NEW: EBC100 External battery charger - Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunrights

It's Not About Guns, It's About Freedom!
I have purchased two of the EBC100 external battery chargers and neither one of them work. There is no 5 V coming from the wall wart. Both were purchased through Amazon and one of them was fulfilled by "Police Scanner Outlet" and the other one was fulfilled by Amazon.

Is it just a coincidence that I have received two that do not work or has anyone else had this issue? The reason I ordered the second one was that the first did not work but I have not returned it as of yet. The second one that was fulfilled by Amazon looks like it had been opened and someone tried to use it and maybe it was returned.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Return them both! That is so odd that you got two non-working chargers.

I've noticed that if I got some kind of grit that causes the battery to not sit flush on the charger, the pogo plugs don't engage properly and the charger doesn't charge the batteries.

gunrights

Took one of them apart and tested for power right on the board. Looks like you don't get any voltage until you have a load. It appears the board has been reworked at least for the power plug. You can see at the solder flux was not cleaned off. Not a very good soldering job on the positive side. Reworked it and now I can charge my battery.

20210109_204847002_iOS (Medium).png

20210109_205026943_iOS (Small).png

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Took one of them apart and tested for power right on the board. Looks like you don't get any voltage until you have a load. It appears the board has been reworked at least for the power plug. You can see at the solder flux was not cleaned off. Not a very good soldering job on the positive side. Reworked it and now I can charge my battery.

View attachment 96760

View attachment 96761
Mine works, but out of curiosity I took mine apart and the flux wasn’t cleaned off either. Good thing it was a easy enough fix for you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Flux residue doesn't necessarily mean manual rework. I've seen it lots of times on boards that clearly had no manual soldering done to them.

radio3353

It is called no-clean flux. 99.9% of consumer products are now built with it for cost saving (eliminates cleaning step.) It is not a problem if left alone. You can actually create problems by trying to clean it off as you may break the outer layer which can expose potentially corrosive flux activators, salts, etc. This is especially common when hand spot cleaning with a solvent like alcohol. Professionals only clean no-clean fluxes in automated equipment that washes the residue completely away from the board. Know the science before proceeding ;)

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
So both chargers actually worked right out of the box, correct? The perceived issue was no voltage, but once they sensed the battery was inserted everything was fine...so the flux had nothing to do with it.

gunrights

So both chargers actually worked right out of the box, correct? The perceived issue was no voltage, but once they sensed the battery was inserted everything was fine...so the flux had nothing to do with it.

One still not working

Status
Not open for further replies.