New Ford F150, New Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

New Install In A Ford F150, I installed a handheld becuase I use it in muiltiple vehicles and also take it with me when I exit the vehicle...It's not the best but at least I have my cupholders and seat back now...I just hate that I can't charge it while it's in the cradle..Hope you enjoy! Feel Free to comment and let me know what you think!

Last edited:

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
F-150 Install Looks Great

I have the same setup in my 2004 Corolla with a different brand vise mount for my PRO-96. The gooseneck is mounted using the existing seatbolt. To solve the power problem, I left the belt clip on the back of the radio. It moves the radio forward enough to allow access to the power port. I use one of my daughter's "pretty hair thingies", along with the vise grip, to hold the radio in place. If the clip is not an option, maybe a little foam padding behind the radio will give you the extra clearance. I also read somewhere on here, a Dremel tool can be used to notch the one side of the vise grip, without having to move the radio forward.

I notice your antenna setup goes bnc to so-239 to pl-239 to bnc. Loose the extra adapters for better reception in the car. You're loosing signal going through all that extra hardware. The PRO-97 is an excellent analog trunking radio, and you may notice even better performance.

Edit: Here's the link to the thread about your mount. http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94458

Last edited:

btritch

emslt245 said:
I notice your antenna setup goes bnc to so-239 to pl-239 to bnc. Loose the extra adapters for better reception in the car. You're loosing signal going through all that extra hardware. The PRO-97 is an excellent analog trunking radio, and you may notice even better performance.

I've been doing that because I move it around a lot and do it to keep from wearing the BNC on the radio down to a nub, I did that on my last one...However, I asked on here once before how much gain I lost by doing that and I was told NONE..I didn't believe it but it's about the only option I have to keep from wearing the one on the radio down...Any other suggestions I'm open for...

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you do lose *some* signal with the adapters. No, it almost certainly isn't going to be enough to notice, especially in a mobile environment. I'm all in favor of minimizing loss but if a setup like that satisfies a particular need, then I'd do it myself.

I actually did some very non-scientific testing on a variety of connectors yesterday. Had an antenna in the attic that surprisingly gave me a very strong signal on the local 860MHz trunking system. It was a UHF collinear mag-mount that I was using for my "local PD" scanner. Just for grins, since the new scanner has an S-meter and tells me the %quality of the trunking data channel, I started playing with connectors and coax.

The only thing that really made a difference was using a longer piece of unknown coax (I don't know its specs, it's mil-surplus, and I am pretty sure it isn't 50 ohm). I still had the same signal strength and quality even after I used a UHF "tee" connector, fed one side of the tee to the other scanner, and ran another piece of RG-8x off the tee to a SO-239 to BNC adapter on the trunking scanner.

The only thing I might do differently to what you did, is get a smaller / lighter intermediate connection. Go BNC-SMA-BNC, maybe. Perhaps a little less stress on the radio's BNC connector, and it's constant-impedance to boot. (PL-259/SO-239 connectors are not constant impedance, which especially hurts at higher frequencies.)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All the strain on your BNC connector will make your pro97 cry. I have a suggestion

Put a BNC on the end of your coax, but attach part of it (near the end) to the back of the scanner stand to act as a stress relief without the extra adapters.

btritch

The coax already has a BNC on the end, It came that way, However that is my best handheld so I have been carrying it with me along with in the car and I've been doing that to keep from wearing the BNC connector on the radio down to a nub like I did before. That's what the extra adapters are supposed to do. If I do away with them wouldn't that be putting the strain of constantly changing ends on the scanner back on the scanner bnc? Also, I have an old uniden handheld that works but hast he pieces on the scanner wore down to nothing. Is there a way to put it in the car and leave it and fix it so that the coax will stay on?

Grog

Banned
btritch said:
The coax already has a BNC on the end, It came that way, However that is my best handheld so I have been carrying it with me along with in the car and I've been doing that to keep from wearing the BNC connector on the radio down to a nub like I did before. That's what the extra adapters are supposed to do. If I do away with them wouldn't that be putting the strain of constantly changing ends on the scanner back on the scanner bnc?

I've never worn down a BNC connector, they are rather durable IF they are not stressed, which can happen with too much weight on it.

What adapters are you using at this time? Do you leave them on the scanner when you take it out of the truck?

Ok, if (big if) I felt the need to not disconnect the coax directly from the scanner and I wanted to keep an adpter attached to the scanner when I left I might try this.....

Stock coax up the back of the scanner mount (secured to the mount) and coming over the top of the scanner. Then using a BNC-BNC (an extension) to attach the coax to the scanner. It might be less stress and weight. It won't be easy to find, but I'm sure someone makes one.

Remember, whatever works for you if best for you, I'm just not sure that it's easy to wear down a BNC without any abuse.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Adapters

Gotcha. I have worn down the BNC connector on my BC 200 XLT. Some of the other suggestions above are worth trying, though, if only to reduce the weight stress on the connector.

Grog

Banned
btritch said:
All I really need is ONE Female to Male BNC connection but our radio shack doesn't have them...

Like an extension, right? I'll look at a few places online and see what they have. it's likely you could find one that would cost the same with shipping as anything RS charges now.

btritch

Yes, That's right, Like an extension... I have already thought about that...Might even get it cheaper than RS at those rates! I paid almost 5 dollars for one once before in there.. Thanks for looking.

Grog

Banned

btritch

I thought about that but carrying it on scene and other places would make it a little complicated with the rubber duckie antenna...and the reason for the adapter was to keep from wearing the original BNC out on the radio but if I ever leave it in the truck and carry another one with me then I'll definately take that into consideration, THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.