• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New GMRS License $90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxco

Well, sorry to burst your bubble their newcomer, I own several businesses, and I contract for the Federal Government, and have as yet not felt the need to draw my Social Security, even though I am eligible.

The Federal Government does spend far too much, which is just as much your fault as it is mine, unless of course you don't vote, then it is TWICE as much your fault.

Quit tilting at windmills which make little to no difference in day to day life and worry about much larger issues which will actually kill you. Fix those first.

I am also over 50 and I have voted and volunteered at the polls since my FIRST eligible primary. I too have owned businesses, however I never needed radio communication. I was in CB radio when it still required a license. I believe in obeying laws, even when I disagree with them.

I work and support candidates who see things as I do and Rapidcharger, the fee just went up to $90.

Jaxco

Not exactly. The applicant must hire a private firm to conduct frequency coordination and pick out frequencies for the applicant. The FCC doesn't do that.

I didn't realize that frequency coordinators did that for commercial spectrum like the amateur spectrum. Thanks for the info. Do the commercial users have any recourse if someone uses their frequency routinely?

rapidcharger

I didn't realize that frequency coordinators did that for commercial spectrum like the amateur spectrum.)))

If you're referring to repeater coordination, the main difference is in the ham band. And it's probably more difficult considering there's less spectrum and the users of it are shooting for optimum coverage.

((( Thanks for the info.)))
You're welcome :)

((( Do the commercial users have any recourse if someone uses their frequency routinely?
If you're talking about unauthorized use or malicious interference, they can complain to the FCC. If it's another licensed user that just happens to be on the same frequency or some other type of interference, then they can change frequencies if they want to get with their coordinator about that.

KF5YDR

I expect that soon you will be paying for every email through a fee passed along from the Government to your ISP, so the cost of a small portion of spectrum literally disappears in comparison.

Your supporting argument is that it's going to get worse, so nothing that happens now is bad? By that logic, it would be perfectly reasonable for me to punch you in the face, because you're going to die anyway. Ridiculous.

The GMRS license fee is unreasonable because it provides no service—you have no claim to the use of any frequency or protection from interference by licensed users, the same level of service you get from unlicensed use, and there are no conditions on getting the license. No verification of any kind of compliance, no examination of knowledge or an understanding of the duties attached.

The reality is that GMRS is a yard with a gate that's never closed. The FCC should stop charging people for the privilege of bragging on RR that they went through the gate the right way, when they do nothing to stop people walking right through.

Enforce it, or make it free.

Dantian

you have no claim to the use of any frequency

You do waive any claim to the use of any frequency as against the regulatory power of the United States, but this same waiver is required of all FCC licensees. You don't have exclusive access to the spectrum.

Exclusive licenses are auctioned, and that has not happened in GMRS. Yet. Note that just the other day, a prominent FCC Commissioner publicly stated that the FCC should look to the 400 MHz spectrum to expand "mobile broadband". Those type of licenses are auctioned.

or protection from interference by licensed users

You have legal protection. If licensed users aren't following the rules, which include the requirement to share the spectrum, the FCC can admonish, fine, condition their license or revoke it.

the same level of service you get from unlicensed use

No, unlicensed users are required to accept any interference from licensed operations.

No verification of any kind of compliance

What would be a verification of compliance?

KF5YDR

Showing that you aren't using Part 97 gear, for one.

I'm not talking about how the law's written, I'm talking about the actual state of affairs caused by lax enforcement and the sale of hybrid bubblepacks with no clear indication that you need a license, or much aid in finding out how to get one.

Enforce it or rescind it, but either way do something, a cknsistent thing, about it.

Elfnetdesigns

Why is the fee unreasonable?

Ever paid for a commercial license plus coordination?

How about microwave?

How much did your car cost last year?

Unreasonable? Really? You want to use bandwidth that is better than CB, expect to pay for it.

No kidding... I have paid for all 16 of my commercial licenses and 6 microwave licenses... 90$ for GMRS is dollar store cheap in comparison.

The GMRS has 22 allocated frequencies now where 14 are FRS shared and 12.5KHz wide? Help me guys its been ages since i looked into GMRS rules and such.
I know that Only one GMRS frequencyis special for REACT the rest have certain rules to follow for TX power and repeater ops. NO)NE can be claimed by any one person or group meaning its like CB radio in a sense. The growing usage of radios from the 90's up prompted the FCC to reallocate the GMRS band and create the 14 FRS channels (1/2 watt, non removable antenna, preset blisterpack toy radios for every one and their pets to use without getting a license.
Now whats interesting is how these FRS radios have evolved into carrying the Standard GMRS frequencies giving the radios a total of 22 channels now and no one thinks to license themselves to use these extra 8 channels but they do because the provide in some radios 1 full watt on those 8.

Last edited:

quarterwave

I think when most people balk at the license fee for GMRS it's because they find it unreasonable for the personal use aspect.

We know what commercial licensing costs, but in comparison, it's also used in for-profit business.

Myself, I have had a GMRS license for years, I am ok with the cost. Of course we would all like the government to stop trying to find every way to take more money, but if I couldn't afford the license, I wouldn't have the radios.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Your supporting argument is that it's going to get worse, so nothing that happens now is bad? By that logic, it would be perfectly reasonable for me to punch you in the face, because you're going to die anyway. Ridiculous.

The GMRS license fee is unreasonable because it provides no service—you have no claim to the use of any frequency or protection from interference by licensed users, the same level of service you get from unlicensed use, and there are no conditions on getting the license. No verification of any kind of compliance, no examination of knowledge or an understanding of the duties attached.

The reality is that GMRS is a yard with a gate that's never closed. The FCC should stop charging people for the privilege of bragging on RR that they went through the gate the right way, when they do nothing to stop people walking right through.

Enforce it, or make it free.

100% agreement. GMRS enforcement issues and licensing fees are a dead horse issue, and that's been the case now for years. The Fcc Screwed up when they added acceptance of Frs splinters with Gmrs radios.
Will I renew my gmrs license?? Hell no!! Will I continue to use gmrs? Sure, if I feel the need... I hold far more respect for my amateur radio license, for obvious reasons.

n9zas

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
100% agree with you Geweke and KF5YDR

GMRS has been and will continue to be a "free for all" band thanks mainly to the FCC themselves. I do NOT plan on throwing away another $90 to renew a license that is 100 % worthless, for the reasons already stated by others. The FCC needs to either put up or shut up! If you are not going to enforce your own rules then let it go the way of CB radios.Then again, when you think about it, it's not like they have a choice, really. The public has already taken over this realm with their bubble packs and such. Will I continue to use GMRS? No! I'm happy with my Ham radio license that I studied for and the privileges that I EARNED after passing my tests. I tried it, it's not worth the headaches! Moving on!

Manny

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Sadly, FRS and GMRS will be one and the same some day. There is almost zero enforcement, and the license renewal every five years just gives us honest GMRS users a warm feeling that we are playing by the rules. The mistake was (a) putting FRS channels in between GMRS channels, and (2) changing GMRS from a dedicated frequency on the license to "pick whatever you want". Both actions set the stage for what is happening today and its too late to go back and undo what has already been done.

Maybe the answer is for the FCC to throw in the towel. Make GMRS and FRS "licensed by rule". It will be just like CB radio. Plug and play. Not much different than what exists now in many locations.

As for a *better* GMRS, you need to start over. There are a bunch of VHF low band frequencies that are virtually unused anymore. Maybe you change the business band rules in Part 90 to allow individuals to obtain a license there for personal and small (home-based) business communications. Go through the frequency coordination process and get yourself a channel, then simply renew your license every 10 years, just like business and public safety do now.

Just a thought.

Rick, W8UU
GMRS Station KAE-9978

PACNWDude

Considering all of the little kids I here saying "Hello?" in my area, I doubt any of the parents are paying for a license.
Any price increase is only going to make it worse, like others have said. At least they are fairly short range.

Hans13

IDK if this thread is really all that old. Posts seem to be happening in waves...

W8UU, I agree with you. The cow has already left the barn and is just about through the open gate. I think license by rule is the only sensible way for the FCC to go unless they simply want to milk a small herd on controlled grazing while the feral herds freely graze the same fields. IMHO, the former will be an ever diminishing herd whereas the latter will only increase. When the FCC notices the funds coming from GMRS licensing continues to decrease, I hope they wouldn't decide to increase the fee again. That could only drive more towards unlicensed use or no use at all.

A group of families and friends around here locally have been discussing group communications. Many simply will not sit for the technician exam. At our next meeting I'm going to present, discuss, and recommend MURS & licensed GMRS. If not for the local open GMRS repeater with almost no traffic, the $90 license would be an impossible sell. Even with the local repeater, it's iffy. (We would get permission from the repeater owner and probably offer to help with repeater operating costs as a group.)

KB7MIB

Why is there so little enforcement of the GMRS regulations? When you hear a violation of the rules, do you document the violation and notify the FCC of it? If not, why not?
If the FCC is not aware of specific instances of a violation, they are not going to enforce it. They only react to specific complaints about specific violations.
If you hear a violation, report it to the FCC. Don't just ***** about it on some forum. Smh...

John
WPXJ-598
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.