New fire station, but no engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
1/2 a million dollars for personnel (in addition to the 2 million dollars for the bulding itself) and no real fire suppression equipment... Sure, there are medical personnel but the other question is how far away is the closest medical transport unit? There's only so much the "first responders" can do - they still need to get te patient to the hospital... and that isn't going to happen in a brush truck. They could at least give them an ambulance!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
troymail said:
1/2 a million dollars for personnel (in addition to the 2 million dollars for the bulding itself) and no real fire suppression equipment... Sure, there are medical personnel but the other question is how far away is the closest medical transport unit? There's only so much the "first responders" can do - they still need to get te patient to the hospital... and that isn't going to happen in a brush truck. They could at least give them an ambulance!

No ambulances Aurora is non transport but Rural Metro will be there in about 15 minutes, that's if they can find the address.

Jim<

troymail

Silent Key
jimmnn said:
No ambulances Aurora is non transport but Rural Metro will be there in about 15 minutes, that's if they can find the address.

Jim<

Ah. I should have known.... it's what we "don't know" that makes us look dumb :(

I guess I have to admit, at least, based on the article, Aurora was trying to stay ahead of things by putting in a station in anticipation of the new residential development (unheard of in my area on the east coast - we're always playing catchup on everything).

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
There are a couple of things that I do not understand about this whole Station 14 thing.

A) Why would they build a station 14 before the "planned" station 15 in Murphy Creek on Gun Club Road? I mean, right now, it is like a 12-16 minute fire department response down there, and usully even longer for RMA since they are coming from Miss. and Chambers. I think that this whole thing with the two paramedics would work a lot better down in Murphy Creek, since ALS is so far away. With Station 14, you have a full engine company maybe 5 minutes away, unless they are out of service.

B) Why put a brush truck at Station 14 and not one of the Suburbans like AFD has about 6 of? I mean, with a Brush truck and station 14 open, they would have been first in and on scene to that huge fire the other day over in that neighborhood, but yet would have had to stand there and watch it burn because you can't go in on a two man crew. With brush fires, it is not much different, which I doubt they have to worry about in the middle of the city. Why not put a suburban down there liike med 2 and all of the chiefs have? This way, you have the medics to respond, and should an engine company be needed, which would be dispatched anyway for a fire, you have one 5 minutes or less away...

Attachments

• BATT%201.jpg
    BATT%201.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 295
  • MED%202.jpg
    MED%202.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 293
  • BATT%202.jpg
    BATT%202.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 295

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
The development down south (Tallyns, etc) is a greater distance from existing fire stations than from Murphy Creek. The article actually made sense: slower-than-anticipated growth in the Tallyns area plus budget problems meant waiting to staff the station, which was already being built (and paid for.)
As far as building in Tallyns before Murphy: you ever been out there? Tallyns is a long way from any other Aurora facility. Really only one way into the area, because Smoky Hill, E470 and Gun Club Road essentially come from the same neighborhood as they run south. Murphy, OTOH, has 6th/Gun Club to the north and Jewell/Iliff to the west, plus E470, with multiple city facilities in either direction.
Regarding the Suburbans, I don't think AFD uses theirs the same way Denver paramedics use theirs at DIA...do they? I thought they were just fire chief cars (Like DFD does with their Expeditions.)
I'm just glad they finally have enough money to put someone out there.
BTW, I finally saw the new Cunningham station at Smoky and Buckley this morning... what a great place for a station! Heck, they don't even have to drive to the grocery - it's a few feet away.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Oh god, Rat Metro and AMR--what happened here in one part of the county I live in Wa. state was several fire districts just started their own BLS transport(volunteers must work a shift each month) after AMR would not guarantee a min. response time. The ALS portion has always been run county-wide by a Medic One system which is shared by several career depts.

That suburban could be used as a ALS first responder, at least thats what they did here with an Expedition and 4 paramedics.

MikeyB

n0doz said:
The development down south (Tallyns, etc) is a greater distance from existing fire stations than from Murphy Creek. The article actually made sense: slower-than-anticipated growth in the Tallyns area plus budget problems meant waiting to staff the station, which was already being built (and paid for.)
As far as building in Tallyns before Murphy: you ever been out there? Tallyns is a long way from any other Aurora facility. Really only one way into the area, because Smoky Hill, E470 and Gun Club Road essentially come from the same neighborhood as they run south. Murphy, OTOH, has 6th/Gun Club to the north and Jewell/Iliff to the west, plus E470, with multiple city facilities in either direction.
Regarding the Suburbans, I don't think AFD uses theirs the same way Denver paramedics use theirs at DIA...do they? I thought they were just fire chief cars (Like DFD does with their Expeditions.)
I'm just glad they finally have enough money to put someone out there.
BTW, I finally saw the new Cunningham station at Smoky and Buckley this morning... what a great place for a station! Heck, they don't even have to drive to the grocery - it's a few feet away.

I don't think he's talking about the distance from Tallyns to the rest of Aurora. He's talking about how Aurora stations #13 and #14 are so close together, so now they are basically 2 in Tallyns and none in Murphy Creek.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
MikeyB said:
I don't think he's talking about the distance from Tallyns to the rest of Aurora. He's talking about how Aurora stations #13 and #14 are so close together, so now they are basically 2 in Tallyns and none in Murphy Creek.

And rumor is RM will dedicate an ambulance to Station 14 when it opens, but they use SSM so it'll be very interesting to see how much it's actually in that district.

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
icom1020 said:
Oh god, Rat Metro and AMR--what happened here in one part of the county I live in Wa. state was several fire districts just started their own BLS transport(volunteers must work a shift each month) after AMR would not guarantee a min. response time. The ALS portion has always been run county-wide by a Medic One system which is shared by several career depts.

That suburban could be used as a ALS first responder, at least thats what they did here with an Expedition and 4 paramedics.

Indeed most departments around here have sent the privates packing and taken over Fire Dept ALS first response and transport themselves such as Westy, Thornton, North Metro, West Metro, South Metro, Englewood, Parker, Castle Rock, Littleton (partial), Cunningham, Elizabeth, Larkspur, Grand Junction.

But a few depts remain using the privates for transport. Such as Pueblo, Colorado Springs, Aurora, Longmont, Golden, Boulder etc.

Jim<

fairrpe86

Jim,
When you say Littleton has partially send private packing as far as ALS transports go, what do you mean? As far as I know, don't they transport all of their ALS patients and hand their BLS patients off to Action Care for transport?

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
fairrpe86 said:
Jim,
When you say Littleton has partially send private packing as far as ALS transports go, what do you mean? As far as I know, don't they transport all of their ALS patients and hand their BLS patients off to Action Scare for transport?

Correct that's what I meant the other departments mentioned use FD ambs to transport all pts BLS & ALS while LFD attempts to triage and send the BLS patients with Action Care.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jim<

Moosemedic

Did anyone do the math on the staffing cited in the news article?
$537,000 annually, two people in three shifts.
That's $89,500 per Paramedic, of course that's including benefits.
If you factored that at 30%, it's $62.650 or close to $30 an hour.

fairrpe86

What is average pay for a medic on any of the departments intown? From your post, it seems as if that rate is pretty high.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
If that's a firefighter-paramedic, then that's about right, give or take a couple bucks an hour.
Oh yeah - responding to Mikey B, I assumed that... but I still think distance from covering facilities is the deciding factor.
I failed to mention that Murphy isn't all that big yet. The area around Tallyns, which now goes both north and south of Smoky Hill, is by far a larger area. I'm glad I'm in an established area of Saddle Rock, away from the mega traffic.... but still ony 2 miles to WalMart!

jfab

North Metro did the same thing...They built station 66 and staffed it with two people(medics for ambulances)and no engines.. Do people think a head anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.