• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New GMRS License $90

Status
Not open for further replies.

com501

Basically, the FCC isn't going to take action unless there is real money to be garnered from enforcement, it isn't worth their time. Everything is weighed against the very limited manpower of field agents and a staggering amount of real case work where the potential for tens of thousands in fines can be collected from one mountaintop in LA where a single tower with 100 licensees is 10 yards from where the license says it is.....

Josh380

I just paid for my GMRS license...first time. I had no problem paying the fees as it seems reasonable to me, considering having the ability to utilize repeaters, which is what attracted me to the service in the first place.

I wonder though, if GMRS goes the way of CB, what will happen to the repeaters? Will they all go private and be funded by members? Or will they just disappear all together?

Dantian

Basically, the FCC isn't going to take action unless there is real money to be garnered from enforcement, it isn't worth their time.

I'm not sure if you are implying that the money goes to the FCC. It doesn't, it goes to the U.S. Treasury. The FCC is required by law to collect money from the parties it regulates, and turn that money over to the Treasury. Congress decides how much money FCC must charge and how much funding the FCC gets.

If the money from "spectrum" auctions (actually, license auctions) went to the FCC, the FCC would have many billions of dollars. It would keep the hundreds of millions it has clawed back from phone carriers who have been found slamming and cramming their customers. That money went back to the phone customers.

Enforcement is money-driven, but not the money collected from fines - it's the money Congress decides to let the FCC spend. The current leadership there is very FCC-hostile and they are going to nickel and dime the FCC all the way.

Dantian

I wonder though, if GMRS goes the way of CB, what will happen to the repeaters? Will they all go private and be funded by members? Or will they just disappear all together?

The FCC said in WT 10-119:

We seek comment on whether repeater and base station operations are still needed in the GMRS given the availability of commercial alternatives that allow for more efficient use of the spectrum.

mikepdx

The FCC said in WT 10-119:
We seek comment on whether repeater and base station operations are still needed
in the GMRS given the availability of commercial alternatives that allow for more
efficient use of the spectrum.

That's from 2010 - 5 years ago
and the proposal went no where.

Worry not.

Dantian

That's from 2010 - 5 years ago and the proposal went no where.

It's true that FCC has taken no action on that. They did turn down the request to lower the license fee ... after they said several times they would do it.

But people who want to know what the most recent view of the FCC regarding GMRS repeaters should know what those last FCC remarks were. That's why I posted it.

The proposal is still pending and someday the FCC will act on it, even if it is only to close it as "stale", which they do to dozens and dozens of proposals that sit for years and nothing happens.

Or they might get around to closing it in some proper way by stating conclusions, making some changes and keeping some things the same.

One of the FCC commissioners recently stated that FCC needs to start getting more spectrum for new uses from the existing bands instead of going up higher and higher in frequency (microwave and millimeter-wave bands) which they have been doing.

KT0DD

One of the FCC commissioners recently stated that FCC needs to start getting more spectrum for new uses from the existing bands instead of going up higher and higher in frequency (microwave and millimeter-wave bands) which they have been doing.

Danger.. Will Robinson..Danger...

The upcoming Iphone raised youngster FCC reps will see little value in analogue two way communications and there goes GMRS/FRS/MURS as well as some of the amateur bands, (I suspect 70CM to be in danger as we hams are a secondary service there.)

Dantian

FCC lowers the fee, to take effect in a few months. See separate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.