• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New G5 owner ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I thought I had the PPS software figured out, got my radio today, programmed in 7 sites on one P25 system. I have all the control channels for all 7 sites entered, Knob 1 , zone 1 . Thats it, thought I would start easy. The programming took fine in the radio-----I just keep getting "out of range message". I know Its on my end .I am sure it's some setting, but I have reloaded and edited a dozen times now. Any ideas? Thanks Mike

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Sounds like the RFSS or site is wrong if you are within range. Try FFF wildcard and see if it locks on. If it does it will display the correct one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
I believe out of range means it's not picking up the control channel - make sure the RFSS and all control channels are correct. Are you using the stock antenna? Are you within range of the system?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a link to the RRDB entry for the system you are trying to monitor and which site? We might be able to better help you.
It sounds like you are trying to put all 7 in one system. I would start simple and pick a known good site (e.g. The one closest to you) and just start with that set of control channels.

Haley

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will just put in the nearest site. I do have both primary and alternate channels entered. Everything I entered is from the database and I have used it many times. The scanners are picking everything up fine. So I know it's on my end. The tower is so close I can see it from my window, maybe a mile away. When I get a chance tonight I will try the suggestions, and thanks ! Mike

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Make sure to watch the hex vs decimal if the site numbers go that high. If I recall, the Unication PPS expects hex.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Make sure to watch the hex vs decimal if the site numbers go that high. If I recall, the Unication PPS expects hex.

In the most current version of PPS you can select either Dec or Hex....

Cc6F7F4.jpg

Marshall KE4ZNR

Haley

I am pretty sure I have everything set correctly. I have watched several videos on how to do it. Even entered all freq. for the site. Is their ANY thing I could be missing------I have no signal, and I am not even a mile from the tower. I have been letting the scanner run (396xt) next to it as a test (and doing fine). I have no signal bars at all. I know it's a setting, any idea's?? I am about to go nuts------it's not that hard, I am just missing something. Mike

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I am pretty sure I have everything set correctly. I have watched several videos on how to do it. Even entered all freq. for the site. Is their ANY thing I could be missing------I have no signal, and I am not even a mile from the tower. I have been letting the scanner run (396xt) next to it as a test (and doing fine). I have no signal bars at all. I know it's a setting, any idea's?? I am about to go nuts------it's not that hard, I am just missing something. Mike

I suspect you have an issue with your HEX versus DEC entries for the system/site. I believe for System ID and WACN, the entries on the RR page are already in HEX, so you would enter those as-is.

For the RFSS ID and SITE ID, the values in the () on the RR page are the HEX values, so you would enter those.

If that still doesn't work, then I would try the suggestion of using the wildcards. Enter in the one known control channel freq for the tower closest to you and use the following:

WACN ID = FFFFF
System ID = FFF
RFSS ID = FF
Site ID = FF

Haley

Ok, first want to think everyone with the help and suggestions, I really do appreciate it!

Scan18, I won't have a chance to check until tonight----but I'm pretty sure your right. WACN and system ID, are HEX and entered as is. I'm pretty sure I have the decimal RSSI and site numbers entered. So I will re enter those tonight and post my results. If that's it I feel like an idiot! Thanks for the suggestion, Mike

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Using the software, program Free Scan to include your control channel frequencies . Then try scanning and see if you pick up any signals.

Is it possible that your antenna or radio could be defective?

Haley

I want to thank everyone----problem is solved! Its was my stupidity, site was set to decimal, not hex. Everything else was correct. I do have a couple of other questions though.

1. When setting P25 VHF conventional , mostly Federal, do you guys just put all freq. in the same zone? I am talking just single freqs. , for example . NPS, FWS, USFS and BLM type freq.

2. And this may seem dumb, but does anyone have the 7 NOAA freq. programmed in? Again, just a separate zone, and knob position? Thanks again! Mike

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
The FF always does the trick. I made that same mistake once.

I put the Normal scan as the first channel as the first knob position and then each individual freq as 2-8. This way I can listen to all and then just turn the knob to park on a channel without have to switch zones. Obviously your limited to 7 channels but it works for me because I barely use it for conventional monitoring.

As far as NOAA I don't but to each his own !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haley

Signal-zero, thanks for the suggestion, that's pretty much what I might do. It would be for traveling , going to be around the Everglades , so I thought I would put a few of the above agencies in just to see how the radio does. I haven't really checked yet does the G5 auto detect NAC codes when doing something like a spectrum search? Or does anyone "tack" on a band search with any of their zones?

As for NOAA, I'm kind of weird that way----I DX stations. Mike

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I have had ZERO luck entering the F's in for the Site ID. I always get "Out of range" until I can actually obtain the correct site ID.

I have a G4, am thinking of getting a G5 for the heck of it, I may offer my G4 up for sale, if anyone is interested shoot me an offer, almost brand new condition, had it maybe 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.