New GRE PSR 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim9251

Just got one of these scanners, a lot different from the old Realistic I used a thousand years ago. I am impressed. But, no USB cable came with it, so I had to order one from GRE. A little intimidated about programming, but the manual was clear and VHF simplex a piece of cake. I like the way I can program the led light to have different colors, the screen to come on, etc. I even managed to manually program a Project 25 talk group using the hex codes. I'll wait for the cable and use WIN500 to program the rest though. I read on another post the NWS alert scaring the pants of another poster, I found where you can turn that alarm off if you want under the SAME settings.

Impressive scanner.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Just got one of these scanners, a lot different from the old Realistic I used a thousand years ago. I am impressed. But, no USB cable came with it, so I had to order one from GRE. A little intimidated about programming, but the manual was clear and VHF simplex a piece of cake. I like the way I can program the led light to have different colors, the screen to come on, etc. I even managed to manually program a Project 25 talk group using the hex codes. I'll wait for the cable and use WIN500 to program the rest though. I read on another post the NWS alert scaring the pants of another poster, I found where you can turn that alarm off if you want under the SAME settings.

Impressive scanner.

Wow! You are the first one to report that there was no included cable with the PSR-500 that I have seen. I wonder if that is a new thing for GRE.

If you need any help using the WIN500 software, you will find an illustrated "tutorial" at WIN500 Utah Radio.

jim9251

Oh I bought it from a third party, thought I was getting a good deal on a new one...until I had to pay $30.00 for the USB cable. Anyway, I'm very happy with this.

jim9251

Got my USB cable delivered this morning. Plugged it in, upgraded to the 1.7 firmware and using WIN500 put all the Colorado DTRS and conventional channels I want to listen to. Took a second. Works great!

hoser147

I'm thinking about getting the same unit today. Sounds like yours is working out okay for you?

Its a top notch scanner, you wont be disappointed. Since your already a premium subscriber all you will need is some software to get you up and running. You can program it by hand but the software makes it so much nicer.

Highpockets

What's nice about going to HRO to pick one up, they may have the 500/396 out on display and you'll get to hold it and see how they both look and feel, and if they are programmed you may even get to hear them both, last time I bought from HRO I played with the units on display and it helped me to make up my mind on a ham rig. What ever unit you decide on, good luck, I'm sure you'll have allot of fun with it.

michaelmaxim

Well I picked up my PRS-500 at lunch today and then downloaded WIN500 when I got back to my desk. I had three counties and Alexandria City programmed in less than 10 minutes. I've been listening to Fire/EMS/Police all day long. I can't believe how easy it was to use WIN500 and get this scanner programmed. I am a total novice (as in just bought my first analog scanner last week) and quickly became interested in hearing all the digital comm that was happening which my analog couldn't pickup. Since my local agencies simulcast for the pagers that fire/ems carry, I was still able to hear dispatch on the analog box. Now with this digital unit, it takes it to a whole new level.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I am a total novice (as in just bought my first analog scanner last week) and quickly became interested in hearing all the digital comm that was happening...

Wow, having read some of your earlier posts, I can see you decided to push that learning curve...

It is good to see that the object oriented scanning is catching on and is easy for noobs to use. I hope it inspires more to the hobby (which might be catalyzed by the iScan).

The 500 is a dream of a scanner, it really has all the bells and whistles I need (though the Uniden XT feature of P25 Conventional RID is a welcome feature).

jim9251

Sold it on eBay. My county is still on high band VHF, sheriff, town marshal, fire, ambulances are all dispatched on one channel and there's very little radio traffic. I've been told they are never moving to the Colorado digital service due to lack of funds. The only thing I've been listening to is the CSP making traffic stops in my five county area, and some departments 20 and 60 miles away. Just don't really care to hear all that. So I got a Realistic PRO-31 for $10.00 and happy with that. The GRE500 is a great little scanner though.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
This is the best scanner I have ever had also. Our area is setting up a gegional P25 system, and it's great to hear the setup of the systems around the area. Even though I have had mine for a year, it still never gets old. I've also had a chance to show a few owners in my area how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.