New guy at Valley Forge, PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom135

Premium Subscriber
Purchased a new BCD996XT with the USB cable assy.

My other scanner is a 20 year old BearCat which still lets me listen to NFM Amateur Radio on 2M and 440FM.

Probably be a week or two before the new radio arrives.

I been reading the "Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual" to try and get a headstart on this new scanner. Sure a lot different than my old BearCat.

I am hoping to use "Freescan" software to download Montgomery County, PA from this site then load it into the BCD996XT thru the special USB cable. I am a premium member. I am guessing the file with the .CSV extension is what Freescan wants to see.

Anyway, lots of great information on this site.

Tom................

Tom135

Premium Subscriber
Amateur radio is not NFM. narrow banding did not include ham freqs. But welcome to RR.
Hi,

I disagree about narrow band FM. On the 2 Meter Amateur Radio Band FM or frequency modulated transmission is the most common form of communications. On the HF bands or 1.8 to 30 Mhz. SSB or Single Sideband is probably the most popular form of modulation.

NFM or narrow band frequency modulation transmitters operate with a maximum deviation of 5khz. The other form or WFM wide band FM is what the Broadcasters use which is 75khz deviation.

Anyway nice to meet you and hope to see you again.

Tom.........
K3TF

Tom135

Premium Subscriber
welcome Tom

Im from the Valley Forge area myself....any help I can give you just ask

Sal
Hi Sal,

Thanks!!! I may take you up on that. So far I am still waiting for the new scanner.

I downloaded "Freescan" software,

Imported all the Montgomery county "Trunking System" and imported some 2 meter repeater stuff.

I loaded the RS232 to USB software driver for the Uniden special USB cable.

So I think I am all set once I get the new Scanner here.

If it does not fly I may send you an e-mail. We are probably fairly close by.

I am also a ham. Call is K3TF

I worked mostly CW over here for the past 30 years. Mostly QRQ or high speed keyboard stuff on 40 meters. Member of CFO, FOC, and A1 group. I sold all my ham gear a couple years ago. It seemed the 40 meter cw stuff was "drying up".

I just retired here. Worked in electronics for too many years. Now looking for things to keep me busy.

My station was:

Icom 780
Icom 4KL
Icom 756
tower with log-periodic and TA33

Tom..........

Tom135

Premium Subscriber
Hi Davemiller16,

My mistake, I think. We are both talking about different things. I was using NFM to refer to the old 2 meter FM standard and I think your referring to the new "narrowbanding" standard that is still being debated. I agree "narrowbanding" will never be used on Amateur Radio. Or I hope not.

Anyway, back to trying to get my new Scanner working.

Tom............

KK4ELO

may be, as im not trying to start a pissing contest. i agree that you may be talking about something totally different. i see you have been in it my whole life as i am 30 myself. i havent studied radio that far back, lol.

therefore my apologies for not knowing what i was talking about.

i hpe you enjoy your new radio. i enjoy radio period. hope to chat it up with you on 10m someday. call here is KK4ELO.
until then, 73 from manchester, tn

Status
Not open for further replies.