• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New G4 Audio Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc62

Received new G4 on 25 August. It came with Firmware Version 1.3. Programmed it. Worked great until today. Today the audio stopped. The display shows the unit receiving, but no audio. Not my first Unication. I also have a G5 (running 1.2). Waiting to hear back from Unication now.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You didn't accidentally activate "Push to Listen" in tab 6 "Zone and Channel Setting" by any chance? Other than that, you should contact your dealer.

doc62

No I didn't. It was working fine since Tuesday. I was in the station for a call this afternoon and noticed that the in-station G4 was talking, but the my G4 wasn't. It had been working when responding to the station.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
No I didn't. It was working fine since Tuesday. I was in the station for a call this afternoon and noticed that the in-station G4 was talking, but the my G4 wasn't. It had been working when responding to the station.
Have you tried removing the battery?

doc62

Multiple times hoping it was that simple. Even pulled it for over 10 minutes, but no joy.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
If you contacted Unication, they will forward you to your dealer. Dealers are responsible for opening up tickets for repairs.

doc62

I've already been working with Ray on this. He had me re-flash it, but that didn't help. Filled out the form. Just waiting to hear back from Unication.

N6ML

You've probably cover these already, but a couple of other thoughts ....

Is there a speaker icon, without an 'x', on the display, when it's receiving?

Can you play back recorded messages?

Do you have a BlueTooth device that you can try to use instead of the internal speaker? (just to prove that it's really an audio output issue)

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Off duty? Is the poerso icon yellow at the top of the screen?

picscan

Premium Subscriber
If you press the yellow dot button and scroll down to the bottom what does it say?

doc62

The G4 was new, but I've had a G5 for sometime. The main difference between the two is the VHF parts and of course the G5 is still at 1.2. The icon did show yellow (On Duty). I don't have the unit anymore. Ray had me send it back to him. I tell you he is second to none when it comes to support. I'm just wondering if this was a case of infantile failure. Not uncommon with complicated electronics. The only issues I ever had with the G5 was that sometimes when you turn it on, it doesn't really turn on and you have to turn it back off and on again. Have been afraid to update it to 1.3 until they get the 2-tone alerting figured out for the VHF. Don't want to miss any calls for my station.

CFP387

I had this same problem with a G5 a few days ago after flashing it with the latest firmware v1.4.

I pulled the battery to reset it, then wiped the memory from the pager. I re flashed it and it's working fine again.

mpreece

I've reverted my VHF G5 to v1.2 twice due to various issues. I am now on my third install attempt for v1.3. Disappearing audio is an issue, although making changes in my expectations and resulting programming changes seems to have the unit performing to 90% of the v1.2 2-tone functionality.

Back to the topic, I have had several occasions where I will look down and the unit appears to be receiving but no audio output. No visual indication of the speaker icon being x'd out. This may account for some of the "missed page" issues. I momentarily change the knob position and then return and audio is back.

I have not identified a sequence of events that causes this "silencing" of the audio but I have a theory that it may be related to the verified problem of timers ceasing to function when the screen display times out. I am hoping that when a fix for the timer issue is identified that it may also solve some of the other issues.

doc62

So I sent the unit back to Ray. Initially it worked (figures), but it did finally act up and he was able to send a diagnostic log to Unication. A replacement is now on the way. Like I said Ray is great to work with.

doc62

Well the replacement G4 arrived Wednesday from Unication. Got it programmed and so far so good. I tell you Ray provided excellent support and follow-up with this issue. He is definitely a good person to work with. Also kudo's to Unication for standing behind their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.