New gre psr 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I just received my new GRE PSR 800 a couple of days ago and I have already figured out the radio. Very nice scanner radio. I have corrupted the SD card a few times trying to program it and finally stopped corrupting it. The beautiful thing abut this scanner is that everything is stored on a micro SD card and the radio is just the shell of the unit. By upgrading the micro SD card to a larger size this scanner can hold as much data as you want.

I also bought another micro 2gb SD card and a reader so I can have a backup and also needed the card reader because it takes forever to transfer the data between the computer and the USB port on the PSR 800. This also allows me to practice with it and if I corrupt anything its okay I have a backup. Sweet.

The stock antenna is horrible. GRE should be embarrased to sell a scanner with a cheap antenna and no batteries and no power A/C adapter. But you can't have everything. But for over 400 bucks you should get everything included because the antenna is everything. Also, they should have least put some cheap re-chargeable batteries in the box to complete the unit. I did buy the GRECOM 800 mega hertz antenna which makes it nice to receive transmissions now. Their tech support is good. Everytime I call somebody answers the phone and they try their best to help. They are not pro scanner freak techs but at least somebody answers the phone.

For the power I got an old blackberry USB long cable and USB a/c charger which I found in a pile of junk with 5 volts which I needed to make sure it was right output voltage so I did not blow up the scanner. It works beautiful. I can also use the USB port on my stock chevrolet car to power my PSR 800.

I give the scanner 4 out of 5 stars right now. The biggest dis-appointment is the life of the batteries. It chews up batteries like there is no tomorrow. I am reading alot of the forums and looking into different batteries and smart chargers and setting the voltage pattern on the PSR 800 software.

With the systems that I listen to in my county is still on a Motorols Type II Smartzone system and has been on this system for the past 20 years and I am able to pickup everything as well as some of the surrounding counties are doing P25 Phase I so I am good for now. At least my county and surrounding counties have not gone to P25 phase II yet. I guess our beautiful state of California is broke and has no money to keep up on communication upgrades yet. But we will see with the D block of 700 mega hertz. At least when its time to upgrade our trunking system in my county there will be the new and latest and greatest scanner for that technology.

BoboPinky

I give the scanner 4 out of 5 stars right now. The biggest dis-appointment is the life of the batteries. It chews up batteries like there is no tomorrow. I am reading alot of the forums and looking into different batteries and smart chargers and setting the voltage pattern on the PSR 800 software.

I completely agree with you on the 800 on all your points. I've only had mine abut 6 weeks now. At first I was having the "battery issue", but after adjusting the voltage settings (search the forums for some starting points), I now get nearly 10 hrs of continuous run time (using 2700mah batts). I will say, I'm a little disappointed that GRE was not able to get these voltage numbers closer out of the box. At first I was only getting about 3 - 4 hrs and literately was thinking I would return the radio based on this alone, it was useless to me if it only ran that long (again, these were brand new Powerex 2700 batteries). But, now after adjusting the voltage settings I am happy.

Now, if only my face plate finish was not beginning to fail (I have a call into GRE about this, and still waiting 4 days now - not too happy about that CS... for my RMA, but this is another story.).

Yep, stock antenna is a joke, if only for its build quality. Replaced with a nice 450mhz antenna, having never even pulled the stock one out of the box.

And, while I'm on my soap box, who's idea was it to put the SQL "Knob" on the top of the radio??? That should be the volume knob! Very poor idea to have the Vol on the "key pad" - FAIL.

But, still, it is about the best looking / working portable scanner out there.

SCPD

QRT
I completely agree with you on the 800 on all your points. I've only had mine abut 6 weeks now. At first I was having the "battery issue", but after adjusting the voltage settings (search the forums for some starting points), I now get nearly 10 hrs of continuous run time (using 2700mah batts). I will say, I'm a little disappointed that GRE was not able to get these voltage numbers closer out of the box. At first I was only getting about 3 - 4 hrs and literately was thinking I would return the radio based on this alone, it was useless to me if it only ran that long (again, these were brand new Powerex 2700 batteries). But, now after adjusting the voltage settings I am happy.

Now, if only my face plate finish was not beginning to fail (I have a call into GRE about this, and still waiting 4 days now - not too happy about that CS... for my RMA, but this is another story.).

Yep, stock antenna is a joke, if only for its build quality. Replaced with a nice 450mhz antenna, having never even pulled the stock one out of the box.

And, while I'm on my soap box, who's idea was it to put the SQL "Knob" on the top of the radio??? That should be the volume knob! Very poor idea to have the Vol on the "key pad" - FAIL.

What battery settings do you use?

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

My suggestion is to create a work order ticket by email so you have a paper trail on the issue that you are having. Once you create a service ticket you get an email receipt for your records. I called GRE yesterday and they are going to ship me out a new faceplate but I am just going to keep it and clean up the other case and get all of the silk covering off and have a shinning coat. I will just keep the faceplace for a later date when I damage the other one in time.

Please let me know exactly what the battery settings are that you are using. These are the battery settings that GRE mailed to me yesterday through their online email support service. I think GRE has great service and they are on top of things. I always believe that a good company could always strive to do better and that is how they will succeed in the future. Plus having a good customer base is the key to success.

First, the battery issue. We are aware of some issues with some PSR-800 scanners where the default battery level settings are not working correctly. There is an area within the PC Application on the Advanced tab where these values may be changed. Based on recomendations from some customers, many are using these values for the battery levels:

14 Bars : 4.80v
12 Bars : 4.70v
10 Bars : 4.60v
8 Bars : 4.50v
6 Bars : 4.40v
4 Bars : 4.30v
2 Bars : 4.20v
0 Bars : 4.10v
Alert: 4.08v

We are also aware of the paint issue, and would be happy to replace the front cover for you under warranty.

Please provide the following information and issue an RMA for the faceplate:

Full Name:
Address:
City, State Zip:
Phone#:
Model #:
S/N:
Date and place of purchase:
Best email address for RMA instructions:
Are you comfortable replacing the faceplate yourself or prefer to send it in for repair?

steve888

I'm a new PSR-800 user, too, and really like the scanner. It's hard for me to compare it to anything else since this is the first scanner I've owned. But, I agree with you, the stock antenna is a piece of junk and it's a bit amazing that they don't include at least a cheap set of batteries to go along with a $460 scanner.

That being said, the sound quality is very good on the PSR-800 and I routinely pick up transmissions a good 10-12 miles away from police and firefighters on the ground with the new antenna I bought (an Austin Condor). So, I am so far very happy and very impressed!

bigsky109

Just received my new GRE PSR 800 yesterday and so far it is working great. I can't believe how easy it is to program compared to my old Pro528. I even corrected the battery meter as stated above and so far so good. My local PD went digital P25 and they now come in very clear but I notice the voices sound a little "digitized". The local military AFB is digital and they come in as well, sometimes encrypted though. Since this thing is so easy to program I an receiving things I never knew were there with my old scanner. I am very pleased with the new scanner. it should provide years of service.

Oyabun

Premium Subscriber
Where in the PC app. ( Under The Advanced Tab ) Would I find where I can Change the battery levels?!?!?!?! How and where can I change these values?

bigsky109

Where in the PC app. ( Under The Advanced Tab ) Would I find where I can Change the battery levels?!?!?!?! How and where can I change these values?

It has to be version 1.05 and it is in the "ADVANCED TAB"

See attached file:

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:

jackj

You may have to update the scanner's firmware and EZscan software first. Not a problem to do just follow the instructions.

bigsky109

You may have to update the scanner's firmware and EZscan software first. Not a problem to do just follow the instructions.

You are correct. I had to "update" mine the hard way. It would not UPDATE so I had to download the newest version off of the Internet and install it that way. Not sure what happened but if you have a problem updating the software, just d/l and install it from the Internet.

speedwerx

looks like mine isn't updating the software update either. I'll have to do it manually. also how can you tell if radio has latest database?

jackj

EZ Scan will tell you, just click on update and check for library update. It will list your current library and the latest that is on RR.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.