New first responder radios to benefit local detachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
New first responder radios to benefit local RCMP | High River Times

New first responder radios to benefit local detachments

The [High River] detachment will transfer to the system within the next couple of months and the High River Fire Department (HRFD) has already introduced the system, according to Robin Alexander, staff sergeant for the High River RCMP.

"We just got some new radios installed in our office, which aren’t on the AFRRCS system but they are AFRRCS capable," he said. "They will roll them out over the next several months to the RCMP detachments."

SCPD

QRT
Rather hefty fees just for one county to have RCMP radios on AFRRCS
$ 12,500 per year, yikes

Jay911

Feed Provider
Unless something has changed and not been published in the AFRRCS newsletters and/or various councils, there is no fee for first responder agencies to have access to the system. I recall that secondary responders - i.e. public works etc - was going to be subject to a fee of something like $275 per subscriber unit (radio) per month, per some documentation I saw a year or so ago, but RCMP or even municipal enforcement/community peace officers/whatever you want to call them surely wouldn't be subject to that.

I don't profess to know at all what the money is for, but my wild-*** guesses would be:

1. Radios. Maybe the town purchases some of the hardware for the detachment in a cost-sharing agreement. I saw a quote for a single all-band Moto APX8000 with every bell and/or whistle that approached the $12.5k mark. Two radios of a more "sane" configuration (maybe APX6000s or 7000s) would probably be $6k apiece.

2. Other hardware. In-building repeaters, vehicle repeaters, base stations? - I don't know for sure but I believe that that kind of stuff is on the end-user to pick up the tab for. I also have no idea what any of these items cost because I haven't ever had the need to quote for them. My area is lucky enough to not need that kind of stuff.

Or it could be something else I'm not thinking about.

I also heard that Grande Prairie recently signed off on giving their FD $450k to purchase 75 APX6000 radios for AFRRCS. That works out to about $6k per radio (like I've always said, the APX model number equals the MSRP). That seems to fall in line with the idea that the money High River is putting out is for extra radios for the Mounties.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Vulcan county has approved $400k for new radios for county fire. The cost for the county public works was going to be $275/radio to be on AFRRCS

Vulcan Advocate - Vulcan_Advocate-0125 - 0003

Communications Group got the contract according to the article, so 99% chance it is Caltronics Communications as they are the Calgary area partner in Communications Group.

And the radios are going to be Kenmores, so sayeth the article! :lol: I suspect they are the JVCKenwood NX-5400 portables I looked at for Redwood over the fall/early winter.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Duel-band radios. Does this mean they will fight against each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.