AR-DV1 New DV1-Control Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneataylor

Hi All

If anyone wants to help Beta test a new DV1 Control/Remote access program I am developing please request access to the private Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1335281723262266/ (Anyone that doesn't want to use FB please contact me direct by PM)

The main features are shown below:
  • Full computer control of most DV1 features
  • Live edit/view of all memories
  • Live edit of band search banks
  • Advanced scan/search functions
    • Search log - shows if frequency is already stored and allow easy adding if not
    • Frequency database - shows matching entries with distance from “HOME” location
      • Includes full OFCOM WTR database
      • Includes UK amateur repeaters & UK Airband
      • Also shows matches on a map
      • More databases/countries will be added in future versions
    • Full TCP/IP remote control, including audio using Client Server mode
      • Can be accessed from local network or on the Internet with suitable router configuration
      • Software runs in either Client or Server mode. Client mode functions identically to direct serial connected mode, but remotely.
    • ‘Bandscope’ function that shows band activity graphically and links to memories and frequency database
    • Software its fully written in C# and is a fully multi-threaded application giving a very responsive program
    • Currently only Windows is supported, but a MAC and maybe mobile clients are planned
Things to note
  • The software is currently in very early Beta mode, so no guarantee can be given that it won’t break things!
  • I’ve initially concentrated mainly on functionality rather than looks, so visual appearance isn’t great but will improve with future versions.
A few sample screenshots shown attached to whet your appetite.

Wayne

No photo description available.

Last edited:

Boas

Hello,

I am interested but don't have a facebook account.

73 Josef

morfis

.........also, no farceblog......

Not seen mentioned on the UK scanning bulletin boards?

hamradionl

I love see your software, looks very nice.
But in Europe where i live, we put fakecoke in a permanent ban....
Personally i dont like the guy who owns it :)

morfis

Wayne,
Download works fine.
Installer doesn't ask to or create any shortcuts.
Frequency scope could do with a stop button (or toggle on the start)
Feq info - nice idea but remote database isn't accurate enough (airband) so a local one used first would be better
Does the software send you my location/device serial number? (could have looked to see what was going in/out but didn't!).
Red text may cause problems for some people, I find it hard to read.
Dynamic display size would be useful. Some space wasted (unused...maybe for future use) on main display

Easy to use in my limited playing so far.

wayneataylor

Thanks for your comments @morfis

There should be a desktop shortcut created, I'll also add a Programs one too and I'll check re the desktop one!

I have got a stop/pause button planned in the frequency scope, watch this space.

The freq info is currently only really useful for users in the UK, I'm looking at maybe adding other country areas in the future. I plan to have these maybe updated automatically online.

And no, program sends nothing back at all currently to me, the only web calls are a Google reverse search to get lat/long, calls to OpenStreetMaps to show maps of matching freqs (only UK at present) and a call to my site API on startup to check if later version is available.

Noted re Red Text, might look at adding colour options.

Dynamic display definitely on my list of enhancements to make it 'prettier' and more display efficient.

Thanks again for taking time to comment.

Cheers
Wayne

morfis

My mistake Wayne - there was a desktop one. Not sure why I didn't show before but deleted now anyway (not what i use my desktop screens for)
Info on airband stuff not necessarily useful for UK users...it's not accurate enough for some of them...well me anyway ;)
Call to get location from address...how about add location or add address (for lookup)? I assumed it would accept any of those fields so I put in lat/long first then when it didn't work I used a postcode (which it was happy with) rather than full address.

I'll have another play tomorrow...really only skimmed across things today after installing.

wayneataylor

OK thanks @morfis

The location just sends what is typed and lets Google Geolocation try and find a match, so for UK a postcode normally works!

As an airband listener, what would you rather it have would you think? I basically just compiled a list of UK based frequencies I could find and what they are used for, and some have a location too. When I've scanned around the airband, I've found it useful to see what airport/airfield or sector is linked to that frequency.

I'm not a big airband fan, so be useful to learn what would be useful from someone that is!

cheers
wayne

morfis

In my case I wouldn't want to use a list from anyone else. Centralised lists can cause problems. Recently a NOTAM for Fairford included a frequency that they couldn't have safely used there as it would have caused problems for an existing user. It wasn't in the next NOTAM but neither did they issue a NOTAM to say it was withdrawn. Probably programmed into dozens of scanners now. Difficult for you to make sense of, especially if you aren't interested in that spectrum. Let's take another recent one...it's in your list as an air to air but more acurately it is an Operations allocation. Is that important? To some people probably...to others probably not.

I would think that most airband listeners (not me) would want to have airfields, London TMA, Swanwick but the lookup becomes problematic due to channel names. I see people using online receivers and they tune them to say 118.580 - that is incorrect as they have tuned a channel name, the frequency is still 118.575. They'd want the Swanwick Mil stuff...easy for the ICFs but far less so for some of the discretes. Common air to air freqs - by which I mean used regularly rather than the US usage of things like 'cheerleader' or 'winchester' etc.
NATS have the full electonic AIP available (most countries do, though some require you to register first) and that has all the main freqs for airfields and routes (with a bit of jiggery-pokery you could put a 'location' for the airways stuff though it would be a bit fuzzy). The documents use the channel names ...which is fine for aircraft as the modern radios can accept the name and tune the correct frequency, or accept a frequency directly. Not so fine for all the anoraks who after twenty years still can't see the difference between a channel name and a frequency.
The Military version is also online so has all the main airbase type stuff too.
WTR lookup has it's own share of problems - systems registered to an admin location rather than transmitter location springs to mind.

wayneataylor

Ah OK, I did make a point of making sure that I used the actual frequencies rather than the channel names as I do fully understand that side.

And yes WTR lookup can be an issue, but is still valid for most lookups I'd say.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.