• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New GMRS Band Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

russbrill

Narrow banding would allow some higher power on some frequencies and external antennas on the FRS Channels... Anyone else have anything to add???

Proposed 2022 FRS/GMRS Channel Table
ChannelFrequencyFRS PowerFRS BandwidthGMRS PowerGMRS BandwidthNotes/Usage
01462.56252 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
02462.58752 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
03462.61252 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
04462.63752 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
05462.66252 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
06462.68752 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
07462.71252 W12.5 kHz25 W12.5 kHz(1)
08467.56252 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
09467.58752 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
10467.61252 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
11467.63752 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
12467.66252 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
13467.68752 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
14467.71252 W12.5 kHz5 W12.5 kHz(1) (4)
15462.55002 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
16462.57502 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
17462.60002 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
18462.62502 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
19462.65002 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
20462.67502 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
21462.70002 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
22462.72502 W12.5 kHz50 W12.5 kHz(1) (2)
467.550050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.575050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.600050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.625050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.650050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.675050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.700050 W12.5 kHz(3)
467.725050 W12.5 kHz(3)

Notes
(1)
Shared FRS and GMRS simplex.
(2) GMRS repeater output.
(3) GMRS repeater input only.
For suggested and unofficial channel usages see the Family Radio Service and General Mobile Radio Service wiki articles.
(4) External Antennas permitted – GMRS Users Only.

russbrill

Who's chart is this? Where did it come from? Are you proposing all GMRS equipment going narrow band 2.5KHz deviation? If so only a fraction of existing equipment can do that, who is going to pay for replacement narrow band repeaters and radios?

I will answer each one of your questions... Who's chart is this? Mine.. Where did it come from? Me (custom job)… Are you proposing all GMRS equipment going narrow band 2.5KHz deviation? Yes... If so only a fraction of existing equipment can do that, who is going to pay for replacement narrow band repeaters and radios? It's my understanding that most of the consumer grade equipment is already Narrow Band, as far as the rest of the users are concerned, if they want to continue using GMRS they'll invest in compliant equipment.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
It's just an idea, not Satan's Bible... Sheeeesh...

Of course not. Your continuous barrage of plans for a new CB service and modifying existing services just kinda left a really bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully this isn't the first in another series of daily proposals.

Personally, I don't think anything needs to change with GMRS aside from adding digital. The no external antenna thing never made sense to me and still doesn't, so that can change too. But aside from that, not really anything I would change. The service fits the bill for a short-range family radio service.

russbrill

Of course not. Your continuous barrage of plans for a new CB service and modifying existing services just kinda left a really bad taste in my mouth. Hopefully this isn't the first in another series of daily proposals.

Personally, I don't think anything needs to change with GMRS aside from adding digital. The no external antenna thing never made sense to me and still doesn't, so that can change too. But aside from that, not really anything I would change. The service fits the bill for a short-range family radio service.

I had thought about digital for the repeaters, but what standard?? DMR???

prcguy

Not that I don't have a UHF Quantar available with narrow band, its just that I would not be willing to replace all my repeaters and neither would most owners. I would be willing to bet just a tiny fraction of repeaters out there are not narrow band compliant. There are tons of Motorola Micors and GE Master IIs and so on in service that work just fine. A new repeater is an expensive journey for most people and I for one would oppose any proposition for narrow banding GMRS.

I don't see the need to narrow band to gain more channels, its a grossly underused service and I see no need to add more channels. I live in a very busy radio area and I can scan GMRS and FRS all day and hear a couple of repeaters and a few kids playing on the radio but that's it. GMRS is not crowded because its hardly used.

I will answer each one of your questions... Who's chart is this? Mine.. Where did it come from? Me (custom job)… Are you proposing all GMRS equipment going narrow band 2.5KHz deviation? Yes... If so only a fraction of existing equipment can do that, who is going to pay for replacement narrow band repeaters and radios? It's my understanding that most of the consumer grade equipment is already Narrow Band, as far as the rest of the users are concerned, if they want to continue using GMRS they'll invest in compliant equipment.

russbrill

Not that I don't have a UHF Quantar available with narrow band, its just that I would not be willing to replace all my repeaters and neither would most owners. I would be willing to bet just a tiny fraction of repeaters out there are not narrow band compliant. There are tons of Motorola Micors and GE Master IIs and so on in service that work just fine. A new repeater is an expensive journey for most people and I for one would oppose any proposition for narrow banding GMRS.

I don't see the need to narrow band to gain more channels, its a grossly underused service and I see no need to add more channels. I live in a very busy radio area and I can scan GMRS and FRS all day and hear a couple of repeaters and a few kids playing on the radio but that's it. GMRS is not crowded because its hardly used.

So if you had to take your repeaters off the air because they're non-compliant, how many users would be impacted?

prcguy

How bout this, Radio Reference is upgrading and you can only use an Apple device to access it in the future. They have decided the minimum you will be able to use is a Mac Pro. Oh, you don't want to drop $5k on up for a new computer to play on RR? Oh, you are impacted? Too bad.

From my perspective, that is what I'm hearing from you. I don't like it and if such a proposal ever made it to the FCC for comments, a lot of people would come out of the woodwork to shoot it down. In flames.

So if you had to take your repeaters off the air because they're non-compliant, how many users would be impacted?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I had thought about digital for the repeaters, but what standard?? DMR???

Sure, or NXDN, or whatever. I have used dPMR overseas and it is a vastly more enjoyable service because of the use of digital.

As @prcguy said, GMRS is vastly underutilized as it is. There is absolutely NO reason to add more channels. Prcguy and I are both in Socal. I can go down to LA, San Diego, whatever major city, and hardly hear anything all day. Las Vegas is the busiest city I've heard as far as GMRS goes, and that's largely because of the businesses and taxicab services using it. It's generally not families and individual users with handhelds or such.

The only other place (and extra channels aren't going to matter...it's simply a matter of band saturation) that comes anywhere close to full utilization is onboard cruise ships, and extra channels or power will make absolutely no difference at all.

russbrill

How bout this, Radio Reference is upgrading and you can only use an Apple device to access it in the future. They have decided the minimum you will be able to use is a Mac Pro. Oh, you don't want to drop $5k on a new computer to play on RR? Oh, you are impacted? Too bad.

From my perspective, that is what I'm hearing from you. I don't like it and if such a proposal ever made it to the FCC for comments, a lot of people would come out of the woodwork to shoot it down. In flames.

And what would your argument be to continue under utilizing a portion of the RF Spectrum???

Status
Not open for further replies.