New Guy Here......

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

Let me start by saying I have been lurking here for a few months and caught the scanning bug, again. Of course I had the CB Bug 30 years ago as well.....

I've had a few receivers over the years and had them put away until recently and decided to purchase a BC898T as well.

Thanks to some very helpful members on this forum, I was able to figure out how to get the damn thing programmed for trunk tracking scanning.

I also have an ICOM R7100 that I bought a few years ago when my interest was peaked then as well. And I just ordered a BC996T and expect it to be delivered next week.

I currently reside in SW Florida - Lee County..........lol.........see newbie faq...

Having said all that, since I'll be retiring in the near future, I have also decided to finally work on getting my HAM Radio License. (Heck, I'll have to have something to do with all my time....)

So, I'm looking for some pointers to attain my license and suggestions for equipment and antennas to get my feet wet in the hobby. Nothing too elaborate for now as I'll be moving to SE Tennessee or NE Georgia within the next couple of years. Hopefully by then, I'll know more about just what I want to do in the hobby.

Let the information highway open and I thank each and everyone of you in advance for any positive information you might share with me.

Taloniilm

Study Material

welcome aboard... getting your HAM ticket isn't as difficult or scary as many people think. I spent maybe 3 months or so running through the online tests prior to contacting a local HAM club and getting on the list of test attendees. below are the links to the sites I used ... best of luck and be sure to keep us posted !!!

73's

http://www.radioexam.org/
http://www.eham.net/exams/

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Program

Hi All..I am just now starting to use http://www.hamtestonline.com/study.jsp and it has helped so far and hope to get my license before July 1 2008..I don't see why they don't just come out with a special license for those who use a scanner? I don't need to know all the stuff related to Ham as I might never use it and you don't need it for scanning...Cheers..Keithmj

Last edited:

hoser147

Dixieboyfl, I might have to bounce ya for some info down the line, I got family there in Cape Coral and across the South Bridge over off College. Good Scannin Hoser

dixieboyfl

Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Dixieboyfl, I might have to bounce ya for some info down the line, I got family there in Cape Coral and across the South Bridge over off College. Good Scannin Hoser

No problem, I'll do what I can fer ya.....I live in South Cape and drive College everday.

Got any recomendations for first ham radio/antenna combo ?

Dixieboy

hoser147

dixieboyfl said:
No problem, I'll do what I can fer ya.....I live in South Cape and drive College everday.

Got any recomendations for first ham radio/antenna combo ?

Dixieboy

Cant help ya on that one, I like that Leapn Lizard watering hole there by the S Bridge.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.