New Guy Here from Saskatchewan

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Terrence_

Good afternoon and Happy Thanksgiving all.

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.
I live in South/Eastern Saskatchewan and have been interested in this hobby for a year or so. I started with a Hallicrafters S-77A receiver and a broomstick antenna I bought from Fleabay. I bought that antenna because I didn't really want a longwise antenna across my backyard. I then purchased a Panasonic RF 4800 receiver and still have the broomstick antenna. I'm in the works of ordering a Hy-gain DX-88 antenna and right now and trying to do the shortwave listening rather than the Ham part just yet. I am interested in purchasing a Kenwood TS-790A Transceiver but am trying to find some info about possibly disabling the Transmit function as I don't want to accidentally transmit with ought my license. I want to buy this unit because its supposed to be a real good unit and will be good still when I do go for a Ham license down the road.

My other hobbies include fta satellite tv and building and collecting antique cars and parts.

Have a great day!!

Terrence

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I am a little confused [as I usually am]. You mentioned doing DX and the Hygain antenna you mention is an HF antenna. The Kenwood radio you mention is a dual band 2 m/ 70 cm only radio which would not work the best with the Hygain antenna. I didn't really look into the specifics of the Kenwood but the 2 sites I looked at seem to show it does not receive outside the 2m and 70 cm ham band [1.2 G with optional board]. So if you are not interested in becoming an amateur radio operator, there might be other receivers that fit you need. Regarding transmit function, I am not familiar with that Kenwood, but as often mentioned in other forums to avoid transmitting is to not connect a mic or remove if already connected.

_Terrence_

I am a little confused [as I usually am]. You mentioned doing DX and the Hygain antenna you mention is an HF antenna. The Kenwood radio you mention is a dual band 2 m/ 70 cm only radio which would not work the best with the Hygain antenna. I didn't really look into the specifics of the Kenwood but the 2 sites I looked at seem to show it does not receive outside the 2m and 70 cm ham band [1.2 G with optional board]. So if you are not interested in becoming an amateur radio operator, there might be other receivers that fit you need. Regarding transmit function, I am not familiar with that Kenwood, but as often mentioned in other forums to avoid transmitting is to not connect a mic or remove if already connected.

Wow thats great info! Thank you! As I said, I'm new to this and any guidance would be appreciated. I do plan on getting my ham license sooner than later but wans't planning on it right now. Just tonight I was doing some reading and am going to order the Ham Guidance Manual. I need to do some reading for sure. When I get into something, I usually get into it fast. I really like tuning in shortwave right now but would like to add the gear I need to get into ham in the near future. I really have been searching long hours to try to find the best vertical antenna for shortwave listening but seam to be running in circles. I though the DC-88 Hy-Gain antenna would work, but if not, I'm happy you're here to tell me that before I spend $500 on it.
This Kenwood transceiver with power supply is $450 which I though was decent comparing to other prices I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Terrence_

I will like to purchase an antenna for ham once I get my license and convince my bride to be okay with wires hanging in the yard. There is just so much to learn in this hobby which I like, but at sometimes is completely overwelming. So I just have to sit back for a bit a take it all in and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
First of all welcome to the forms you will find a hole lot of info and help here,take it one step at a time the best way to get in to ham radio is read the book first really.Learn the theory of ham radio it will benefit you in so many ways......

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Well, I believe the DC-88 Hy-Gain antenna is a ham antenna. It should cover all of the HF frequencies although I am not too familiar with it. What I was trying to say is that this antenna is not useful for the radio that you are looking at. As I always state it is better to see if there is an Amateur Radio Club in your area. If so, attend a meeting and get to know the hams and see if some will help you along the way to getting a license [this is called finding an Elmer]. A local club may even have courses towards Basic with Honors. Books and on line tests or tests may not explain everything there is to learn. Now for swl, I really can't help with receiver only equipment as I do not have any and have never looked into them. Most ham radios designed for HF transceiving will probably work for your swl. And you can always leave the mic in a drawer somewhere to prevent accidental transmitting. There are transceivers that will do most ham bands [HF, 6 metres, 2 metres and 70 cms. which are the multiband transceivers. Look at the radios on Radioworld https://www.radioworld.ca/ under amateur radio for a list of these transceivers. Once you get into ham radios antennas, most do require ground radials but these can be buried out of site. Most antennas to require mounting above 32 feet for optimal use so will require guide wires unless you go the tower route.

_Terrence_

Well thanks alot everyone for the welcome and for the info. Like I mentioned earlier, I like to jump into things pretty fast when I start a new hobby. Now I've found that this hobby isn't like the rest. I decided that I'll slow down a bit and contact a local ham guy and attend meetings with him and learn more about the hobby from him before I jump in too far. I want to make sure that I know exactly what I'm buying and what will work for me so I not wasting money.
Again, thank you so much everyone for all of the info. I have now put a hold on purchasing the equipment that wouldn't play good together.

VE6E0

Hi Terrence

First welcome to the hobby, you will spend many frustrating but satisfying hours in the years to come.

The DX-88 is a good antenna, though it will be be noisier than either a longwire, dipole or loop. With your 4800, a 50 foot wire, even taped along the wall at the ceiling would be sufficient, though something in the attic or outside would perform better.

As Robert mentioned, most verticals will require ground radials, and to for the antenna to be efficient for transmitting 16 to 24 will give you the 'best bang' for the buck, though more radials will increase the performance, it is in my opinion, at a diminished return. (Not worth the effort, though I do have 64 on my vertical) The best way to mount the ground radials is to lower the lawn mower to the lowest setting and scalp the lawn, then lay the radials down, then pounding down metal ground staples to keep them in place. Let nature take it's course and the grass will grow over the wire.

Now depending on what you want to listen to on your radio, be it shortwave broadcasters (not sure how many are left, but the IBC bands are less crowded than when I started), utility stations, amateurs or AM BCB DX, you may want to tailor your antenna for the activity, If you were interested in AM BCB DX, then a home made loop antenna, may be a benefit.

The Kenwood is an all-mode dual band VHF/UHF radio, so it would be a good radio for satellite, SSB, meteor shower, and general FM repeater use, but it is not a HF radio. (shortwave is in the HF range of 1.6 - 30 MHz) '

I think you will find, your interests in radio, will change or maybe evolve, into other aspects of radio. So today, you might want be interested in HF utility comms, then get into scanning of railroads, then into moon bounce, etc. I do not know of anyone personally, that has not stayed in one aspect of the hobby for the duration. With an open mind, you can learn something everyday, at least this is what a teacher told me years ago, and this holds true with this hobby. There is always something different, new and challenging. Just browse VE6AB's blog to see what I mean.

DAWN THREADER PHTOGRAPHY

73 de Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.