New DSD Windows Build 1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

In DSD 1.6 does the DSD option -ff still need to be used for the increased DMR decode capability or has the filter been defaulted into in the program?
I am guessing that is what he is referring to in the OP's New feature #2, just want to make sure.

Last edited:

n4yek

Been a month with no reply so I want to ask this question again:
I am not a programmer, just a curious question on DMR decoding, can the 'slot idle' information be filtered out?
That way you don't have it constantly streaming down the screen but just show the data and voice information.
I know there are no "options" in the DSD software, was just wondering if it could be written inside of the DSD program with an option to do this?
Thanks in advance, again i am just curious.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Keep in mind that the person who released 1.6 is not the one who originally authored DSD. He may not be wanting/willing to just pick up the project. He seems to have [very graciously] added the filtering [which makes a huge difference for me] and fixed one other problem that existed in previous versions.

But I wouldn't expect too much out of him. He has never come right out and said he was picking up the project and taking requests. And DSDauthor (the original author) has been AWOL for some time I think -- or at least not vocal on the boards.

I think we need to be happy with what we have for now. Of course, it doesn't hurt to throw out your ideas for improvements. Just don't expect anything to happy -- and be happy if/when it does :)

Mike

n4yek

I understand he is not the original author, and I am very happy with the program. I was just wondering if that was possible and wishing that it could be done.
Thanks for your reply though. :)

RADIOGUY2002

audio feed

What do I need to feed the audio to the software application if I have a gre500/600

English please, its occuiped slot 1, what else is I missing in reading this. It also tells me its mbc? How do I play the audio back to hear it?

Attachments

• dsd.JPG
    dsd.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,979
Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
1. Your audio gain into DSD is WAY too high. You'll likely never get 1 second of audio that you can understand. Shoot for 20-30 INLVL. Anything higher and you've got too much audio gain into DSD.

2. Just because you see "Voice" doesn't mean it's voice traffic. If you are using the inverted switch (-xr) when you shouldn't be, or aren't using the inverted switch (-xr) when you should be, you'll see DSD display that voice is being decoded when actuality that isn't happening.

3. Even if you are using the right inversion and even if your incoming audio is exactly how DSD wants to see it for best decoding, it can still display Voice without you hearing anything. Why? Because DSD does not decode encrypted TRBO. If the transmissions are encrypted, it'll show Voice but you won't hear anything.

Mike

Mike_G_D

DSD requires a discriminator tap connection to a radio receiver. IOW, it requires unfiltered/unprocessed raw audio prior to the audio deemphasis and filtering sections of the receiver. Any radio receiver with the suitable frequency coverage should suffice though, of course, the RF performance of the radio will determine the overall performance quality you will experience. I use an old Pro-2052 and it works ok with DMR/Mototurbo. I've had no luck with NXDN but that could be for many reasons. As I understand it the software will handle NXDN (with the proper command line switches); in my case, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware is to blame as, for one thing, NXDN ideally requires a very tight IF filter with excellent group delay (I am assuming based on my past experience with digital modulation) plus a very stable local oscillator (and probably a very low noise one as well) which most consumer quality scanners don't provide - possibly not a problem in low RF density environments but a problem in urban areas. It certainly could also be operator error as I am pretty new to DSD use and not real bright on command line expertise.

Also, the original author of DSD has not been heard from on these forums for quite some time - at least under his/her original username. Other(s) have converted the original Linux program to operate in a Windows environment and added some filtering. What you generally see here on these forums is a loose group interaction trying to make the most of the DSD software "as-is" and maybe, when possible, and when the expertise is present, occasionally tweek the software a little.

-Mike

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, I guess the question would be if I get the psr-500 can the standard ports be used to do the feed breakdown.

No. As previously stated, DSD requires raw, unfiltered discriminator audio. The make/model of scanner/receiver is irrelevant, it only needs to receive the frequency you intend on monitoring, and have a discriminator tap.

Mike_G_D

No. The 500 does not have a discriminator output as standard. You would have to open it up and do the modification yourself. The PSR800, on the other hand, as I understand it, does have the capability to send true discriminator audio directly to the headphone jack though I have no experience with that model. GRE incorrectly labels this as a "IF output" rather than as a "discriminator" output as I recall. Also, confusingly, the "IF" in the label for the "PC/IF" port of both models stands for "interface" as in "PC (I)nter(F)ace" which is for the computer control of the units as well as outputting processed digital bitstreams for trunking control channel data from EDACS, Motorola, and P25 trunking control channel decoded data.

People understandably get these confused all of the time. In my mind, GRE has done a poor job of labeling and clarifying the use of these ports to the less technically inclined user.

In a nutshell:

PSR500
-----------

PC/IF port = PC interface aka computer control interface also capable of outputting processed digital data which results from the demodulation of some trunking schemes (Motorola, EDACS, and P25). This has nothing to do with either a discriminator output or a separate output for the receiver's final intermediate frequency (IF) section.

There is no stock discriminator output available on this model therefore requiring internal modification to allow that capability if the user desires.

PSR800
-----------

PC/IF port is same as above, however, the unit also has the ability to send discriminator raw audio (as far as I know - with no processing) to the headphone jack thus requiring no internal modification for that capability. This is, or at least used to be incorrectly labeled as "IF Output"; I have no direct experience with this unit and do not know if GRE has changed their nomenclature in newer software/firmware and/or user manuals. The correct label for this would have been "Discriminator Output" which would have been quite clear. A true "IF Output" would tap the output of the final IF BEFORE the discriminator section or any demodulation section.

All I know of the Uniden HP-1 is that it has some kind of data output but I am unclear what its characteristics and limitations are.

-Mike

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've had no luck with NXDN but that could be for many reasons. As I understand it the software will handle NXDN (with the proper command line switches); in my case, I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware is to blame as, for one thing, NXDN ideally requires a very tight IF filter with excellent group delay (I am assuming based on my past experience with digital modulation) plus a very stable local oscillator (and probably a very low noise one as well) which most consumer quality scanners don't provide - possibly not a problem in low RF density environments but a problem in urban areas

DSD will work with conventional NXDN, but not trunked NXDN.. which is what you are most likely trying to listen to.

freqhopping

I hadn't been follow the whole DSD thing since it was only for Linux. Just download the Windows version to try and I've got it working for the most part right away.

BCD996T tapped and fed into the only audio input on my Asus A73E

The only issue though is that I still hear the raw input over top of the voice so I can't really make out what is being said.

Mike_G_D

The only issue though is that I still hear the raw input over top of the voice so I can't really make out what is being said.

Make sure that you uncheck the option to listen to the line or mic (whichever input you are using for the DSD input) recording device in the sound options in Windows. If you're listening to the input while DSD is running then, yes, you will hear the raw input sound as well as the decoded audio.

-Mike

Mike_G_D

DSD will work with conventional NXDN, but not trunked NXDN.. which is what you are most likely trying to listen to.

Possibly. I am pretty new at DSD and correctly identifying the different variations of DMR and PMR conventional and trunked. The signal I am attempting to monitor is pretty constant so could be a control channel for either the NEXEDGE or iDAS trunking format. But then the DMR/Mototurbo signals are also and these do seem to contain audio information. NXDN, of course, is a completely different animal. All I can say is that the signals stay on the same frequencies (as far as I can tell in limited observation but one is definitely fixed on a single frequency) and I note no other apparent voice channels though these would be easy to miss in the busy UHF business band in my area.

Anyway, I'm a newb so operator error and ignorance are absolutely relevant factors!

-Mike

jeffkett

Looking for some help...

I will say upfront I am very new to this DSD monitoring. I was previously using the earlier version of this program which had the motorola reverse program already included in the download. I understand that this new version has "self detect" ability, but I am not having any luck with the TRBO system I am listening to. How would I reverse the signal? Also I am hearing noise(?) through my speakers and a lot of data is showing on the display, but the voice is like Mickey Mouse. Any suggestions? Thanks Jeff

jeffkett

That is where some of my problem lies..I am not aware of how or where to make those changes to show the -xr . I just zipped open the download , opened the folder and the "dsd" was already there. I dont know how to manipulate the commands?

Status
Not open for further replies.