New EMT here

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndrella

Premium Subscriber
How are you guys doing. I'm new to the forum here. I've been an emt now for about 8 months. I recently got a baofeng uv5r and am trying to program it for work. I seem to have gotten the receive frequencies all programmed and working. But I cannot transmit. How can I correctly put in transmit frequencies?
thanks

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
First of all do you have permission from your employer to have a personal radio? And if you do the uv5r is not part 90 certified so legally you cannot use it on public safety channels. I don't like to sound so harsh but I don't want to see you get in trouble.

johndrella

Premium Subscriber
First of all do you have permission from your employer to have a personal radio? And if you do the uv5r is not part 90 certified so legally you cannot use it on public safety channels.

I do have permission. I see, I guess I need a new radio. Either way, I still don't understand why I can not get the tx set up

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Your frequency off set is probably wrong or you have the wrong PL. But for a part 90 radio there is alot of possibilities I prefer Kenwood over Motorola but that's just my opinion.

johndrella

Premium Subscriber
Your frequency off set is probably wrong or you have the wrong PL. But for a part 90 radio there is alot of possibilities I prefer Kenwood over Motorola but that's just my opinion.

are the pl's listed on the site ? and I am looking into kenwoods right now

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
In order for me to help you I would need to know what state and county you are located in?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I would hook up with the people who maintain your department's radios to assure everything is correct and "your" programming does not cause problems on the system. They may even be able to give you a good deal on a used radio.

First of all do you have permission from your employer to have a personal radio? And if you do the uv5r is not part 90 certified so legally you cannot use it on public safety channels. I don't like to sound so harsh but I don't want to see you get in trouble.

Not trying to start a pissing match but the UV5R is most certainly certified for Part 90 operation, you can find it listed as such on the FCC site.

Go to Baofeng UV5R UV82 UV82X GT3 UVB5 Information Site, Two-Way, Ham Radio, BaoFeng, Camera, Outdoor, hunting, camping, GMRS, FRS, Ham Radio, Mobile Transceiver, Walkie-Talkie for any info you need related to the radio.

You can't TX on that radio because is a Chinese made. You're lucky the thing powers on. Get yourself an Motorola HT1250. Don't waist your money on Kenwood. Next time, get something of quality and don't be so cheap.

That is all.

Last edited by a moderator:

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Check this radio out = Dual band ( receive only ) and 512 chanels. I carried a Vertex when I started out in the Fire and EMS service. They are built like a brick, andthey are VERY hard to beat.

Vertex Standard | VX-P920

Ready To Respond With P25 Interoperability
512 Channels and 32 Groups (w/LCD)
5 Watts
VHF: 134 – 174 MHz
UHF: 380 - 450 MHz; 400 – 470 MHz; 450 – 512 MHz
7 Programmable Keys (w/LCD)
12-Character Alphanumeric Display
700 mW Audio Output
FCC Narrowbanding Compliant

Mixed Mode -- Seamlessly switch between analog to P25 digital mode on each channel based
on call type received and on programming for transmit.

Dual-Band Receive For Enhanced Communications.With the Sub-Receiver option, get single VHF or UHF transmit with dual band receive for greater flexibility and multi-agency interoperability.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Hey productionguy85, as a whole that uv5r is pretty decent. I got a 2 pack to beef up my backup radio stock for $37 shipped. My intent was backup use but you know what? They're all I've been using. 1 battery dies, grab the second and charge the first.

Good clean audio on TX and rx, narrow band compliant, built like a brick sh**h**se, battery lasts 8 hours during QSO's, the software is mind-numbingly easy to use.

In fact the only "downside" is that I didn't shell out an arm or a leg for these rigs.

I thought I was going to get the package and open it up, fiddle with junk, and immediately repackage it then put the return shipping tag on the box.

Not so much. I'd say get off the moto high-horse and let this one ride.

ff-medic

Banned
Hey productionguy85, as a whole that uv5r is pretty decent. I got a 2 pack to beef up my backup radio stock for $37 shipped. My intent was backup use but you know what? They're all I've been using. 1 battery dies, grab the second and charge the first.

They don't have them here at work, but having a second battery is a GREAT deal.

Good clean audio on TX and rx, narrow band compliant, built like a brick sh**h**se, battery lasts 8 hours during QSO's, the software is mind-numbingly easy to use.

Built like a brick. That is what I said about my Vertex....that I did have.....about 1997 or 1998.

In fact the only "downside" is that I didn't shell out an arm or a leg for these rigs.

Yep. One of the many downsides to Motorola.....is that high price. I work hard for my paycheck, real hard. One of the things I should be able to have is good reliable radio communications, among the other many products I use.

I thought I was going to get the package and open it up, fiddle with junk, and immediately repackage it then put the return shipping tag on the box.

SOME non-brand name products.....out perform the brand name products. It does seem silly ( in a good way ) that you can get a $150.00 portable ham radio, and do the same thing, if not "more" and better, than the $1200.00 brand name radio. AND if you have dispatch troubles, or tower troubles, more than likely there is a "HAM" out there that will help you.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
FF Medic

I will say that for the money you're spending on a Moto, EF J, Kenwood or Harris, you are buying tried and true tested gear that will meet or exceed the expected results. A Baofeng will do most of that except it isn't tried and true, yet.

I use a small fleet of them in the business world as our fleet of Moto GP300's are slowly dying. I am using fx888's as the "turn it on and use it" radio of choice but my handheld are the uv5r.

ff-medic

Banned
FF Medic

I will say that for the money you're spending on a Moto, EF J, Kenwood or Harris, you are buying tried and true tested gear that will meet or exceed the expected results. A Baofeng will do most of that except it isn't tried and true, yet.

When I started out in the Fire Service, I was issued a Kenwood. I bought my own Vertex ( Off of a recommendation from a guy I took Auto Extrication class with - and he was not wrong ) and it litterly took a beating sometimes. Now I carry Motorola ( issued - Mototrbo in analog mode ). Off all the radios I have used and carried, I like Vertex.

I had a ham radio at one time I got off of one of my supervisors. I set on the counch in my livingroom..... about two or two and a half years ago, and I programmed it to one of my work frequencys. One radio check later it worked GREAT, a crystal clear signal. The audio was perfect. I had the transmit frequency, Receive Frequency, and the Transmit and Receive PL's all correct.

I use a small fleet of them in the business world.......

Business radios you say?

Here ya go - some general radio pricing information ( VHF and UHF models )

Vertex VX-231 radio = $159.00

Vertex VX231 UHF Two Way Radio [VX231-G7UN] | Two Way Direct

Vertex VX-451 radio = $259.00
Vertex VX-451-G7 Two Way Radio (UHF)

Vertex VX-351 radio = $194.00
Vertex VX-351-AG Two Way Radio (UHF)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vertex Standard offers total system solutions to the world's public safety markets and our broad lineup of products, ranging from base repeaters to utility and mobile transceivers, all meet the strictest of national or regional standards. Our products have cleared the U.S. Department of Defense MIL810 standard, the IS (Intrinsically Safe) standard for use in emergency situations, and the ETIS standard in Europe.

Can't beat this =
Our sales and R&D departments work closely together to suggest appropriate systems for each region and if so desired, will do the actual installation and support as well.

Vertex VX-231 radio = $191.00
http://www.psicompany.com/vertex-vx-231-ad0-5-pkg2-vhf-portable-radio/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vertex radios are good, solid and dependable radios. I believe they are the best radios on the market, with Kenwood a close second. They are the standard that others radios wish to be.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

I have tried to get off my "high-horse" but I keep stepping in horse cr*p like EFJ, Harris, Kenwood, then it gets spread around and eventually gets carried into the house. So I just assume stay on my horse horse. Likewise, are you going to tell an avid sports fan of a loosing team to forget about his loosing team, just because they can't win any games. NO, don't think soooooooo.

That is all.

ff-medic

Banned
FF Medic

Everyone wants interoperability, tried and true radios. Dual band, with limited distortion and noise problems. I understand that Research and Devolopment is costly, and a company has to make a profit. But "raking in the money" from Public Safety, which by far is the largest Land Mobile Radio business.....in my opinion, needs to be stopped. A "radio business" makes a few million off of a Public Safety Entity, I can understand. But taking that Public Safety Entity "To the Bank" and cashing million upon millions is crazy. Excessive Overbidding of contracts needs to be stopped.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.