 does on the same freq.
I was smart enough to find the .wav file and play it. Same thing.
Then I see this when switching freqs. : "No data for current site found in DSDPlus.frequencies file".
Read and read. Took others samples and plugged it into the file. Same message.
Two NXDN96 frequencies here are 461.7000 & 461.9000. Created two new lines in the file and saved it. Same message.
Sometime I see voice data in the AP window (main scrolling traffic window)...but no voice.

Since the R8600 says it can do P25 (no voice heard on it so far) I gave fastlane a twirl. No voice either.

The Icom extio. I'm suspecting it's a no-go for fl?
And my RSP2 is still sitting in a window with an L-Band antenna hooked to it I recently built and took an dive in Inmarsat decoding.
Then my new Icom came through the door. New toys-ville so to speak.

Any tips are appreciated. Fastlane is seeming like a secret Masonic society where a secret hand shake is needed. Hah!
dsdplus_screen_dir.jpg

slicerwizard

I use Notepad++ as a text editor for xml file edits on projects here. It somehow associated and appended .txt to the 'missing files'.

Because you saved them as txt files?

This morning in the 461-462 freq. range there was a lot of traffic. I let DSD+ sit on a NXDN96 channel for some time.
Any voice that came through at all was very short 'bvrrrrt's'. More than the 8600 does on the same freq.
Then either the signal is too weak or your tap/interface is no bueno.

Then I see this when switching freqs. : "No data for current site found in DSDPlus.frequencies file".
Since you're not trunk tracking, it doesn't matter.

Any tips are appreciated. Fastlane is seeming like a secret Masonic society where a secret hand shake is needed. Hah!
My tip would be to use an SDR dongle with a decent antenna along with FMPA/FMPP/FMP24. Eliminates all of the discriminator tap nonsense.

ArloG

Because you saved them as txt files?
could be. 'hide extension for known file types' and 'file type' in explorer showed my brain-fart.

Then either the signal is too weak or your tap/interface is no bueno.
using the icom extio driver which hdsdr controls the radio with. sound card including vb cable all set to 48k 24bit.
hdsdr is set to i/q for left right in from the radio and output is set to af output to both channels. that gets routed to vb cable, then to fastlane. but i've tried different settings. suggestions? hdsdr is set to 48000 output in the sampling rate window.
signals are blazing in. i'm los of the towers about 3 miles away as the bird flies.
for weak freqs...real weak ones i've tried my nooelec lna. i get data streaming in with no pauses like i saw with weak signals w/o the lna.

Since you're not trunk tracking, it doesn't matter.
that's cool to know. just wondering. if it doesn't matter then why the message? is it normal and could it be fixed?

My tip would be to use an SDR dongle with a decent antenna along with FMPA/FMPP/FMP24. Eliminates all of the discriminator tap nonsense.
going backwards on this. using i/q output from the icom. no discriminator tap. and in the am i'll hook up the rsp2 and give it a go. thanks for the patience.

It's the boonies here. Probably not much voice traffic in the evenings like in a city. Even voice traffic in the 150MHz band is sparse. Mornings look like my best bet for now.

slicerwizard

You've trashed the quoting real good...

So you're using HDSDR? And you have it configured for digital data / flat audio / no filtering?

The message doesn't matter because you're not trunk tracking. It would matter to anyone who was trying to trunk track. You can fix it by adding the missing channel information. It's no different than programming a scanner - you wouldn't expect it to trunk track if you hadn't told it how to do so, would you?

ArloG

You've trashed the quoting real good...

So you're using HDSDR? And you have it configured for digital data / flat audio / no filtering?

HDSDR is set for FM 12.5kHz bandwidth.
SDR Device is of course IC-R8600.
Sampling Rate is Input: 5120000 , Output is 48000
Digital Data is for Digital Radio Mondiale and is USB with an 11k bandwidth. So that's a no-go
No tone controls, no filtering options.
Have you used HDSDR at all? That is the defacto application Icom wrote their extio for. SDRConsole works with it too.
SDRPLAY devices work with it.

Hopefully the trunk tracking issue can be dealt with later on. No. I'm not a scanner guy with years of experience using or programming them. Digital data formats intrigue me. I have a fulfilling career in industrial electronics and automation plus machine control. That said. If NXDN is not a trunking format then cool. DSD+ is sparsely documented in clear to understand language with spotty at most tutorials. Mostly people say turn it on and it runs. Then we dive into Fastlane.
Sorry for not being versed in this. Just eager to learn enough to get it working in it's simplest form.

For future reference how exactly did I trash the quote? I'm not, will not stand on a soap box and profess anything but I thought I had given enough front end hardware and software configuration information to go from there.
As a member of other forums I deal with folks who are new to niche electronics interests. So far they appreciate the assistance and suggestions I offer. But you know. Sometimes too much information is better than going back and forth with too little. So how did I trash the quote? If it was offensive or out of line it was certainly not intentional. Sir.

If in fact you're interested in what I was hearing on an NXDN96 frequency that may make you say "Oh, That".

slicerwizard

[There's nothing here]
You see that? That's what the website says you wrote. Nothing.

Look at post #25. It says I wrote everything - including what you wrote. That's what I mean by you trashing the quoting.

No, I have no use for HDSDR, so while I tried it, probably a few years ago, I can't troubleshoot it. Maybe someone else can.

Trunk tracking is dealt with by using a dongle with the corresponding FMP variant. Conventional monitoring can be done with software like HDSDR.

NXDN is a digital voice/data format. It supports conventional and trunked communications.

Your issue is not with DSD+. It's spitting out what you're giving it. Flat raw audio with an acceptable noise level would yield clear digital voice.

You provided a copy of what's coming out of DSD+. All it reveals is that what's going in is no good. Use the menus in DSD+ to record what's going in and upload that instead.

slicerwizard

Same issue here. I emailed for support 6 days ago and still waiting.
Wow. I wouldn't wait six days. I'd hit 'em up again the next day.

Mind you, the password from the last notification email (for 2.212 or 2.228?) has been working fine, so need to do so yet. Why are so many needing passwords?

cg

Premium Subscriber
The version you got in December has the password you would need. The one before that may have been different.
Once you get it, keep it where you will remember. You will be needing it for new versions as they are not emailed any longer.

chris

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

My password and zip file name changed with the 2.228 update. I also missed the 2.235 update as there is no more emails and the release was not mentioned on RR as being availalbe. As I mentioned before in another thread, you can not skip any updates. The first fastlane zip file has all the changed files since 1.101, then each subsequent fastlane zip file only has changed files since the last fastlane zip file. I save my own zip files of each version with all the provided files.

I think that eliminating emails has made update management worse as I use DSDPlus on laptops that are not always connected on the internet. If emails are impractical, then a post here on RR for each update would be helpful.

Changed files
DSDPlus.exe 03/04/2020
Notes.txt 03/03/2020

DSDPlus.exe 01/14/2020
FMP24.exe 01/13/2020
FMPA.exe 01/13/2020
FMP-Map.EXE 01/13/2020
FMPP.exe 01/14/2020
LRRP.EXE 01/13/2020
Notes.txt 01/14/2020
Survey.exe 01/13/2020

DSDPlus.exe 12/21/2019
FMP24.exe 12/06/2019
FMPA.exe 12/03/2019
FMPP.exe 12/08/2019
LRRP.EXE 11/30/2019
Notes.txt 12/21/2019
sdrplay_api.dll 11/25/2019

DSDPlus.exe 09/25/2019
FMP-Map.EXE 04/02/2019
Notes.txt 09/25/2019

DSDPlus.exe 09/18/2019
FMP24.exe 09/03/2019
FMPA.exe 09/03/2019
FMPP.exe 09/03/2019
LRRP.EXE 09/01/2019
Notes.txt 09/18/2019

73 Eric

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Thread Recap
Has there been any email delivery issues? I haven't received an email for this version. :(
you update it through its own updater that the fl version has had for a bit click on check for updates in the misc options

Changed files
DSDPlus.exe 03/04/2020
Notes.txt 03/03/2020

DSDPlus.exe 01/14/2020
FMP24.exe 01/13/2020
FMPA.exe 01/13/2020
FMP-Map.EXE 01/13/2020
FMPP.exe 01/14/2020
LRRP.EXE 01/13/2020
Notes.txt 01/14/2020
Survey.exe 01/13/2020

DSDPlus.exe 12/21/2019
FMP24.exe 12/06/2019
FMPA.exe 12/03/2019
FMPP.exe 12/08/2019
LRRP.EXE 11/30/2019
Notes.txt 12/21/2019
sdrplay_api.dll 11/25/2019

DSDPlus.exe 09/25/2019
FMP-Map.EXE 04/02/2019
Notes.txt 09/25/2019

DSDPlus.exe 09/18/2019
FMP24.exe 09/03/2019
FMPA.exe 09/03/2019
FMPP.exe 09/03/2019
LRRP.EXE 09/01/2019
Notes.txt 09/18/2019

73 Eric
The version you got in December has the password you would need. The one before that may have been different.
Once you get it, keep it where you will remember. You will be needing it for new versions as they are not emailed any longer.

chris

when was DSD+ 2.242 released i did not get an e-mail from DSD fastlane.
DSDPlus.exe 03/04/2020
Notes.txt 03/03/2020
I didn't get it either.

:rolleyes:

BM82557

Be sure you have Automatically Check for Updates checked in the Misc menu, if you do you when get notified with a pop-up when a new version is released -

Screenshot - 3_13_2020 , 05_34_51.png

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Be sure you have Automatically Check for Updates checked in the Misc menu, if you do you when get notified with a pop-up when a new version is released -

View attachment 81733
But only if the computer/laptop is connected to Internet.

73 Eric

PS: I wonder how may users are stuck at 2.228 because they do not use RR and do not have automatic updates on. I did not know of the recent updates for months until I stumbled on this thread. There should have been an email from the DSDPlus developers about the change.

Another potential problem I just realized is there could be two updates if the user does not check often enough. Does the software install both of them or just the last one? It seems like the new update method is worse than the old one since updates are not cumulative.

Last edited:

DRL-XM43

Internet is needed for both e-mail and autoupdate that is a wash.

-If the program is run it detects a new version when there is one.

(like a 100% of all properly supported commercial products)

-You can manually check for updates also.
-It offers to download it into your DSD+ folder.
-It is a 7-zip file and needs to be uncompressed.
-The last e-mail password you had will be needed - or contact the author and explain.
-Copy uncompressed files into DSD+ folder.

Good tip - once you have established the correct password - save it somewhere for use in the next update.

Better or worse don't matter - that is how it is :)

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Internet is needed for both e-mail and autoupdate that is a wash.

-If the program is run it detects a new version when there is one.

(like a 100% of all properly supported commercial products)

-You can manually check for updates also.
-It offers to download it into your DSD+ folder.
-It is a 7-zip file and needs to be uncompressed.
-The last e-mail password you had will be needed - or contact the author and explain.
-Copy uncompressed files into DSD+ folder.

Good tip - once you have established the correct password - save it somewhere for use in the next update.

Better or worse don't matter - that is how it is :)
Hello,

Does autoupdate properly handle download if there are two or more updates?

I would say nearly 100% of the other commercial products I use:
Provide cumulative updates and patches
Inform their customers by email when they are abandoning using email to inform customers.
Update their website with updated information about updates and tips, like saving the password for future updates.

I disagree that DSD+ is a properly supported commercial product. Autoupdate is only part of the picture and DSD+ developers are heavily depending on a few RR users to provide news and support to the other users they leave in the dark.

BTW, they should remove the comment on the website about a public release every six months. It has not happened in years, and I doubt it will ever happen again.

73 Eric

DRL-XM43

Hello,

Does autoupdate properly handle download if there are two or more updates?

I would say nearly 100% of the other commercial products I use:
Provide cumulative updates and patches
Inform their customers by email when they are abandoning using email to inform customers.
Update their website with updated information about updates and tips, like saving the password for future updates.

I disagree that DSD+ is a properly supported commercial product. Autoupdate is only part of the picture and DSD+ developers are heavily depending on a few RR users to provide news and support to the other users they leave in the dark.

BTW, they should remove the comment on the website about a public release every six months. It has not happened in years, and I doubt it will ever happen again.

73 Eric

I stated the facts of the matter as I know them.

It sounds to me that a productive approach to your issues would be to establish a dialogue with the entity responsible and express your views, I assume you have the email address.

I personally have not required multiple downloads of updates. I assume since it seems to check current installed versions it would do backlog as single consecutive updates - but I do not know that as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.