New Free Scanner Software available in the Apple Mac App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangoGreg

For anyone who has a Uniden BCD436, BCD536, or SDS100 scanner, I have released a free app in the Mac App Store. It allows you to connect your scanner to your Mac via USB, then the software acts like a remote head on your Mac. You can control radio volume, squelch, temporary avoid, hold channel, and mute. The software captures Freq/TGIDs, Mode, System, Department, and Channel information and displays it in a table. The table contains a hit counter which is used to sort the table data and displays a hit counter in one of the table fields.
The actual name of the software is "Scanner Remote" but there was a typo in the Appstore form and it accidentally was listed as Sanner Remote.

I am working on getting it changed but it isn't easy. The name issue in the App Store doesn't effect the software function or any part of the working app. It is just an error in the listing on the App Store.

The app is completely free at this time but I plan to add more functionality and charge a modest $0.99 cents in the future.
Please give it a try and post a review or comment in the App Store.

The software may also work for the older Home Patrol radios but I haven't tested it. It won't hurt to try. The download is free and the software doesn't write anything to the scanner.

Thanks!

N5XPM

Thanks for the post. Located it, downloaded and will try it out this weekend. Thanks for your efforts !

K7MFC

WRAA720
Very cool! I'm not a Mac user, but I'm all for promoting sanner [sic] :ROFLMAO: software that targets operating systems other than Windows and I hope this gains some traction. (Long time Linux user here).

K4EET

Chaplain
durangoGreg, since the app is for a Mac, do you have any plans to perhaps port it to an Apple iPhone (iOS) using Bluetooth one day? I was looking in the Apple App Store and could not find your app. Is the Mac App Store a different animal? I do not have a Mac. I just have an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. Thanks for your time and assistance Greg!

Cheers! Dave

N7DAN

Sounds good, Looking forward to downloading your app.
I couldn't find it on the AppStore on my iPad, I will look on my MacBook Pro....

durangoGreg

durangoGreg, since the app is for a Mac, do you have any plans to perhaps port it to an Apple iPhone (iOS) using Bluetooth one day? I was looking in the Apple App Store and could not find your app. Is the Mac App Store a different animal? I do not have a Mac. I just have an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max. Thanks for your time and assistance Greg!

Cheers! Dave
K4EET & N7DAN

Yes, right now it is macOS only not IOS. So yeah, it is a different app store than the IOS App store for iPad and iPhone. I might port it to iPad or iPhone but Uniden already has their own iOS Siren app which lets you listen and control your scanner so I am not sure it would be needed as much for those devices.

vpasq

Thanks so much for your efforts! Been waiting a long time for the opportunity to use my Mac with my SDS100. It works fine for me and I definitely have no problem paying in the future. One request, in System it displays the “Site” not the System Name. As a future update, could you somehow add the display of the System Name, it would really be great! Thanks

durangoGreg

Not sure what you mean by site vs System, vpasq.

I am displaying the System identifier as supplied by Uniden. If you press the System Hold button on your radio this is the field that I am displaying. Is there some alternate field that you are wanting displayed? I am getting the System, Department, Channel, and Freq/TGID fields on my SDS100 and BCD536. I don't even have a site field available unless it is on an alternate display setting that I am not aware of.

vpasq

On my screen for System it shows “Site 10” (at Yellow arrow in pic) but on my Scanner screen System is “Chesapeake P25“ or “Chesapeake”. (At Red Arrow in pic) In Sentinel it is also the same, so I was asking if it would be possible to show the System name, not the origin of the frequencies which in my case is Site 10.
1DECEBEA-911F-4D3E-B4F8-718686234ACD.jpeg

durangoGreg

On my screen for System it shows “Site 10” (at Yellow arrow in pic) but on my Scanner screen System is “Chesapeake P25“ or “Chesapeake”. (At Red Arrow in pic) In Sentinel it is also the same, so I was asking if it would be possible to show the System name, not the origin of the frequencies which in my case is Site 10.
View attachment 86552
Ok, thanks but I am still unclear. So are you saying that on the Mac you are not seeing "Chesapeake" or "Chesapeake P25" because that is the System identifier or at least that is where the hold is placed if you push the System button. That is also what should be displayed on the Mac. If you are seeing "Site 10" displayed on your Mac then there is something strange going on.

What Version of firmware is on your SDS100? I wonder if they made a change in how they are outputting the fields from the radio in the recent firmware update. I haven't installed the latest version yet.

Thanks.

durangoGreg

If I can get get some of the people who downloaded the software to give me a review on the Mac App Store it would be great. Thanks!

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Any chance this will work with the 200, possibly with Ethernet in the future?

vpasq

Once again, thanks for working on this issue. Maybe this will help. This is what I see on the Mac “Site 10” instead of ”Chesapeake”. I am using the latest firmware version on the SDS100 - 1.10.00. Also, when I hit the “hold” button in the software, it holds on channel. (It uses the third soft button for hold instead of the first one on the scanner which is for system where “Chesapeake” is displayed.
16F2DAC7-BAE9-468F-9137-9D3ED608E250.jpeg

durangoGreg

Ok thanks for the pictures that helped a lot.

Yes, my hold button holds on the channel field so that is correct operation.

However, It should not be displaying site 10 in the system field. There might have been a change with the new firmware. I will have to check this out. Thanks. If it is fixable and Uniden has just changed the format somehow, I will fix this for you.

Yes, I would think the software should work with the SDS200 as it is using the same serial communications protocol.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Nice, works great! A couple of changes to consider:

1. Make the font size larger on the Department and Channel displays.
2. In the future, colors would be excellent (replicating the colors on the display if possible).
3. Radio ID and ID Alias display (in addition to TGID and TG alias) would be very helpful.
4. As noted above, it's showing the Site name instead of the System name. Showing both would be great.

Excellent work so far, looking forward to what's coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.