• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New GMRS License $90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxco

Last time, it was $85... Looks like the government is doing its' part to encourage more illegal use.

AGENCY TRACKING ID: XXXXXXXXXX
AUTHORIZATION NUMBER : XXXXXX
AMOUNT PAID : $90.00

Last edited:

quarterwave

I renewed mine about a month early to avoid paying $5 more...timing worked out for me.

It's sort of like doubling and tripling cigarette taxes...it doesn't really fix the root problem.

Jaxco

When did it go up? I started to renew on 7/24 and it was $85 at that point but I waited due to my vacation a couple of weeks later.

reconrider8

Yea I was going to apply for mine but dern I don't have 90 to pay for it but I don't use mine but every so often anyway looks like I want apply right now

Jaxco

I understand that, just stick to the frs channels and you'll be fine. I have been hoping they would drop license requirements since 2010...

WQPW689

Wow. Any reasoning on their part? I've been licensed there a dozen or so years and found it an excellent tool for a family owned business. I have to agree with the above poster that it seems the only result of this is going to be less and less legal use of the service.

quarterwave

I think I got mine renewed in April or May, seems like it was going up in June...not sure if the license or the processing went up. I forget.

I don't want them to drop the licensing for GMRS, I would like to see it be more like $25, and a little more consequence if you don't license, but I realize that is asking alot.

Jaxco

They are at least processing quickly, I put in the request at 10:37AM EST on 9/2 and at 2AM EST on 9/4 (Today) the updated license was posted.

The fee sucks and IS unreasonable - but it is the law... Until we start writing our Congressmen for some relief from this robbery/legalized extortion.

Dantian

The fee sucks and IS unreasonable - but it is the law... Until we start writing our Congressmen for some relief from this robbery/legalized extortion.

The FCC said in late August that they would not reduce the GMRS fees, for some dubious reasons. But that is not the end of the matter.

One of the reasons was essentially that they had no "record" on it, that is, no collection of opinions about it. That is not so. But KAA 8142 (a member of this forum) is working the issue and when the call out comes -- to write FCC and your representatives -- I hope you will answer.

com501

Why is the fee unreasonable?

Ever paid for a commercial license plus coordination?

How about microwave?

How much did your car cost last year?

Unreasonable? Really? You want to use bandwidth that is better than CB, expect to pay for it.

Dantian

Why is the fee unreasonable?

That is dealt with in much detail in another thread here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/294061-latest-fcc-fiasco-reducing-license-cost.html

Not to mention the fact that the U.S. government's own auditors found that the FCC is collecting millions of dollars in fees from licensees that are not justified. At the time of the audit $66 million was in the FCC slush fund:

U.S. GAO - Federal Communications Commission: Regulatory Fee Process Needs to Be Updated

As to your other arguments, there is no formal frequency coordination or coordinator in GMRS, so your claim simply does not apply. There was a time when the FCC gave each GMRS license application a technical/legal review, but that time is long gone -- except that they still charge for it.

As to paying for bandwidth -- the public owns the spectrum. Even the multibillion-dollar "spectrum auctions" are not actually auctions of spectrum, they are auctions of licenses. The Communications Act forbids private ownership of spectrum.

In short, the FCC's fees need to be related directly to the FCC's costs in processing the GMRS license application and administering the service, especially enforcement. But they are not so related.

How much did your car cost last year?

I don't have a clue what the cost of a GMRS license has to do with the cost of a car.

Jaxco

Completely unreasonable to pay $90 for 5 years use of .175 or just over 1/6 of 1Mhz of frequency, on 8 specific channels, while sharing the frequency spectrum with a free service. Yes, I call it completely unreasonable and that will fully encourage illegal use - which I deplore.

This is another clearcut case of over-regulation and over-taxation - call it a fee, tax or whatever, the check goes the same place.

If the regulation on accepted radio types / power levels were simpler, more open, then the $90 would move closer to a demonstrable value and illegal use would decline.

When you pay for commercial licenses, you do not have to share your frequency with thousands upon thousands of other users - both legal and illegal. And how well I DO KNOW that all businesses big and small get soaked by a government that loves to bleed them dry.

The cost of my car? That's both a funny and hopelessly ridiculous comparison. Because I choose to pay for a nice car, I should not mind getting robbed by my government?

com501

I expect that soon you will be paying for every email through a fee passed along from the Government to your ISP, so the cost of a small portion of spectrum literally disappears in comparison. Its the cost of doing business. You want to exist in this world, pay the piper or go pirate, its your choice. Gripiing about what the Government chooses to charge for services isn't going to change anything except your blood pressure until we elect an entirely different set of characters in Washington.

Do something about something you actually have influence over. This is akin to almost every other thread in this place. Gripes about encryption, secret frequencies, etc. Just deal with it, pay the fee and be done with it. In comparison, a ham license is a bargain. They should DOUBLE the fee for those.

Jaxco

"Just pay it" You must work for some government entity or are too young to understand that the problem is that they take and spend far too much. No, it is MY money and as long as I am required to pay it to be legal, I will shout my complaints and disdain from the rooftops, as is my right.

It's not 'their' money, it is mine - government produces nothing, they exist only as a parasitic entity.

canav844

My Ham license is about $10-15 every decade and actually gets regular use.

Gmrs has deteriorated CB levels around here, but without any utility, which I can at least still get out of the 11m band on the highway. It's been a downhill slide since mixed bubble packs came out but a high enough % still send in the check to use low power simplex while almost no consumer market exists for part 95 repeaters, mobiles or repeater capable ht. Largely due to certification costs blocking out same quality spec part 90 or 97 compliant radios

Between cell phones vastly expanding rural coverage in the last 10 years and other available services, and the ability to go to my old true frs (Not bubble pack mixed radios, that need the license) radios, or CB when the others are not available for network or lack of license isssues; I've decided to dump gmrs altogether, I'm up for renewal in November haven't been on the air using gmrs in 4 years got a letter from the FCC (Labeled like it was a summo s to federal court) a few weeks ago and can't figure out how it wouldn't just be money down the drain.

I'm out. I hope others join in letting the gmrs coffers dry up, the band is under enforced and overcharged. The last few rule making changes relating to gmrs, FCC response was a middle finger to band users, keeping the status woe.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
When you pay for commercial licenses, you do not have to share your frequency with thousands upon thousands of other users - both legal and illegal.

You couldn't be more wrong. The only difference between a commercial license and lets say a ham radio or GMRS license are the frequencies you're allowed to use, modulation and type of activity allowed, and the admin price. It doesn't matter what type of license you have, no single person owns a frequency. A license only gives a person authorization to use said frequencies.

Now, with that being said, go sit in a shopping center parking lot and search 150-174 MHz and 450-470 MHz on a scanner. There are frequencies between 151-152 MHz, 154-155 MHz and 467-468 MHz that are utilized by low power transmitters. Dozens of them can be found, sometimes on a single frequency, in one parking lot. They're not all low power either, many businesses (particularly grandfathered systems) are still on MURS frequencies using 25-Watts or more. Then there are the half dozen or so itinerant frequencies, have you ever done a FCC license search on an itinerant business frequency? Those licenses aren't the only users, at any given moment there are dozens of unlicensed users transmitting on a commercial frequency. I can sit here in my apartment, tune to 464.825 on my HT with the stock antenna, and hear no less than (4) different businesses and Im not even near a shopping center. When I go over to Macaroni Grill, I can tune to 467.900 MHz and hear at least (6) different businesses.

This is one of the reasons the FCC wanted to narrowband. The spectrum (much like California jail cells) are severely over crowded and need more space. Even after narrowbanding, there are still parts of the country where spectrum managers cant issue VHF licenses because there isn't any room.

rapidcharger

$1.50 per month
considering most people don't use $1.50's worth of their GMRS license privileges each month, I'd say for most people it's a fricken rip off.
Of course if you use GMRS as much as I use the ham bands, it sort of sounds like a bargain then.

com501

"Just pay it" You must work for some government entity or are too young to understand that the problem is that they take and spend far too much. No, it is MY money and as long as I am required to pay it to be legal, I will shout my complaints and disdain from the rooftops, as is my right.

It's not 'their' money, it is mine - government produces nothing, they exist only as a parasitic entity.

Well, sorry to burst your bubble their newcomer, I own several businesses, and I contract for the Federal Government, and have as yet not felt the need to draw my Social Security, even though I am eligible.

The Federal Government does spend far too much, which is just as much your fault as it is mine, unless of course you don't vote, then it is TWICE as much your fault.

Quit tilting at windmills which make little to no difference in day to day life and worry about much larger issues which will actually kill you. Fix those first.

Jaxco

The FCC usually issues a grant for business licensees and assigns frequencies, don't they? I have sat in parking lots during times that I had a protracted wait ahead of me and scanned around, and yes, in some areas it is very active. Unlicensed use does happen and is illegal I am 100% against illegal use but still, when the FCC gives/leases you a frequency grant, you have actionable rights to that area of frequency. I even heard 2 Mexicans, obviously locally, chattering for HOURS drowning out our Waterworks department's UHF channel (453.5625) hell they were even using the same tone so they could hit their repeater.

We still have plenty of LEO/EMS/FIRE activity simulcasting on trunked 700/800/900 systems plus HF/VHF/UHF frequencies. As a HAM also, I'd like to see at least a portion of that segment returned to Amateur use, perhaps even a buyback of UPS's 1.25 meter spectrum they bought.

GMRS is a very, very narrow band. Expand it? Not necessarily but don't charge such an unreasonable fee that compliance with the law becomes far too unlikely. I believe in the rule of law but I also believe in value and common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.