New Fulton county P25 DTRS ribbon cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepper99

Hmm, did he say a $25 mil contract? I wonder how much will be encrypted to keep the bad guys etc, etc.....
I take it City of Atlanta is not part of the upgrade, correct?

Z

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand this is just for the County.

Although I agree they need a good upgrade, I feel there were more important things the money could be spent on. Fulton County Police does not have dash cams. I kinda thought this day in age every agency had these equipped in the patrol cars. They also don't have computers in their car. I noticed in my county when laptops were installed and CAD was initiated, half the radio traffic disappeared. Officers receive a call, respond to the call, do status updates, and finish the call all via laptop in the car. It also gives them directions via GPS and the dispatcher puts things in the notes they need to know prior to arriving on scene. As a detective for the department told me, "our cars are empty" .

I hope it works out well for them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
From what I understand this is just for the County.

Correct, this is an upgrade for Fulton county, the city of Atlanta migrated from Smartnet II back in 2009 and shut down their analog system then.

Although I agree they need a good upgrade, I feel there were more important things the money could be spent on. Fulton County Police does not have dash cams. I kinda thought this day in age every agency had these equipped in the patrol cars. They also don't have computers in their car.

You do realize their current Smartnet II network first went online in early 1990? You read right, 1990. The system core is about 90 percent ORIGINAL hardware. Think CEBs, Ambassador audio switches, channel modems, that stuff. All circuit switched hardware, MSF5000 era. Hardware that is WELL passed the PHASED OUT by the manufacturer dates by YEARS and WELL PASSED the "EOL" date. (IIRC Motorola stopped supporting MTC3600 controllers in 2009).

That is over 25 years ago, a quarter century. The system, while robust and has stood the test of time, is now unstable. The rubidium master clock drifts all the time causing simulcast failures. Coverage of the system was designed for 1990 population in Fulton county. It's 2014, have you driven around in North Fulton? I mean, GA400 was JUST BEING BUILT OUT when this system went online! Now they've removed the tolls!

This is ONE case where there is NO QUESTION an upgrade/replacement was long overdue. This is not like the powers at be in my county who love to be "on the cutting edge" and waste money on phase 2 when we barely have a 6 year old **FULLY SUPPORTED** system core (at least until 2019). This is a county who have waited well beyond anyone else, and done prudently in putting out an RFP, and knock the price down as far as possible, they are using existing XTS/XTL subscriber radios and getting badly needed new consoles (Centracom III's still in use!) and a new fire station alerting system.

Sure, they need all those things you mentioned. But having reliable communications in a large area for all the many agencies who rely on the current system is just as important. There is simply NO OTHER FEASIBLE OPTION at this point. It is a life safety issue at this point.

Have you monitored the radio system lately? It is on it's last leg. Having new police cars and MDT's are nice, but how do you dispatch them if there are no working radios or consoles? :D

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Hmm, did he say a $25 mil contract? I wonder how much will be encrypted to keep the bad guys etc, etc.....
I take it City of Atlanta is not part of the upgrade, correct?
Z

The contract is available for viewing on Fulton county purchasing website.

As far as encryption, an inside source has told me that ADP encryption is being ordered with the i-Button refreshes for the subscriber radios and will be used on many public safety talkgroups.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Still haven't figured out how it's going to make 911 FASTER. Same slow call takers, same slow dispatchers, same slow response time.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Still haven't figured out how it's going to make 911 FASTER. Same slow call takers, same slow dispatchers, same slow response time.

Well hey, FWIW, we are on the "cutting edge" in my county, first with the race to waste, and first with phase 1 and phase 2, and yet somehow when a fatality house fire hit my hood in 2010 in the middle of a weekday, several callers reported the 911 lines ringing for 6 minutes straight. I confirmed this with the first person on scene, he showed me his Droid which showed a 15m 22sec call to 911.

E4 and T5 got here within 8 minutes but it took 8 minutes for the full call to get toned out. 8 minutes on a working structure fire with entrapment. Unacceptable.

But hey, it's all about priorities, when you buy radios and toys instead of hiring calltakers and dispatchers, and the additional staff to actually take those calls, that is what you get.

Go Braves! You see where our leader's priorities are. "We lead...others follow"

better watch out who you're following.

In Fulton's case, they really don't have a choice. The 192C network is in it's last days.

Status
Not open for further replies.