New -- GRE PSR-700 as an airband radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

pm4hire

As a newby, I'm interested in purchasing a PSR-700 scanner.
I like the concept and think this type of radio has the potential
to bring many new folks into the radio scanning hobby. My
primary interest is in airband monitoring, both commercial and
military.

My question is: Will the new PSR-700 be a sufficient radio for
airband monitoring?

Tom Welch
Mesa, AZ USA

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It should work quite well for both civilian and military aircraft. I used the Radio Shack PRO-107 for those bands and it performed very well.

pm4hire

GRE PSR 700 Ordered

I ordered the PSR-700 from Universal Radio today. Local Radio Shacks did not have the Pro-107 in stock, otherwise, I would have purchased this radio locally. THANKS!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Let us know how it works out for you. You appear to be the first adopter of the PSR700 that has spoken up. I suspect it will be similar to the RadioShack Pro-107, but it would be interesting to know the differences between the two radios beyond the case and keypad. I see you're also in a digital system area. Curious, I wonder if this is the reason the Pro-107 wasn't carried in your location?

pm4hire

Dave, you're...

probably correct, since Radio Shack is demand driven.

But my focus is on airband radio. My next task is find a
good all around aftermarket antenna for the PSR-700.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
But my focus is on airband radio. My next task is find a good all around aftermarket antenna for the PSR-700.

*My* preferred antenna for VHF/UHF Air Band is the Maldol AL-500H (VHF Air 118~135MHz / UHF Air 230~360MHz). I should warn you that it isn't an antenna that one can easily hide in that it's around 19" - 20" long. It's also pretty skinny, too. However, with all the air band capable radios *I* have tried it on it has been the best performer VS all the other antennas I've tried. Unfortunately I don't remember where I bought the ones I have. {WAN GRIN!}

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {VB GRIN!}

2m2z1t

PSR700 Antenna

Tom-

You might want to check out CCrane. They have a scanner antenna they call the "gainer", it is about 15.75 inches long and sells for about $20. Sounds quite similar to the one Halfpint wrote about.

God luck and happy scanning!

Areko

Premium Subscriber
*My* preferred antenna for VHF/UHF Air Band is the Maldol AL-500H (VHF Air 118~135MHz / UHF Air 230~360MHz). I should warn you that it isn't an antenna that one can easily hide in that it's around 19" - 20" long. It's also pretty skinny, too. However, with all the air band capable radios *I* have tried it on it has been the best performer VS all the other antennas I've tried. Unfortunately I don't remember where I bought the ones I have. {WAN GRIN!}

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {VB GRIN!}

I will second this motion. Works quite well on my psr-300 for the aviation bands and isn't to shabby if you listen to other VHF freqs.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Diamond RH77CA -Best way to go!

This antenna is HANDS DOWN, the best antenna for monitoring almost every band above 30 Mhz. Don't just take my word for it. Take a look: Diamond RH77CA Product Reviews Here is a link with the specs: Diamond® Antenna ~ RH77CA HT/Scanner Antenna
I have used this antenna for just about everything from basic two-way transmitting to aircraft monitoring to satelllite contacts on my HT. My advise to you is don't limit yourself. If you are going to spend that kind of money, get something that will work on other bands as well just in case you want to explore them in the future. You can't go wrong with this antenna. Ask some of the guys on here, they will tell you the same thing. Just my $0.02 worth.

Manny

N8IAA

Amen, Manny. I've had the bnc version for years, and just recently picked up the sma for my FT60 and VX354. Outstanding antenna, receive and transmit:) You won't go wrong it.
Larry

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Amen, Manny. I've had the bnc version for years, and just recently picked up the sma for my FT60 and VX354. Outstanding antenna, receive and transmit:) You won't go wrong it.
Larry
I'm with ya! I have them both as well. The BNC is on my Pro-162 and the SMA is on my VX-7R. Not the type of antenna you want with you on a windy day, however! LOL...

Manny

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
This antenna is HANDS DOWN, the best antenna for monitoring almost every band above 30 Mhz. Don't just take my word for it. Take a look: Diamond RH77CA Product Reviews Here is a link with the specs: Diamond® Antenna ~ RH77CA HT/Scanner Antenna
I have used this antenna for just about everything from basic two-way transmitting to aircraft monitoring to satelllite contacts on my HT. My advise to you is don't limit yourself. If you are going to spend that kind of money, get something that will work on other bands as well just in case you want to explore them in the future. You can't go wrong with this antenna. Ask some of the guys on here, they will tell you the same thing. Just my $0.02 worth.

Manny

Yeah, I've a couple 2-3 RH77s and have tried them on just about every HH Scanner I have in both my `shack' and `Bide-A-Wee Home For Orphaned & Superannuated Electronics". (About the only HH scanner antenna I don't own or have tested has been the Max Systems 8HH AKA "The Lawn Dart". {GRIN!})

Whilst the RH77s are danged good performers the Maldol AL0500H, at least IMHO, kicks some serious butt on the RH77. Especially at Air Shows where one is also dealing with Mil-Air and one is trying to pick up the Airforce birds out where they `line up' for their `pass(s)'.

IMNSHO one really *cannot* ever have too many antennas for one's scanner, especially the Handhelds, because of all the `compromises' inherent to Rubber Duckies. There are times when I have as many as a half dozen antennas in my `shoulder bag', `range bag' or as SWMBO calls it `man purse' and thats not counting the one actually on the scanner. (The `number / variety' I am lugging around depends upon what I am `planning' / doing'.)

In the case of my PSR-700 I am currently in the `testing stage' antenna-wise and, so far, have tried the `stock' one that came with it, a PRO-97 `stock' antenna, and a RS 800MHz antenna. I have not, yet, gotten around to trying one of the RH77s and, only in passing, have I tried one of my Maldol AL-500Hs because it just happened to be handy because of this thread. (For just a quick `listen', between the PSR-700 and a PSR-500, the Maldol the first impression was that *I* would be hard pressed to tell any major difference between the 2 scanners. I suspect that I am going to have to try and get to an airshow with both radios and *that* may be a little while since I haven't heard of a current one in my immediate vicinity. {WAN GRIN!})

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢...

Status
Not open for further replies.