New GMRS Repeater Downtown Raleigh?

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
I usually monitor FRS/GMRS frequencies cause, well, I want to. I noticed the past two days there is a GMRS Repeater on Channel 20 (I think, I am usually driving when I hear it).

It is definitely a repeater. I saw it on Repeater Book. Anyone know what the story on this is? Is it available for public use?

AA4BK

462.675 and 462.725 both have listed GMRS repeaters in Raleigh, and both are listed as public use. Those are the only two I know of in Raleigh. Channel 20 is the 462.675 one.

AA4BK

Yep same reason you'd use a repeater for anything else, wider coverage, longer reach. I haven't tried monitoring them so I have no idea how much they get used, but supposedly they're fairly popular in some areas on GMRS. I know most GMRS seems to be private users (similar to FRS) and a lot of times they're using tone codes to avoid hearing others, but of course on the repeater you use whatever the repeater requires. My guess is if folks are hanging out on the repeater they're probably the exception (for GMRS), and actually want to talk to other people.

AA4BK

It just recently went up. I was trying to be informative by posting this since I am one those awesome members on this forum. AND PROUD OF IT.
And for the record I don't see anything wrong with that at all, the more of that the better as far as I'm concerned!

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
This is all pretty cool.... I never got into the ham side of repeaters because of the LOOOOONG conversations they had, but maybe I will check these repeaters out and see what its about.

AA4BK

I can't really say much about the GMRS repeaters being discussed in this thread, but since there was a reference to the way folks have long conversations on ham repeaters, I'll just say I think that totally depends on who's talking and what's going on. I haven't had my ham license very long but I've had both long and short conversations, and of course heard both as well. Some folks just want to make contact and jump off. Others want to chat a bit, and some others want to talk a long time. Sometimes multiple folks will jump in, and other times it's just a couple people. So it really depends on a lot of things. But I've found the repeaters to be interesting, personally. I have noticed that on the DMR side people seem to have shorter conversations usually, possibly because a lot of the time unless you jump off to a chat channel you're using all the repeaters in the system (assuming you're on the systemwide channel). So a lot of conversations on DMR seem to be basically someone calling, checking that they can make a contact, then jumping off. But even there, there are exceptions. The good thing about ham radio is that whatever you want, it's out there, you just have to figure out what you want to do and make your own fun. :)

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
mygmrs lists 4 repeaters in the Raleigh area and 2 on 675 but neither are downtown. One in Holley Springs and one in Apex. I have used 725 while traveling south as I come down 501 from VA.

As for use it depends. MY repeaters are for myself, family and close friends thats it. They are not open and I most likely wont answer if someone jumps on it. I pay the electric bills, equipment costs, tower fees etc. Some use GMRS as a ham lite per say and it is disturbing for legacy GMRS users. I have litterly listened to a 2M net then 30 minutes later same guys on GMRS running a net again. Its crazy. Luckily in my area its not used much and its enjoyable to use.

GMRS is also becoming quite large in the 4x4 world.

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
I'm on the border of Holly Springs and Apex, so I will check those out as well. Plenty of GMRS radios sitting around that I could monitor and see what the traffic is about, thank you @jeepsandradios !

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I usually monitor FRS/GMRS frequencies cause, well, I want to. I noticed the past two days there is a GMRS Repeater on Channel 20 (I think, I am usually driving when I hear it).

It is definitely a repeater. I saw it on Repeater Book. Anyone know what the story on this is? Is it available for public use?
I've been listening from downtown Raleigh since this was first posted and haven't heard any GMRS or FRS traffic in the past few days, not saying they aren't there just saying I haven't heard them from the downtown area.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening from downtown Raleigh since this was first posted and haven't heard any GMRS or FRS traffic in the past few days, not saying they aren't there just saying I haven't heard them from the downtown area.
Update: Today heard short broken message on 462.725 PL 100.0, did not sound like a business but a person checking the repeater.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
I heard it on Channel 20 on my way home from work around 5. The repeater identification refers you to a website for a GMRS org In the area. Heard it from Boylan Heights to Farmers Market.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I heard it on Channel 20 on my way home from work around 5. The repeater identification refers you to a website for a GMRS org In the area. Heard it from Boylan Heights to Farmers Market.
GMRS.org is a California group which would be odd to hear on the east coast. I still dont see any other 675 repeaters pop up on mygmrs.com but that doesn't mean someone didn't throw a small one up. Many dont publish info on them, or its in the testing phase at this point. If you grab a tone from it maybe we can track it further.