New GRE PSR600 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoid52

Help! I'm so confused! I am trying to scan Police trunk freq in my area. This is my first trunking scanner. User friendly?? Hell no! I read the manual and have no Idea what its talking about. I am trying to scan the state police in Mansfield, PA. Also would like to listen to the Wellsboro village police. Can somebody just list the proceedure to program button by button for me? I got a head ache.....Thanks

technoid52

Thanks Dan! This thing is very hard to understand. But I managed to put 2 digital non trunking freq in the memory. I just have to figure how to get out of this scan search and get into the #22 trunk.

Nasby

Sadly you won't be able to monitor the PA State Police. They use a radio system called Open Sky that no scanner on the market can currently receive.

technoid52

Thank you

Sadly you won't be able to monitor the PA State Police. They use a radio system called Open Sky that no scanner on the market can currently receive.
Now I understand why I can't get them. Thanks for the responce. This scanner is unlike anything I have ever used. Its slow going trying to figure out how to use it. I know There is trunking in the area. I can hear the control freqs. But still having trouble getting it to follow. Ive got CONV digital stuff programed. But its a mess right now with birdies being locked onto. I can't seem to lock them out. Even when I hit Function then Lock/0. They still come back.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
PSR-600 Help

Are you using software to program the radio or trying to program it manually? Using some of the software available makes the job much easier... I use Butel and found it to be much easier to program than my Uniden 396T.

technoid52

Are you using software to program the radio or trying to program it manually? Using some of the software available makes the job much easier... I use Butel and found it to be much easier to program than my Uniden 396T.
I tried to use the pre-programed software that came with the radio. But it does not work. I keep getting a message that says it can't find it?

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
PSR-600 Help

That almost sounds like the computer is not 'seeing' the radio connected to the USB port... Does your software allow you to run 'virtual control' on it? Look for 'Connect' in drop down menus to link the radio with your computer, once you do that you should be able to program it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A more important question is did you load up the drivers for the USB connection and validate that it allocated a COM port that is actually available? Many newcomers think that this USB stuff is plug and pray...er, play...but depending on your OS, it isn't - it takes some doing to get it right.

Our wiki has a section on how to access and use Windows Device Manager to diagnose your connection issues...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

HTH...Mike

technoid52

That almost sounds like the computer is not 'seeing' the radio connected to the USB port... Does your software allow you to run 'virtual control' on it? Look for 'Connect' in drop down menus to link the radio with your computer, once you do that you should be able to program it.
you mis-understand. I am talking about what was put in the scanner. There are 10 pre-programmed trunk systems that you can pick from and move inside the radio menue. I followed the users guide instuctions but it did not work.

N8NCX

Premium Subscriber
I tried to use the pre-programed software that came with the radio. But it does not work. I keep getting a message that says it can't find it?
You should take up the software error issue with the author. I don't think you mention who that is but obviously you are not doing something right. Once you figure out how to use that software you won't need to program manually. There scanners are really made to use programming software with them.

N8NCX

Premium Subscriber
Open Sky uses VoIP. All the radio gear is set up not unlike a wifi infrastructure. It will be a long time before the initiative to build a receiver available for the public occurs. And from what I understand there have been some problems with the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.