New Forum Suggestions: Police Scanning Discussion and Fire Scanning Discussion

Do you think Police & Fire Discussion Forums should be added to Topic Specific Forums

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I would like to suggest some new forums for the Topic Specific Forums: Police Scanning Discussion and Fire Scanning Discussion.

Most of the questions are asked in the General Scanning Forum for these subjects. Area specific questions are asked under each Regional Radio Discussion Forum.

I thought a non-location specific forum for each of these topics would be a benefit.

What do you think?

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Voting for both Police and Fire.

Once again, I messed up a poll. There is no option to vote for both of them. I am not sure this can be fixed. Admins?

Either allow multiple choices or add two more options, second to last: "Yes, both Police and Fire Discussions are a good idea. Add them both please." "No, neither Police Discussion nor Fire Discussion are necessary."

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
0315 Hours (3:15 AM)

That's what I get for being up at 0315 hours and attempting something like starting a poll. :roll:

But that's when these ideas come to me!

Last edited:

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
Wouldn't the discussions be area-specific ?:confused:
I'm sure most posts would start out " Where I live/work we do . . ."
The best place to get area specific police/fire info is from the residents .

What topics are you seeing in General Scanning that would have global appeal across the country ?

I'm not knocking the idea , but the focus here is supposed to be radios and not Emergency
Services. There must be a gazillion professional forums out there that discuss those occupations and perhaps scanning as an aside.

Just my opinion , no hard feelings.:wink:

D

DaveNF2G

I don't think the majority of users are going to go to all the trouble of posting specific comments into an ever increasing number of narrowly focused forums. Just watch for a while and see how many threads are started in the wrong forums already. Adding more will just make it worse.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Ideas

mciupa said:
I'm not knocking the idea ... Just my opinion , no hard feelings.:wink:
No problem; that is why I threw the idea out there, so we can discuss it. Maybe it is a good idea, maybe not.

Maybe just a PUBLIC SAFETY Discussion Forum is more appropriate.

EMSJUNKY

Like Phil stated, do an emergency services thread.... it could encompas much more than just PD and FD...... put in PD, FD, EMS, SAR, CoastGuard, etc.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Public Safety Forum

I agree with what is being written. A "Public Safety" forum would be best. However, I cannot change the poll data. The only way would to be to delete the thread and start over and I don't want to do that.

For those of you who have not voted, the category for combining both Police and Fire will serve as the "Public Safety" forum, for all public safety/emergency services/public service. Sorry to those of you who voted and selected one of the others. The main point is that you want a new catagory covering this type of communication.

As for something actually happening and there actually being an addition, all I can say is that the site owner (Lindsay/blantonl) and the site administrators will read this thread and poll and take it into consideration.

The best we can do as members is voice our wants, needs, and opinions. How else will they know what we are desiring on our website. Let your voice (writings) be heard.

I think there should be a Maritime (marine/nautical) Forum as well.

Note: I do not think the "Public Safety" Forum should be a place to post about public safety radio codes, things heard on public safety transmissions, stories about a police chase or a fire, etc., The RR Tavern is the propper forum for that. The "Public Safety" Forum should be specifically about discussions regarding monitoring public safety communications, similar to the Military Monitoring Forum, the Railroad/Railfan Monitoring Forum, and the Aircraft Monitoring Forum.

BTW, a "thread" is posted in a "forum." We are talking about a "forum" here. Anyone can start a thread.

Last edited:

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
well, when will these be brought to lindsay's (or anyone else who has the ability to make a new forums' attention?

mciupa

Canadian DB Admin
sjcscanner said:
well, when will these be brought to lindsay's (or anyone else who has the ability to make a new forums' attention?

Exhuming a dead thread is a sure-fire attention getter , but not the type you may wish for. :(

N4JNW

I think we need a trade forum personally... Not that my opinion matters, just thought I'd mention.. :)

monitorman

bwhite said:
We tried for a FMS/GMRS and a Marine forum several months ago.
Haven't seen it yet.
Good luck

What happened to the FMS/GMRS forum?
USCG should be kept in marine forum that is their main mission, not in PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.