• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New G4/5 7/800 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JOD

Premium Subscriber
Well that's interesting. The link in post #1 above no longer says "Extra Gain" - but my receipt does.....
That's what I'm saying. If an antenna has gain, it would say what that gain is. 3dbd or dbi etc... I've never seen one say " Extra gain" " Really, Really lots of Gain"

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I'm posting another photo of the new antenna highlighting a design change that now more resembles the Motorola antennas. Interesting.

InkedExtra Gain_LI.jpg

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
It's hard to see that being any better than the older stock antenna. You can only cram so much magic in a space the size of your pinky finger tip.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It's hard to see that being any better than the older stock antenna. You can only cram so much magic in a space the size of your pinky finger tip..
You would think so. Maybe the "extra gain" is a marketing ploy. But I hardly think Unication would resort to this just to sell a few more $15 antennas.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
That FB group is run by a group of Unication dealers. They will delete any posts in reference to sales not their own, but I wouldn't think they would delete a Unication post. I was referencing the antenna in this post. I just purchased it directly from Unication if they want to act that way. I left the group anyway, some of them are jerks.
Turns out it had nothing to do with this particular group. My post apparently went against Facebook's community standards on spam. I have no clue why!

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Ordered mine from Ray's and already been shipped. He has a drop down on his page listing the new and older model. Will test later this week.

N6ML

I don't think the on-board diagnostics allow a DB measurement below 100, unfortunately.

You mean above -100, of course ;) The V1.20 (beta) firmware seems to go down to -90.

For antenna comparison purposes, you still need a fairly weak signal....

x9TOM27

Premium Subscriber
From Ray's site:

1- Unication G4 and G5 Replacement Antenna.

The Standard original antenna has a PURPLE band.

The upgrade antenna with the BLUE band is upgraded approx 3 db gain for better reception on the 700-800 Mhz systems in fringe areas.

Select choice. Price is for 1 antenna.
No Returns on this item

radio3353

I just ordered one. Philly's system is close to fringe for me so that will be a good test case for the extra gain. I will report back with my results next week.

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
I ordered and received one about two weeks ago for my G5. Have not noticed any appreciable difference in reception. I noticed that it did not sit flush when attached and that didn't make me too happy. It has a very slight gap.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I ordered and received one about two weeks ago for my G5. Have not noticed any appreciable difference in reception. I noticed that it did not sit flush when attached and that didn't make me too happy. It has a very slight gap.
Swell. :(

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
A few of us will be able to verify that observation. Mine is due for delivery on Saturday.

I could probably crank it down but don't want to damage anything.

Attachments

• G5old.jpeg
    G5old.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 126
  • G5new.jpeg
    G5new.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.